The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2009, 01:54 AM   #1
PitBull

Problem with cases sticking in chamber of Glock 17.

I've had a re-occurring problem of cases sticking in the chamber of my Glock 17.
This happens about every 25 to 50 rounds. They are really stuck in there hard.
When it happens I close the slide back so that the extractor re-engages the rim and then press the front corner of the slide against a piece of wood and the case will extract if I really push hard.
The last time today that it happened it was so bad that the extractor itself couldn't maintain a good purchase on the rim and kept jumping over it.
I had to knock the case out at home through the bore with a rod and hammer.
Although the integrity of the extractor may have been compromised by the last occurrence today, I can't tell by looking at it, even with a magnifying glass. With that in mind the plan is to replace the extractor anyway but I'm 100% sure that alone won't fix the problem.
I don't see how the extractor could have been a contributing factor since I was successfully using it to pop the stuck cases out with the slide as mentioned above.

The reloads are copper plated 124 grain TMJ bullets, mixed brass, and Titegroup powder. The cases are cleaned before loading and the last stage on my press is a Lee crimp die. The finished rounds are randomly but frequently checked with a case gauge for dimensional tolerances.
The loads are loaded to nominal 9mm pressures.
The pistol is cleaned after each range session.
I can't see anything unusual in the cases other than some slight rim deformation do to having to force the slide back the hard way.
The same rounds work fine in my SIG P228 every time.
I've never had any other reloads do this in other calibers (.45 ACP, 10mm) either.
The Glock I'm having this issue with never does anything like this with factory ammo of any kind.

Has anyone else aver had this problem?
Old February 21, 2009, 03:09 AM   #2
Tommy Vercetti

Quote:
The reloads
there's your problem
Old February 21, 2009, 05:46 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Tommy Vercetti Quote:
The reloads

there's your problem
Acomes Razor: The simplest solution tends to be the correct one.

Are you using case lube? If so try tumbling the rounds for 10 minutes or so after you load them. I had a similar problem with my M&P and that cured it.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
BillM

Could be a few things:

Lube on the cases.
Mixed brass? Could be a case with smaller capacity spiking
the pressure. What does the primer look like on the stuck
case?
Bullet setback. Case variations, light crimp can cause bullet
setback. Raises pressure a bunch.
Too long a OAL. You do not want the bullet touching the
rifling on a pistol. Again--high pressure. Probably not
the case with a Glock, they are limited by the magazine
to 1.150-1.160.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5
PitBull

Thanks for your replies.
Lube on cases: I don't use case lube for handgun rounds and all of the cases are cleaned in the tumbler at some time before reloading.
Pressure spikes: Doesn't seem like it; on these idividual rounds that I've had stick I didn't notice stiffer recoil or report. Everything seems nominal until the stoppage occurs. Also the primer on that one I had to knock out with a rod and hammer, the WORSE one, has a normal looking fired primer. Pressure spikes caused by bullet setback are possible but I'm stil not noticing signs of excess pressure.
C.O.A.L:The rounds are randomly but frequently measured with capipers for O.A.L. during the loading process. It's theoretically possible one might slip through but with a progressive press, short stroking it would cause issues at the other startions, too.

I'm not trying to claim perfection but when I'm reloading I tend to stop and check things a lot as I go (primer depth, powder weight, C.O.A.L. , and final dimensions. The only constant variable is the fact that I use mixed cases which is a economy of time thing.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, in a way, but I've shot a lot more of these loads in the P228 and have never had any kind of issue.

I'm not using this as a route to ditching the Glock for another SIG, either. If I did that I wouldn't be able to wear my beloved Glock sweatshirt any more .
Just kidding.

Anyhow, it just seems strange to have cases stick so hard like that in the chamber.

I had contemplated posting this in the auto pistol forum but it seems too reload related since this problem only occurs with reloads.

Thanks again.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:54 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
I'm not using this as a route to ditching the Glock for another SIG
I would!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 22, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Sevens

Just for info's sake...
What's the load, specifically? Plated TMJ, so these are plated RN, like Berry's, Ranier, something of that nature? And Titegroup... how much? I'm running 4.2 with Berry's 124 gr PL-RNand data has shown me that 4.4 is max. (well, it's one max from one source... different sources give different maxes...!)

Can you take a loaded round and push the SOB up against a hard surface, with good hand force, and not set the bullet back in the case?

Titegroup has gained a reputation as a powder that shoots up the pressure quickly -- not a really forgiving powder... and also, a very dense powder that often leaves physical space in the case for an unnoticed over charge.

All the evidence so far is pointing more toward a high pressure round rather than something specific to the Glock. Depending on how many of these you've actually loaded and shot, it could simply be luck that you've never seen it (or perhaps never just noticed it) in the Sig.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Walther22lr

Since you mention the reloads work perfectly in another of your guns, how is the chamber in the Glock? Any abnormalities that you can see inside the chamber?
Old February 22, 2009, 08:02 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

fix

First ensure your crimp is not excessive, bulging out the case.

