The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 9, 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Guinness2

Colt 1917 bulged barrel

Hello everyone. (My first post):
I just bought a Colt 1917 revolver. During initial cleaning I noticed the brush slipped more easily through a spot in the barrel. Upon real close inspection, I notice there is a very slight bulge in the barrel near the frame. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it (or felt it as I did). Is this a big problem? Is it safe to shoot? Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 9, 2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Hawg

I wouldn't worry about it. If it was close to the muzzle it might affect accuracy but being that far back its good to go.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Archie

It is safe to shoot.

I had a similar problem with a six inch model 10 revolver some years ago. I noted a problem when firing it the first time - it grouped like a 12 bore with a worn barrel shooting 000 buckshot.

The bulge was right under the front sight. I fixed it by cutting the barrel back and remounting the front sight blade.

No difficulties with simply shooting the revolver. A bulge does not cause a pressure spike in any way I am aware.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 9, 2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Guinness2

Thanks. I was afraid to fire it. I'll go ahead and shoot it and see how accurate it is.
How much do you think it effects the value?
Old March 9, 2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Chesster

Check GPC for new bbl.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Archie

Value?

Collector guns usually depend on external finish and completeness - original grips and so forth. A bulge in the barrel will obvious NOT enhance collector appeal. Your original post indicates the bulge is not horribly obvious, so it may not distract much from the value - it depends on the collector.

Shooter value is a different matter. Normally, a bulged barrel will put off a shooter; UNLESS the shooter involved plans on shortening the barrel a bit anyway. However, normally, shooter (gun) values are less than collector (gun) values.

As to precise value, that depends on
1. How bad you want to sell it (lower),
2. How bad the buyer wants it (higher), and
3. Regional opinions. Some guns are very desirable in some areas and not in others.
4. Provenance. If the firearm has a documented history (Will Bill Hickok's gun, for instance) the price typically goes up. This applies more to collector values than shooter values.

Sorry to be so vague. The best indicator of value for you is to check on various internet auction sites - and HONESTLY compare yours with theirs; and attend some local gun shows to see what comparable items are bringing.

Local gun shops and pawn shops have to sell anything they purchase, and that lowers what they will be willing to pay (Nothing personal, it's just business).

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
jonnyc

I actually have a plan for a S&W or Colt 1917 that I find with a bulged barrel. I think Archie's situation was preferable to yours, however.

Tags
1917 , barrel , bulge , colt , revolver