The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 11, 2001, 10:30 AM   #1
Riss

Anyone know how a suppressor recoil regulator works ?

Have seen them, like Gem techs and know that some semi auto handguns need them but how do they work ?
Old December 11, 2001, 04:30 PM   #2
Cavè Canem

http://www.gem-tech.com/

Not to be a smart ass but did you look around the website? It expains how they work.

http://www.gem-tech.com/general.html

To go into detail about the construction would not be wise b/c then people like you and I would be building our own.

But basically is slowly bleeds off the gasses escaping the muzzle so the sound it deadened. I believe some also have a type of "insulation" inside to help.
Old December 12, 2001, 12:42 AM   #3
chetchat

My AWC Nexus - for the 1911 .45 - has a coil spring in the housing that screws onto the barrel, and it's twist lockable to either allow or restrict the .45 action cycling.

I haven't tried to figure it out, but I reckon one mode allows the barrel to slide backward during recoil (compressing the coil spring?), thereby unlocking the action, reloading the chamber and recocking the hammer - allowing the recycling process to complete, though somewhat slower than normal due to the suppressor's weight slowing the process. And the other mode "locks" the action in place, making for a quieter overall effect.

'Course, that's probably bass ackwards from what's actually taking place engineering-wise - but it sure works sweet