The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2013, 06:06 AM   #1
ZVP

bullet weights vs logitivity?

Two questions;
1) is it preferrable to shoot my Model 36 Chief with a steady diet of 158gr , 3.5 gr Bullseye handloads or a diet of 130 (ish) Factory loads such as Fiocchi's130gr fmj?
I understand that the Model 36 was designed around the 158 gr Factory load and even the sights are regulated towards it. I am guessing that since this is the design feature, that this handload is safe for the revolver for extended use?
2) is it safe to fire the 125 gr +P load (for self defense only) in a HB Model 10 M&P?
Again, I do NOT want to harm the revolver!
The Model 10 is a "K" framed gun and hopefully a strong steel frame. It's usual load is either a factory 158 gr RN or the aforementioned 158 gr SWC handload of 3.5 gr Bullseye.
Thanks,
ZVP
Old August 26, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Accepted Wisdom is that lead bullets are easier on a barrel than jacketed.
That load of 3.5 Grains of Bullseye seems a little hot to me. I would try Unique instead.
IIRC S&W has said all their post-1957 steel frame revolvers can handle +P. I have had little experience with it, see no real advantages, a hit with standard velocity ammo probably hurts just as bad, is easier on the gun-and the shooter.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
ZVP

+P ammo

I bought a box of +P Magtech Guardians to try in my Ruger vaquero in order to evaluate the difference between standard .38 Special ammo and the +P ammo.
In the heavilly built Vaquero the +P recoils considerabilly MORE than standard /38 Specials! about 40% of the recoil of a .357 Magnum in the same gun.
I wanted to try it first in the ruger before submitting my Model36 and 10 to the punishment.
I seriouslly doubt the wisdom in using +P ammo in either gun and as you said it hurts just as much! I won't be using that ammo in my guns.
Just as a sidenote, the Jacketed Guardian 125 gr bullets shot wide from the Ruger @ 25 yards. The power of the recoil was impressive as are the FPE figures and I think the +P would make a good self defense and heavy trail load for the Vaquero. I plan to also try Remingtons Golden Saber amo in the Vaquero in hopes that groups would be tighter than the Magtech ammo. The Golden Saber has a sharp edge on the hollowpoint edge I almost cut a finger while inspecting the bullets! Pretty impressive! However I gforgot to bring the Golden Saber ammo to test when I went to the range...(Murphy's Law)
Thanks for the advice!
ZVP