The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2000, 01:45 PM   #1
Futo Inu

OK, so far I've broken a 1/16" punch, and the tip off of a pretty solid screwdriver, too. The instructions say something like "using a small block of wood, press down on front of sight, then tap the sight rearward and out". First of all, this doesn't work. Second, I cannot tell whether the pin needs to be removed or not. It does not look like it does - the pin is not catching on the holes, and the instructions don't mention anything about the pin. Third. There is no surface upon which to "tap" the sight out. This is getting ridiculous. Can anyone help?
Old September 5, 2000, 03:08 PM   #2
beemerb

Push down on the front of the sight the use a small screwdriver to wedge it back.THERE IS NO PIN.There are slots the the sight rides in on both sides(inside)or the ears that come up from the barrel.I hope I explained it in a way that is understandable.
Good luck

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 5, 2000, 03:58 PM   #3
Futo Inu

Thanks, beemerb, but unfortunately, it's not that simple. I must have some kind of backward-arse, POS SKS because my friend just did the same thing to his and he said he had no problem in just pulling the sight out with pliers after pushing down on the front. Well, I have tried this, pulling as hard as possible with a very good grip on the sight, and it would not budge. I have also already tried prying it out, but even the largest, strongest screwdriver I could fit in there BROKE OFF when I tried to pry the sight back, and yes, that is with it pushed all the way down. I have heard that some of these have pins or 1/2 pins, and there certaintly appears to be a 1/16" pin within the round ears, but it doesn't seem to extend far enough out to keep the sight from going back though. This is a Russkie, and my friend's that came right out is a Chinese, so this looks like a job for the gunsmith...
Old September 5, 2000, 06:11 PM   #4
Futo Inu

Finally got it! Man that thing was a bear. It took two people. The key was that the downward pressure on the sight had to be TREMENDOUS pressure. Ridiculously hard. Anyway, thanks, bee.