The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2010, 10:00 PM   #51
reloader28

Guys, I wasnt really trying to condemn any kind of hunting, even tho it sounds like it. I tried explaining it at the bottom of my other post.
I was mearly trying to point out that people are always condemning long range hunting and the ball could easily roll the other way.
I mentioned that different areas in the country require different styles of hunting. My way might not be yours and your way might not be mine.
I know it wasnt clear on what I was getting at cause I'm not good with words and I was fired up.

The bottom line is, I dont care what gizmos and toys you have. I have some myself. Any kind of hunting can be called unethical by someone.

The only unethical hunting in my sincere, personal opinion is the guys that are shooting big game animals and cutting the heads off and leaving the rest. You better hope I never catch you doing that.

Golfballs,
I have a wife and 3 daughters myself that hunt and I would get them any gizmo I can to make their hunt more enjoyable. I dont want it to be too easy for them cause that dont make it more enjoyable, but there are little things that help them out. Best of luck to you both this turkey season.

If anyone thinks I was condemning some kinda hunting, then you misunderstood me and I hope this helps explain it a little better.
Old March 21, 2010, 10:23 PM   #52
Catfishman

Quote:
Wayne is not know for exageration, & swears the shot was over 1840 yards
I couldn't scare a goat at that range.

I have never considered paying to hunt, but I'd pay to hunt with these guys.
Old March 22, 2010, 06:45 PM   #53
semi_problomatic

well, the cheytac .408 is MUCH better than the .50BMG out past 500 yards. It currently holds the world record for longest something or another shot. Pretty much a marine sniper put 5 rounds in a 16 inch circle at 2,000 plus meters. Just laying on the side of a hill with a bipod. Not bench shot or anything else.

Aside from that IF you got the know-how, proper weapon and sights, and god's natural gifted ability to reliably hit targets out past 1000 yards, join a rifle team and compete. But I can't see how its ethical to gut shoot ANY animal, even once. And to take that chance is unethical. 'specially since you've got that extra couple of grand to drop on a rifle, sights, ballistic calculator etc, you ain't going hungry. But thats just my opinion, and opinions are like butt-holes, everybody has one and nobody wants to hear mine.

Oh yeah, I ain't trying to ruffle your feathers, if you don't like this post then ignore it. Its just an opinion and I'm not in any posistion to be passing any laws.