Measure actual bullet diameter to the nearest .0001", using a micrometer.

Finish your process using the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.

Gauge all finished ammo, using your smallest-dimensioned 'gauge' (which sounds like your Glock barrel's chamber; remove from gun, clean thoroughly, and insert each rd into the chamber to ensure it fits).

Ensure the chamber is free from imperfections, and clean.

Maintain an OAL of 1.125--1.140".
Old February 22, 2009, 03:00 PM   #10
PitBull

Sevens wrote;
Quote:
Just for info's sake...
What's the load, specifically? Plated TMJ, so these are plated RN, like Berry's, Ranier, something of that nature? And Titegroup... how much? I'm running 4.2 with Berry's 124 gr PL-RN and data has shown me that 4.4 is max. (well, it's one max from one source... different sources give different maxes...!)
Plated, I bought 1000 of them last year and loaded them up in two batches of 500. They were 124 gr TMJ’s made by Xtreme. All 1000 of them were loaded with 4.2 grains of Titegroup. This is just blasting ammo so power doesn't need to be at the high end.
The first batch of 500 was loaded with Federal #100 primers and the second batch with Russian primers that come in a green & white box. Not sure of the brand name because the label is confusing. I’ve used the large primer version of those for a lot of .45 ACP loads with no issues except the occasional misfire. They’re cheap.

Quote:
Can you take a loaded round and push the SOB up against a hard surface, with good hand force, and not set the bullet back in the case?
Now that you mention it I did have one that somehow was set back well into the case about a month ago. These were Zero brand 115 gr JHP’s that I’d just loaded up that week. I don’t know (or remember) how it got that way but I tossed it. After that I was loading up some more of the same and tried to press the bullet back into the cases by hand after they came off the press. After a few hundred rounds nothing happened and didn’t think much about it after a while.

Quote:
Titegroup has gained a reputation as a powder that shoots up the pressure quickly -- not a really forgiving powder... and also, a very dense powder that often leaves physical space in the case for an unnoticed over charge.
I had noticed that it doesn’t take up much space in the case, not so much with the 9mm but it seem to leave a lot of room in a .45 ACP case. I know that’s dangerous with some powders like H110 and W-W 296 but thought it was typical and therefore generally safe with Titegroup. Maybe not?

Up until last year I usually always used W-W 231 for non-magnum handgun rounds. Last year some others turned me on to Titegroup since it does more with less powder. Since then I’ve loaded up 1800 9mm’s and 1600 .45 ACP’s.
In fact, since I just started loading 9mm last year when I got my progressive, Titegroup has been the only powder I’ve used for it.
The only time I’ve seen flattened primers with this powder has been with 230 gr .45 FMJ ball loaded to the high. For those I switched to Accurate #5 and haven’t had any issues so far.
Back to 9mm, I loaded up 50 for testing using 4.8 grains of Titegroup (max loads) and 115 gr Zero JHP’s. Shot them in the SIG and noticed no signs of them being to hot including primer condition.
I had planned on loading up about 1000 or more of those not for practice but for the “just in case” kind of thing.

Quote:
All the evidence so far is pointing more toward a high pressure round rather than something specific to the Glock. Depending on how many of these you've actually loaded and shot, it could simply be luck that you've never seen it (or perhaps never just noticed it) in the Sig.
The Glock hasn’t gotten nearly as much use as the SIG lately. I may have used these rounds in other guns, too, but don’t remember which. I didn’t have any problems or I would have remembered with which pistol. The SIG has seen over 1000 rds of ammo loaded with Titegroup loads and various bullets with no issues or flat primers for those that I’ve looked at. If I'd had one stick in the chamber like that I would have at least remembered all the cussing.

Walther22lr wrote;
Quote:
Since you mention the reloads work perfectly in another of your guns, how is the chamber in the Glock? Any abnormalities that you can see inside the chamber?
I can’t see any abnormalities of the chamber. That’s one of the first things I looked at, too see if there was a bur or indentation at the mouth of the chamber or anything else that would cause binding inside.

WESHOOT2 wrote;
Quote:
First ensure your crimp is not excessive, bulging out the case.

Measure actual bullet diameter to the nearest .0001", using a micrometer.
I don’t have a micrometer, just a dial caliper. I intend to get a micrometer one of these days but just haven’t yet.

Quote:
Finish your process using the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
I do that already.

Quote:
Gauge all finished ammo, using your smallest-dimensioned 'gauge' (which sounds like your Glock barrel's chamber; remove from gun, clean thoroughly, and insert each rd into the chamber to ensure it fits).
I randomly but frequently use an L.E. Wilson case gage for the finished rounds in each batch. Probably a lot more frequently than most do when running a progressive press. I figure at least once every 25 rounds if not more.
I thought that if it fit the case gage it would fit any chamber.

