The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2011, 01:02 PM   #1
fishhead1

SAKO .243 Fails to Eject

O K. Here's my sad tale of woe. Have a nicely maintained SAKO Forester L579 (SN 47XXX) that I inherited from my father awhile back. As I recall, he purchased the rifle, new, in mid-late 1960's. My best guess is that it has had a relatively small number of rounds fired through it even considering it's age (a few rounds to sight in occasionally for deer season etc.
Anyway, since acquiring the rifle, I have taken it to the range a couple of times (the most recent trip just last week), and fired a box of ammo through it on each occasion. After each trip to the range, the gun gets a thorough cleaning and oiling. It has always functioned flawlessly. So just the other day, I was running a few resized cases through the action to ensure they chambered properly. I immediately noticed that cases were not being ejected properly, if at all. Also, I noticed that if I withdrew the bolt (at what I would call "normal" speed), it can be completely withdrawn, empty shell and all, out of the receiver without having to actuate the Bolt Stop. I inspected the Bolt Stop as closely as I could (with the bolt removed) and found it appears to to be functioning smoothly, and does not appear to be excessively worn, broken, bent etc. In other words, everything appears to be "normal".
My best guess at this point is that the Bolt Stop spring may be the culprit, although the Bolt Stop appears to be functioning smoothly. However, I'm definitely not a gunsmith, and this is only a guess.
So, question. Before I take it to a gunsmith (assuming I can still find one in the immediate area), can anyone see anything I have obviously overlooked here that would explain this? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by fishhead1; November 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:31 PM   #2
trex1310

Quote:
I'm definitely not a gunsmith
That pretty much points you in the right direction.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg