The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2009, 05:14 PM   #26
CSHammond

Reloading cost for .45 acp? is it worth it?

Is it worth reloading .45 acp? I am beginning to think not.

Lets say I buy brass for .07 cents locally, primers for .03 cents, powder for .05 cents, FMJ bullets for .12 cents. All these prices are if I buy for 1000 rounds. That comes to .27 cents per round. Now I am not factoring in my time since I like to reload, but that time could be spent shooting instead of reloading, so it should count for something. These all seem like pretty good prices to me until I priced some factory ammo. The 45 ACP Aguila 230gr. FMJ brand for 324.95 comes to .32 and a half cents per round, thats without shipping. So the difference is .05 cents and that just isn't enough savings for me to want to reload .45, especially if I buy factory ammo, pick up my brass and resell it for .07 cents per 1000, I am .02 cents ahead of the game.

This is just for the .45, I have not figured it for any of my other calibers yet, but I am not hopeful of what I may find.

Just my .02 cents.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:02 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Now I need to figure out where, and what reloading equipment to buy now. You guy have any suggestions/referrals beside the 2 mentioned above. I will be reloading for Rem 870 shotgun sabot barrel, 410, .22 Winchester mag, and looking to pickup a pistol soon probally .40S&W.
.22 WMR is not a reloadable cartridge. You'll still be stuck paying for factory ammo for it.

Shotgun reloading is a different beast than cartridge reloading. You'll want to get some quotes on savings (based upon how much you shoot) before taking the plunge into shotshell reloading.