The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Nathan

Is 30 Carbine the Round of the Future?

Seems like a great round for a new short mag sbr. I'm thinks a 3/4 scale AR like the KAC PDW, but in 30 Carbine instead of 6x35. Thoughts? It is better because 30 has many lightweight pointed bullets ready to go. Suppressed would just be 180's or something....
Old January 4, 2016, 08:06 PM   #2
MarkCO

There are a few out there. One company has made a good run at them in an AR copy, but they are not going over well. The 300BO has too much "new flash" marketing.

http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/xseriesrifle.html

The competition with 9mm PCCs using pistol mags and 300 BO using AR mags kind of leaves the .30 Carbine out of a mass appeal position. But there are a good number of people who see the benefit of the round.
Old January 5, 2016, 12:16 AM   #3
armoredman

interesting idea, but I doubt there's much the 30 Carbine could do that more modern rounds couldn't do quite well in an SBR. The Enforcer would have been the SBR style of 30 carbine back in the day. I think there was an improved version at one time that might have worked well in an SBR or pistol caliber carbine.
Old January 5, 2016, 04:45 AM   #4
Scorch

Round of the future? Heck, it isn't even the round of the past 20 years. What a waste of powder and bullet materials. It was popular 40-50 years ago because of cheap ammo and cheap rifles, but it was worthless even then. Seems everybody had one stashed in the back of the closet that they never shot. No, not the round of the future, IMO.
Old January 5, 2016, 07:46 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Round of the future? Heck, it isn't even the round of the past 20 years. What a waste of powder and bullet materials. It was popular 40-50 years ago because of cheap ammo and cheap rifles, but it was worthless even then. Seems everybody had one stashed in the back of the closet that they never shot. No, not the round of the future, IMO.
"Worthless", only relative to what you envision using it for. Others, myself included, really like the round (in the M1 Carbine), for plinking, three-gun competitions, informal recreational shooting, etc. It may not be ideal for deer hunting or other specific uses one may have an interest in, but not all guns are ideal for hunting, or some other specific use... some are just fun. As long as I am having fun, it is not a waste of powder and bullets.
Old January 5, 2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Jimro

It's not the round of the future. The 300 BO can do what you want already in an PDW size package. The 30 carbine is a fine round with soft point bullets, and if you have an M1 carbine it's a great handy little rifle. Of course the M1 Carbine was adopted for support troops so they would have something larger than a pistol, kinda like the PDW of its day...

The CAC PDW isn't that much smaller than a compact AR anyways, and the ballistics are such that even a 5.56x45 is comparable. So I doubt that 6x35 is a cartridge of the future either.

Jimro
Old January 5, 2016, 08:34 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
...the M1 Carbine was adopted for support troops so they would have something larger than a pistol...
Nevertheless, it was issued to some paratroopers in Europe, and I believe in the WWII Pacific (at least I have seen war footage of it being used in combat), and Korea (M2 Carbine).
It is not the "round of the future", for sure...no matter how much I like it.
Old January 5, 2016, 09:18 AM   #8
taylorce1

I have a cheap universal carbine, sure is fun to shoot and pretty accurate at 100 yards with the factory sights. I can usually pick up 50 rounds of FMJ for less than $20, especially if I go with steel cased ammunition. I'd love to have a little Howa Mini or Mini Mauser action in .22 Spitfire based off the .30 Carbine. I think it's better than the .22 Hornet and equal to the K Hornet for the reloader.
Old January 5, 2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Kosh75287

Quote:
GOSH, I hope NOT!

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 5, 2016, 09:27 AM   #10
g.willikers

There's plenty of competition for that spot with more modern and accessible calibers in a carbine, like .38 super or even 9mm and 9mm major.
The day for the .30 carbine might have come and gone a long time ago.
It was once popular mostly due to the availability of cheap surplus ammo.
Old January 5, 2016, 10:44 AM   #11
smee78

As much as I like the little carbine, I dought it's the next big thing. I did find something funny, 45 colt fits into the M1carbine mags just fine.
Old January 5, 2016, 12:12 PM   #12
RickB

Funny that a knock against a 70yo round is that a 10yo round "already" does what you foresee the .30 Carbine doing?
What the .300BO offers is compatibility with the AR. There's nothing especially interesting about the ballistics.
I'd be more interested in different rounds for the M1 Carbine platform, than oddball loadings of the .30 Carbine round, but that would have also been for the day of cheap, surplus Carbines.
Old January 5, 2016, 12:45 PM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimro
Of course the M1 Carbine was adopted for support troops so they would have something larger than a pistol, kinda like the PDW of its day...
I thought the whole point was not to have something larger than a pistol, but to have something that was easier to shoot for most people. It is a lot harder to teach a recruit how to shoot a small rifle with reasonable accuracy than a pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
What the .300BO offers is compatibility with the AR. There's nothing especially interesting about the ballistics.
Yeah, the .300 Blackout is an excellent solution designed to solve a very specific problem, a heavy subsonic round suitable for suppressed AR pattern rifles.

