The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 1999, 06:11 PM   #1

If you know of any, please advise. A few of us old curmudgeons have some damascas-steel barreled side-by-sides that we want to shoot in competition. Thanks in advance.
Old August 19, 1999, 10:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you tried the links at SASS's website and CAS-city? www.sassnet.com and www.cascity.com . Old West Scrounger lists them on his website, it can be linked from SASS or; www.snowcrest.net/oldwest
Old August 19, 1999, 05:30 PM   #3
GreybeardB

Unless you're planning on shooting forty-eleven zillion shells, try rolling your own.
Just match the VOLUME of 2-F black powder with the VOLUME of shot used. This eliminates most all one piece modern wads. If you don't have nitro card or over powder cups,then try cutting the cushioning section out of a one piece wad & set the shot cup right on top of the over powder cup. You don't realy need the cushion with black powder loads anyway. You WILL need the shortest base wad shell you can find to start with(largest internal volume shell to house all that black powders volume). Idealy you need a 1/4in. felt coushion wad just to scrub the bore..... black powder leaves crud BIG TIME.
Just remember to use the same VOLUME of powder as shot. It takes 81 gr. of B.P. to equal 1 1/8 oz.shot in volume to go 3 dr. or 1200 mv.
So, if you can't get everything stuffed in there with a good crimp, then just cut back or increase the shot AND powder by aqual volume. They will break birds every bit as good as modern loads, except you won't know it til the smoke clears ! Oh, remember to clean your gun (and yourself) with soap & water as soon as you're done shooting. You may already be rusty, but you ain't seen noth'in til you leave that smoke-pole uncleaned.

------------------
Ralph in In.

[This message has been edited by GreybeardB (edited August 19, 1999).]
Old August 20, 1999, 12:39 AM   #4
Kilroy

Heard that CorBon is making shotshells loaded with Pyrodex. For the cowboy shooting sports....
Old August 20, 1999, 04:27 PM   #5
Danger Dave

I'm not sure, but I think Dangerous Dave (no relation, I promise) The Old Western Scrounger sells some black powder 12 ga rounds. I've dealt with him on the phone, he's a nice guy and very knowledgeable - RCBS's customer service and Ballistic Products sent me to him when I had questions about reloading brass shotgun shells.

I don't have his website handy, but it's not hard to find - search for "Old Western Scrounger".

You also might want to try Ballard Cartridge Co. (don't have their site handy, either).

I know I've seen them somewhere, recently...

Good Luck!

Old August 25, 1999, 08:46 PM   #6

Thanks to each and all. I'll check with those supplier to see what is there.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$