The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2002, 11:01 AM   #1
Skofnung

Aluminum Finish

Hey fellas, I have another question. I am reworking an old Ruger 10/22 that has seen better days, but still shoots like a charm. It has an old walnut stock that I have reshaped and rubbed about 20 coats of linseed oil into. The barrel has lost most of it's finish, and I am going to either hot blue it, or brown it like an old muzzleloading barrel, probably the latter.

So in all, I have everything under control, except the reciever/triggerguard assembly and the butt plate. Both, as you all know, are made of aluminum. Both parts are pretty dinged up.

What can I use to re-finish these parts? I don't want to send the parts off, but I will if there is no other option. Do any of you have any experience with something like this?

Thanks
Old August 13, 2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Romulus

If it's dinged and want to remove the dings, i'd say lightly stone/sand/buff out the imperfections and have hard-anodized (re-anodized). If you can live with the dings, re-coat with Alumahyde or some such coating

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old August 13, 2002, 03:36 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You could always have the whole gun telfon coated, either by sending it away to someone like Birdsong or Robar, or you could do it yourself with Brownell's spray stuff.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:17 PM   #4
kurt IA.

The best way I.ve found is to use sandpapper for small spots, and draw file were you can, after the dings are gone, use finner, and finner papper till it sutes you. You won't get the shine on AL that can be had on SS, or crome moly.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:57 PM   #5
Romulus

You'll also be removing the hard anodization, which provides surface hardness to the aluminum alloy, ending up with a "softer" receiver...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano