The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2009, 09:37 AM   #26
clang

Quote:
Mostly true - back then those stocks with huge drop were better for pass shooting at high flyers........

That Remington sounds like a neat gun to shoot a round or two of skeet with......most likely with 2-1/2" loads
The Remington is factory choked Cyl and modified. I don't think the original intent was for high flyers. I still shoot it a good amount and take it hunting at least once a season. I've got a couple of 12ga Rem 1894s that also get shot occasionally.
Old October 3, 2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Re that 1900 Remington.....

Look at pics of the shooters back then. They had a heads up style that needed more drop than we do now.

The nigh universal splinter forend gets the POI back where it belongs with heads up form even with the half curved grip common then.

I need more drop than most, and some of those stocks work for me IF they're long enough. Many are not.
Old October 6, 2009, 06:55 PM   #28
gak

I posted this on someone else's 16 ga thread today:

Interesting article off of Chuck Hawk's site addressign some of the questions/points made here. http://www.chuckhawks.com/16_gauge_wakeman.htm
Old October 9, 2009, 08:10 AM   #29
SeekHer

Lots of the European makers chamber in 16 bore but whether they meet your price point is something else...

I, like you, love the 16 and have switched all my hunting over to it--except pass shooting geese...and have switched most of my 20 bore hunting over to the lovely 28 bore...

Clays are still 12 and 20 bore...

You probably know of the 16 GA. Society

Jim, you remember when all gauge skeet included the 16?

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living