Quote:
Ensure the chamber is free from imperfections, and clean.
Done.

Quote:
Maintain an OAL of 1.125--1.140".
Depends on the load; for the 124 gr TMJ loads I’ve been seating to an OAL of 1.040. Due to the shape of those bullets if I seated them any longer I’d be running the risk of having the bullet touch the rifling. I try and maintain a good happy medium with those and not go too far in either direction. They are measured randomly but frequently with calipers for OAL As they come off of the press.

To all,
After reading and contemplating your input I’m going to try this with your suggestions in mind;
I’ll pull out 50-100 rounds that I already have loaded up and each one will be checked with the case gage, the calipers for OAL, and each will be tried in the chamber of the Glock in question to make sure it seats fully. I’ll take the barrel out to do that. I'll also press each one against a hard surface to test for crimp strength.
I'll shoot all of the ones I check and If I find any that don’t pass the checks I’m going to mark them and shoot them anyway to try and duplicate the error and isolate it.
However, right now I’m out of the Xtreme 124 gr TMJ bullets that I was using when the problem occurred.
All I have is the ones loaded up with Zero brand 115 gr JHP’s that I never got to try Friday in the Glock because it was bound up.

Wew! That was a lot of typing.

Thanks for all of your input and advice.
PB

Last edited by PitBull; February 22, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old February 22, 2009, 04:58 PM   #11
BillM

Plated bullets, and Xtreme in particular, sometimes are a real pain to get
shooting well. Tumbling and accuracy issues seem to be common. I
used to shoot a lot of them but not any more.

In my 9mm Glocks all I shoot is Precision Delta 124 gr FMJ's. Not
as cheap as cast lead, but cheaper than some plated. Current price is $72/1000 delivered.

For my 40 S&W and 45 ACP loads I use Bear Creek moly coated lead.

I do use Berry's 185 gr HBRN plated bullets in my S&W 625 45 ACP
revolver.
Old February 23, 2009, 10:18 PM   #12
PitBull

I bought the Xtreme because that's what the store had in stock at the time. I don't know if they carry them any more or not because I've been buying regular jacketed bullets made by Zero as of late.
I'd probably do just as well or better to just order bullets.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:18 AM   #13
PitBull

I shot the G17 today except first I gauged each round, 50 just for the purpose of testing, and some of them didn't go all the way into the case gage or the chamber of the removed barrel. I ran them though the Lee crimp die until they did and none of them hung up in the chamber when i shot them.

After thinking about it I think it could be either the crimp die not being set right or it could also be the resizing die. I'm using mixed cases so some might need a little more resizing or more crimp to compensate for case thickness or hardness.
I could sort cases but that's more time consuing than it's worth if I can find an effective way to wrok around it.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:24 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

Resetting the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die fixed it?

Fixed.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:33 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

I use 'medium-rate' powder choices in 9x19 (Power Pistol / HS6 / WAP / 3N37 range); I do not use Titegroup for any cartridge.

I sort my 9x19 cases, but only because of enhanced accuracy.
I still occasionally load from a container marked "Mixed".
But those loads aren't as accurate....

The resizing die should just barely touch the shell holder.

I gauge every rd I make (regardless of chambering; every cartridge I make goes in a gauge. All, without exception). In one 9x19 gun its custom barrel's chamber is so tight it demands being used to gauge its ammo.
I have a similar 40 S&W barrel that demands being the gauge, too.
NBD, ay?
Old March 3, 2009, 04:22 PM   #16
PitBull

WESHOOT2 wrote;
Quote:
I use 'medium-rate' powder choices in 9x19 (Power Pistol / HS6 / WAP / 3N37 range); I do not use Titegroup for any cartridge.
You don't like Titegroup or just haven't tried it yet?

I only sort brass for rifle or longer range handgun rounds like .41 and .44 magnum. By using mixed cases I'm losing some accuracy, I know, but for the type of shooting I do the results I'm getting are good enough out to 15 or even 25 yards.

The more I think about it the more I think it could be that the resizing die isn't deep enough for all of the different When I set the press up (Hornady Lock-n-load progressive) I probalby ran a few case through it and they gauged okay so I left it at that and pressed on.
I just started loading for 9mm last year when I got the progressive.
I would have thought that the Glock would eat anything the SIG-Sauer would but now it appears the Glock does have a tighter chamber.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:57 PM   #17
oneounceload

I shoot a G17, use mixed brass multiple times, shooting Xtreme, (at least when they were called Western NV), Berry's, etc. in various loading and have never had this issue. I also don't own a Lee final crimp sizer. Is it the brass.....or maybe a chamber size issue? Accuracy and function have always been excellent