The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Which .22 conversion kit do you recommend for the Sig 516?
CMMG India Kit 5 38.46%
Stag Arms Kit 1 7.69%
A different .22 conversion kit 3 23.08%
Don't bother with conversion kit. 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 24, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
firemediceric

.22 conversion recommendation for AR

I have a Sig 516 for which I'd like to get a .22 conversion kit for.

With .223 ammo now being tough to find, and I'm sure soon to become more expensive, I'd like to train with the lower cost .22LR ammo while using the same optics that I use with the .223 so I'm practicing with everything set up just as I would use it with the .223 ammo.

In correspondence with CMMG they tell me this kit is the best .22 kit for what I want with the AR: http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba68d.htm

However, Stag Arms says their kit will work well with my gun and it's $100 less. http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=380

I've read mixed reviews on CMMG, but they have several kits and have a lot of feedback. For the Stag Arms kit I read only great reviews, but there are not nearly as many reviews to go on. I think I only found two for Stag Arms.

Which do you think I should go with? Any first hand experience? I don't want to pay more than necessary or for extra pieces that are not needed.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
shootniron

I have the standard CMMG conversion and it has been great.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3
rightside

No matter which conversion kit you go with, your still shooting a .221 bullet out of a .223 barrel. Accuracy is going to suffer, regardless.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Dedicated upper.

I had a Kuehl Arms upper but gave it to my uncle. It worked and I've no complaints about it. It was replaced with another dedicated upper that had a lower marked caliber "22 Long Rifle."
Old December 25, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
dbldune

22 kit

I bought a Stag model 8 and their conversion kit. The kit is made by CMMG. The kit works well except the little plastic piece prevented the ammo from loading. You can fire without it. Work like a charm. When you clean the rifle you'll notice small chips of lead so clean it well.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Jo6pak

Go with a complete dedicated upper. Then you will have the correct diameter and rifling pitch to get the best accuracy out of the rimfire cartridge
Old December 25, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
firemediceric

In reply to some of your suggestions...

I'm not going to go the dedicated upper route due in part to the cost, but more because I want to train with the optics and so on that are on my .223 upper. I want, as much as possible, to practice with the set up as close as possible to that of how I shoot with the .223 ammo. I realize there will be some accuracy issues using the EOTech I have sighted in for .223 with the .22LR rounds, but if the targeting is not vastly off, at least I'll be in the habit of using my regular set up and not having to sight the gun in a new each time I change between calibers.

It is interesting to read that the Stag Arms kit is made by CMMG. It is vastly less expensive, yet still stainless steel. Nice to get the feedback that it worked well, but can you elaborate on "the little plastic piece prevented the ammo from loading"? I'm not seeing what you may be referring to when looking at a picture of the kit. Was is simply removed and then you used the kit without that piece?

Shootniron, the CMMG kit that you have that has worked so well for you, is it stainless or blued?

So far, I'm leaning toward the Stag Arms kit but please keep the feedback, suggestions and recommendations coming.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Xfire68

I love my CMMG conversion. I picked mine up used for $130 with a extra 25rd mag. Accuracy is not same hole but, it's pretty good at 50+ yards. I have had zero feed or ejection issues with it.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
Shootniron, the CMMG kit that you have that has worked so well for you, is it stainless or blued?
Mine is blued, I run it wet...

I bought it used from a guy that was at the range one Sat afternoon, he had 2 and told me he would let one go for $80...I told him "sold" and have been well pleased. I had actually decided to buy the M&P until I tried this conversion...after using it, I could not justify the expense of an upper or dedicated rifle.YMMV

Last edited by shootniron; December 25, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:15 PM   #10
firemediceric

I pulled the trigger on the one from Stag Arms. In part because of it reportedly being made by CMMG. I'm guessing it 's the same unit as the CMMG Bravo which is the same money. CMMG didn't have any of the 25 round magazines where as Stag Arms did, so I went with them. I do feel that the shipping rates Stag Arms charges is excessive, but so it goes.

Thank you all for your input and help in making my decision.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:30 PM   #11
dbldune

FAA (small plastic piece for 22cal conversion kit)

I emailed both Stag arms and CMMG. Stag factory if closed but listed below is the reply from CMMG. I'll also attempt to attach a photo.

That is common with the FAA. Because it is not able to be locked into place it moves. To be honest the FAA is not necessary.

Thank You and God Bless
Josh Humphrey
Tech Support/Customer Service

WWW.CMMGINC.COM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_1788 copy.jpg (235.2 KB, 54 views)
Old December 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #12
firemediceric

What does "FAA" in this context stand for?
Old December 27, 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Xfire68

Quote:
CMMG didn't have any of the 25 round magazines where as Stag Arms did, so I went with them
Do you mean they did not have any in stock or do you mean they don't make 25rd mags? Just curious? If it was they did not have then in stock that because of the ban crazy people buying them all up!

My CMMG conversion came with 2 25rd mags.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:57 PM   #14
firemediceric

When navigating the CMMG web site and trying to purchase 25 rnd mags, only a blank page appeared. Whether they were out of them or having web site issues, I don't know for sure. On the Stag Arms site I was able to add them to the cart and pay for them without issue. I received a follow up e-mail that my order was successfully processed. Hopefully I don't get an e-mail in a few days that they're not available.

On a related note regarding supply and demand, in an effort to add to the stock of hi-cap mags I already have, I placed an order on The Sportsman's Guide for hi-cap AR and AK mags. They say they should ship on 1/8/13. We'll see...

I also reserved an AK on Bud's Guns. They tell me I'm in line to get it for the price quoted as soon as they have it in back in stock. Once again, we'll see... No matter how I search, I now cannot find the particular AK on the Bud's site, but when I log in they show my order as active. I'll believe it when I have it in my hands.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:59 PM   #15
dbldune

FAA

The FAA means the small piece of black plastic. As it was explained to me it is supposed to assist in loading the round in the chamber if it fails to load.

A gun smith told me that that is the wost thing to do if you cartridge doesn't load.

I just drop the mag and shake the round out.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Ridge_Runner_5

Pretty much all the .22 conversions are based off the Ciener design. CMMG has taken it to the max evolutionary stage, IMO.

The forward assist attachment is pretty worthless. But I would recommend the solid charging handle and the BHO (bolt hold open), which locks the bolt back at the end of the mag and keeps it back after you drop it for a reload.