If you do not have that specific problem to solve, it isn't all that great.
Old January 5, 2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Pathfinder45

I think it's something from the past that was good for what it was made for and is still a viable package with the M1 Carbine as a home defense option. I expect it will continue to fade into the background. But who knows; as there are now new versions of the M1 carbine being made?
Old January 5, 2016, 01:52 PM   #15
TMD

With all the military surpluses ammo dried up about two decades ago the .30 carbines time has passed.
Old January 5, 2016, 02:27 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

Not a chance. The Carbine throws a 110 grain bullet at about 2,000 FPS. The new fangled .300 BO can throw a 230 grain bullet.
"...military surpluses ammo dried up..." Whoopee. Wasn't much good anyway. All the silly sob stories about the .30 Carbine are based on milsurp ammo.
"...in .22 Spitfire..." No ammo. No brass. No data. You'd be making it.
Old January 5, 2016, 03:08 PM   #17
seeker_two

I think the 5.7x28 is going to be the next .30 Carbine.....
Old January 5, 2016, 04:03 PM   #18
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...in .22 Spitfire..." No ammo. No brass. No data. You'd be making it.
That's where the fun is all at! Besides there is some data on the 5.7 Johnson aka Spitfire, and here as well. Oh Yeah, ammo is available as well PCI 5.7mm Johnson. It's a little expensive but for a reloader to get 50 cases at $1 each isn't bad, considering how many times you could reload them.
Old January 5, 2016, 05:12 PM   #19
Guv

First center fire rifle I ever fired as a kid was a WWII era M1 carbine. What a blast that little gun was and an efficient little cartridge! A few years latter we went hunting with my uncle and his Javelina gun was an M1 carbine. I would truly love one except for the price, they used to be affordable.
Old January 5, 2016, 09:40 PM   #20
natman

No.

I love it, but it will always be what it has been; a magnum pistol round fired from a small light carbine.
Old January 6, 2016, 01:03 AM   #21
Sure Shot Mc Gee

M1 30 carbine. War time short range battle rifle. Not much power not much bullet either. Great cartridge for up close and personal defense on the street. Other than that. Game wise taking. Rabbit comes to mind.
Old January 6, 2016, 02:22 AM   #22
bamaranger

Nah.....but.....

The .30 Carbine round was oddly selected, sort of by default if you will, based on an old Winchester .32 SLR round. The .32 SLR was anemic, and the resultant .30 Carbine was not cutting edge even in its day, though it served its purpose well, if not just by the pressure of sheer numbers.

What the handy little M-1 carbine needs is a a better cartridge.. I have no idea what the pressure limits of the action are, but I wish that they'd seen fit to go the .351 SLR route, or .401. A modern version could be something like a souped up 10mm (10mm Maximum or 10MM Super?) RL Wilson talks about just such a cartridge in his Ruger book, describing a hot .40 based on a shortened and modified 45-70 case cut to fit and run through the early Ruger Carbine action. Such a hot .40 was said to exceed 30-30 energy. What about a magzine holding 10-20 of those in a 5.5 lb M1 carbine?
Old January 6, 2016, 04:23 AM   #23
Jimro

Quote:
I thought the whole point was not to have something larger than a pistol, but to have something that was easier to shoot for most people. It is a lot harder to teach a recruit how to shoot a small rifle with reasonable accuracy than a pistol.
Whether or not there was a deliberate thought process about a carbine being easier to train than a pistol is not one I'd ever come across, but it's clear the War Department was looking at creating a main battle rifle and a support troop carbine. Considering the distinct lack of effective pistol range I don't think that anyone seriously considered pistols as an effective support weapon.

There were so many Soldiers whose job wasn't fighting with a real rifle, but aren't in jobs where a pistol would be an acceptable substitute. Forward observers, postal clerks, vehicle crew members, people who were in the war business to do something other than Infantry. Now the trend towards a shorter rifle started in the Infantry with the M4, and caused the phase out of the longer M16.

Jimro
Old January 6, 2016, 06:14 AM   #24
kcub

Quote:
I love it, but it will always be what it has been; a magnum pistol round fired from a small light carbine.
And what's wrong with that? It's been doing what it was designed to do, beat the crap out of being stuck in a jam with nothing but a pistol. You can hit anything you can see. Not much keeps breathing after one of these poked through an eye socket. Not a bad home defense weapon at all.

I wonder if someone makes a light that mounts on a bayonet socket for night or low light? I don't recall whether it even has a bayonet socket.

Last edited by kcub; January 6, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old January 6, 2016, 03:11 PM   #25
taylorce1

As it is with the firearms industry all things old are new again. Since I was talking about the .22 Spitfire aka 5.7mm Johnson I've been digging around a little on Google. Low and behold there is a big out there is a guy trying to make a living wildcatting the .30 carbine from 17-25 calibers, check out the Garin Sure Strike System.

Last edited by taylorce1; January 6, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
Closed Thread