The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
tpcollins

Is this case OK to load and shoot?

In my 100pc bag of Winchester .223 brass, I have this one with a dent that's entirely beneath the shoulder. I assume I can load this at the lower end of the powder range and it will "fill" upon being shot? Thanks.

Quote:
Old August 4, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
oldpapps

I would and use it as a fouling shot. The brass will iron out and work well there after. In the long run, that dent could be a point of failure.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old August 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3
moxie

I would trash that one. The angle at the upper end of the gouge is a little too severe and could fail when it irons out.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I would scrap it. Small dents are not an issue but when they are near any major diameter or angle change in the case like that one I won’t use it.
Also how did a dent like that get on the case? From the photos it looks more like a sizing issue like over oiling since its making a shallow line down the length of the photo. Just how expensive is a 223 case VS the gun you’re shooting?
Better safe than less one eye.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
tpcollins

I'll trash it, thanks.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Vance

That is the safe thing to do. If a round failure can cause significant damage to your gun, it can also cause damage to you. Not worth trying to salvage that case.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:20 PM   #7
jcwit

I'd load it and shoot it, it will fireform out and be just fine, done it a few hundred times.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't have any qualms about using that case. It may fail prematurely in that area but it's not going to blow up your gun. I had a factory Hornady .204 round that had a dent like that fresh from the box. After firing, couldn't even tell for sure where the dent had been.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9
dacaur

my rule of thumb is, If there is a crease corner, trash it. If not, and you have ANY doubts about it, trash it. Basically, if I spend ANY time wondering "hmmm... should I trash this one?" I trash it..... Its just not worth the risk for a $0.20 case..... or even a $2.00 case..... My gun cost many times that, and it will cost any times what my gun cost to fix ME......
Old August 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10
snuffy

In that area of the case, it would not cause damage to your rifle. The case creates a seal BEHIND that area, so it would simply put a minor burn on the chamber wall IF it were to rupture. That dent will iron out with the pressure of a normal load, you'd have a hard time pointing it out afterward.

If there were a bad crease/scratch in the brass, deep enough to penetrate half way through,THEN it would be unsafe, but still no "blown up gun".

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 4, 2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Agreed. A dent in the shoulder isn't going to cause any sort of problems.

The shell behind it keeps the magic wind from escaping into the chamber and wreaking havoc.

If that dent were near the case head?

No way no how would I shoot it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:10 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Load it.
Shoot it.
Mix it in with your other brass.
Try to find it again.

The edges of the dent are all still rounded. It'll iron-out and be just fine.

If you want to see for yourself, mark that case and track it through several reloads.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Edward429451

If that dent were in the shoulder I would trash it. My general rule is when in doubt, pitch it out. That case is a good candidate for saving though. Go green, and save that case!

That's a nice thought. Us reloaders are very green and get no credit for it. That's most of what we do is recycle.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:08 AM   #14
farmerboy

Shoot it, reload it and shoot it and re..... You get the picture
Old August 5, 2012, 12:43 AM   #15
sgn100391

I'd trim it for use in a tokarev or maybe a 300 blackout.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:14 AM   #16
warningshot

Just Shoot-It.
Old August 7, 2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Uncle Buck

I am with those who say shoot it.

As far as a case rupture ruining your gun, I do not know. I have reloaded for a few years and have had a few case ruptures. I find them at the reloading bench, not at the range.

Maybe if you loaded it past the maximum recommended load, but other wise, the gun will hold the pressure.

You could also send it back to the manufacturer. I did that with a piece of .222 brass that was missing a large part of the neck. Company sent me an apology letter and 5 pieces of brass to replace the damaged one.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

I agree it's a non-issue for shooting. That's an area the annealing likely includes and you're asking it to stretch less than a lot of wildcat load reforming introduces. Just should not be a problem.

On the other hand, if it's worth 5 pieces of exchange brass, then go for that. I've still got a couple of old .223 cases around that arrived without primer vents (flash holes). Maybe I should send them in. . .
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In my 100pc bag of Winchester .223 brass, I have this one with a dent that's entirely beneath the shoulder. I assume I can load this at the lower end of the powder range and it will "fill" upon being shot? Thanks.
Was that once-fired brass?

That looks like the result of a failure-to-feed, where the rifle's bolt rode down the case until it encountered too much resistance at the shoulder.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:53 PM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

I reform two calibers by necking down brass the brass I reform looks way worse than the OP pic. I shoot mine all of the time. I have never had a case wear out where the lube dents were. The primer pockets loosen up before that happens.

If you are not going to shoot it. Mail it to me. I will shoot it, and post the pic of the fired brass. If you wish after that I will mail it back postage due.
Old August 7, 2012, 05:38 PM   #21
Woody55

Well, most reloading folks are kind of obsessive compulsive. Including me. I've wasted a half hour finding that last case in the grass.

In this case, it's 25 cents or so. And if it fails it probably won't blow up your rifle or blow off a finger or blind you. But if it did, we're talking about quite a bit more than 25 cents.

I'd ask myself if it's worth it. Or was I just protecting that case.

And if you decide it is worth it, I'd hold the rifle in one hand and have the rest of me behind a tree when I shot it. Recover the case and learn something about the situation.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:06 PM   #22
jcwit

All I can add to this discussion is a person is in MUCH more danger driving to and from the range than reloading and shooting this case.