The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2014, 08:30 PM   #1
JUSTinTYME

Leo duty weapon

Im attending police academy in January and need a double stack
45. im trying to decide between the glock 21 or 41 gen 4s. I get the blue label price now because I am in the army. I'd like to buy it while I have the money. I like the feel of the gen 4s much more than the gen 3s. Just wanted to hear what you guys like more and why. double stack 45s are the requirements for where id like to work.
Old September 4, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
RodTheWrench

21. The extra barrel length on the 41 isn't worth it, especially if you're going to be drawing from a holster where it is a liability.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Police academy requires cadets to purchase their own handguns?

If this academy is for a particular agency, pick whatever they issue. If it's a state-operated academy that feeds into multiple municipal departments, look at what's issued by the departments you would be interested in joining.
Old September 5, 2014, 12:17 AM   #4
mellow_c

If deciding between the Gen 4 21 and 41. I'd go for the 21.

I've looked into it a little myself and all the folks on the INTERNET have declared that the 21 is actually softer shooting than the 41. I believe that the slide is a bit heavier on the 21. Also like Rod said, the extra length of the 41 might slow your draw down a tad and also lead to other inconveniences related to the length, although it is a bit thinner.

I've shot a couple Gen 4 21's and dry fired a 3rd, I found them all to have excellent triggers for a Glock. Also I really like them with the medium back strap. I was actually able to control the gun BETTER with the medium back strap vs no back strap. Because of the back strap and the great trigger, I would chose a Gen 4 21 over any of the Gen 3's.

I wouldn't bother with the "coolness" of the 41, even though it is pretty cool for a serious duty gun I think the Gen 4 21 is hard to beat.
Old September 5, 2014, 01:43 AM   #5
bamaranger

G34, 35, & 41

My understanding is that the G41 is the .45 cal equal of the G34/35, dimensionally.

If that is so, our local state WCO's are issued the G35, no kidding. Standard trigger, but the rest is Gen 3, G35. Everyone likes how they shoot, but they despise the extra length. NOT for it slowing down presentations from holster. But in every day carry in a duty rig, in and out of 4WD, ATV, boat etc. To long, gouging into the seat, saddle, thigh etc. To get the barrel out of the truck seat, a high rise holster puts the grip higher on the waist than most of the guys would prefer. Their duty rig holsters but the gun in a vertical position, no rake.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:16 AM   #6
JUSTinTYME

No the academy doesn't require you to have your own firearms. The agencies around here require you to have your own unless your a full time officer which they haven't been hiring. They use a bunch of part timers to save money so they don't have to pay benefits or full time wages. Ill be strapped for cash after the academy and I probably won't be able to just go out and buy a new pistol.
Old September 5, 2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Fishing_Cabin

I would recommend trying to see what the requirements are for each department you may want to work for. Given the options you listed I would say the 21 is more popular and I would pick that if I were making the decision for myself.
Old September 5, 2014, 07:31 AM   #8
JUSTinTYME

That's what I did. The requirements are double stack 45 with at least 13 rounds. I wish they would let you use a 9mm because my beretta 92 is an extension of my body and I wouldn't have to worry about purchasing a new gun. I have jobs lined up because of friends in the department and my military background is giving me an edge. The departments around here dont issue you a sidearm until your full time. Most department's have 4 or 5 full timers and around 10 part timers. The part timers work more than the full timers.
Old September 5, 2014, 07:56 AM   #9
ScotchMan

Since you like the Beretta, maybe consider another hammer-fired TDA gun like the Sig P227 or FNX-45?

Otherwise I think the G21 Gen4 is where its at.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 5, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10
JUSTinTYME

I would consider those, especially the fn, if they weren't over twice what a glock would cost me.
Old September 5, 2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

First, my caveat: I've never even seen a 41 in person, much less fired one.

With that said, I'd go with the G21, were I in your shoes. The 41 may be a fine weapon, but it doesn't have the history that the 21 does. I'd be concerned that unforeseen problems or malfunctions could crop up and an, erm, "inopportune moment." Also, while I'm sure that many of the parts and accessories for the 21 may fit the 41, I don't know enough about them to know which ones will and which ones won't. I'm sure there's no shortage of parts and accessories for the 21, though.

My 2 cents, FWIW.
Old September 5, 2014, 08:35 AM   #12
JUSTinTYME

I appreciate everyone's opinion. Im leaning toward the 21 now. I handled the 41 and liked it a lot. I've never liked the feel.of glock until the gen 4 came out. My friend got the 19 and i picked it up and put every shot where I wanted it and it actually pointed naturally for me. Whatever they did it made a world of difference in my hand. I wish I could carry the 19 but once I shoot the 21 im sure ill like it to.
Old September 5, 2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I have a hunch that you're going to like it a lot. I've only had 2 occasions to shoot G21s, but I found them to be very comfortable & shooter-friendly. It's hard to argue with 13 rounds of .45 in such a soft shooter.
Old September 5, 2014, 02:06 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just to note that many PDs have restrictions on what guns and ammo officers, even part time or special officers, can carry. That is so if the officer has to use his weapon, it won't be something that can be attacked in a civil suit against the jurisdiction as being "out of the mainstream" for a police officer.

Jim
Old September 5, 2014, 02:35 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

If the Glock 21 fits your hand, it'll probably be OK. I felt I was gripping a 2"x4" when I shot a friend's duty gun, and just couldn't get it to feel "right" in my hand. I have a Glock 38 (.45 GAP) which I love, but it doesn't have the capacity you seek.

That "13 rounds" requirement kinds of limits your options. The SIG 227 might be worth the extra money, over the long haul. I've frequently regretted it when I've let cost limit my choices...
Old September 5, 2014, 03:35 PM   #16
Dirty_Harry

Glock 21. Easier to holster and for a duty weapon the extra barrel length isnt needed. I am sure the 21 is cheaper as well.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 5, 2014, 04:35 PM   #17
SPEMack618

If you go the route of the Glock 21, which I would recommend for the after market support, and pending department approval, look into an after market spring and trigger connector.

I dropped a Lone Wolf spring and trigger connector into my Gen-3 Glock 21 and it was a night and day difference in performance, to me at least. Also, the Glock factory night sights, extended slide release, and a Hogue slip on grip would be my further modification recommendations.

The good thing about all of the above, is that while they certainly enhance the performance of the gun, they do nothing to alter the gun's dimensions, allowing holster selection not to be interfered with.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:50 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Full disclosure: I don't like Glocks.

That said, I still think the choice should be related (if not completely determiend) by what the agencies you want to work for are using. If there's no consistency, look at what most of them carry. If you're in a standard patrol rig, you'll probably have one magazine in your pistol and two spares in a double mag carrier on the belt. While it's highly unlikely that you would ever shoot three high-capacity magazines of .45 ACP (or .45 GAP) to slidelock, if you've been in the military you know that Murphy's Law always applies.

Which means in a pinch it's good to be able to trade magazines with a fellow officer.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:56 PM   #19
AKhog

Don't know any departments that issue one, but you might look at the Springfield XD/XD(M) in 45ACP also they are also 13 round and well made.

I have been very happy with mine.