The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1
redhawkp90

.338 win mag?

I was just thinking on getting back into handloading, how ever I neverloaded a belted magnum.Innovative tech. claims that belted magnum cartriges swell around the belt after a few times used. they offer a collet die. Is this true with belted magnums and is the collet die they offer the answer?
Old September 10, 2005, 12:01 AM   #2
smedley

I started using a neck sizing die to keep from "working" the brass to much. I started this with my 7mag and use it on all my reloads now.
As far as the "incipient" case seperation (I think that is what it is called) as you work the brass with a full length die and it flows it gets thin down around the head and will start to show a bulge or what looks like one.
By using the neck sizing die you get pretty much away from that but, you can still work harden the necks too. A good anealling job will take care of that problem though.
I have been able to get 8 to 10 healthy loads out of my cases before they want to be tossed. Around this time I find either necks are starting to show signs of splits.

Smedley

Put em in at the bench and get rid of them down the barrel!!!
Old September 10, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3
redhawkp90

Thanks Smedley, I'll give that a try . I thought maybe neck size would be the trick. I plan on buying a Lee aniversery kit, I feel it is a good way to back into handloading, thanks again