The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 31, 2015, 11:37 PM   #1
MasterGagne

Type 99 Arisaka Help

I am new here so hello everyone!

I am in need of some information, facts, anything interesting on a Type 99 Short Rifle I recently obtained

It's a Nagoya series 6 lower number 19492 with a ground mum.

I was given a bayonet to go with it that's from a different arsenal but "pretty rare" as I've been told..

I'm interested in any information I can get
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.7 KB, 100 views)
Old February 1, 2015, 07:36 AM   #2
CowTowner

I'm gonna chime in early and say that much better pics are needed to provide specific info on your rifle.
That said, congrats on the new acquisition.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 1, 2015, 10:51 AM   #3
RickB

In my experience, most 99s are missing some or all of the following: Complete and functional "anti-aircraft" rear sight, bolt cover, and monopod.
My gun has the rear sight, but is missing the bolt cover and monopod.
There are repro covers and 'pods, and I've considered buying them, but it sounds like the bolt covers were rarely in use for long, so it would be sort of silly to put a reproduction part on the gun that would "restore" it to a configuration that wouldn't be representative of the gun's appearance while in service.
I think I'd rather have a bayonet than the parts that are missing from my rifle.
Old February 1, 2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Dragonflydf

sometimes it is not a matter of missing the anti aircraft wings, or bolt cover or the monopod as they were deleted while in service, so it is possible to have a Type 99 without those parts and it will be correct as to it's series.

I have 4 Arisaka s, a Nagoya 0 series w intact mum, AA wings and mono pod, Nagoya 3 series, a Type 99 long, and a Type 38 Carbine.

Last edited by Dragonflydf; February 1, 2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:23 PM   #5
tahunua001

with a picture that small and far off it's pretty hard to give any information that you haven't already provided. it's a type 99, you apparently already know the arsenal and series number. low serial means nothing as there were 500,000 made in the 5 series that came before it. each series was numbered 1-99,999. you do not appear to have the monopod, and dust cover intact and it's impossible to tell without better pictures if the AA sights are still intact.

without closeups of the buttplate, bolt handle, safety knob, and rear sights it's impossible to tell if it's a last ditch rifle or not.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:21 PM   #6
MasterGagne

I've tried getting better pictures but they won't load on here from my phone it says they're over compacity and I don't have access to a computer
I will try when I get a chance
Old February 1, 2015, 08:22 PM   #7
MasterGagne

Type 30 bayonet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.7 KB, 46 views)
Old February 1, 2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Dragonflydf

To figure out your markings try here
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Ignore the comment about it maybe being a last ditch, you said you had a Nagoya series 6, there were 6 additional series after that with 99,999 rifles in each series, you have a mid war production rifle. Arisaka s are very rugged and are a joy to shoot. Ammo can be found without to much hassle and in a pinch cases can be made by trimming and resizing 30-06 brass, bullets are regular .30 caliber. I use the same bullet in my Type 99s, Cetme, Krag, 1903, 1917, 7.5 Swiss. I use either a 165gr cast round nose with a gas check or a Hornady 150gr FMJBT.
Look on line about how to disassemble the bolt and what to do if you get the bolt jammed up.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:35 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

The books and reloading manuals say the proper bullet for the 7.7mm Jap is a .311-.312" the same as the .303 Brit and 7.62x54R.

Groove diameter in these rifles has been known to vary, you might get acceptable results with a .308" bullet. The pair that I have do well enough with .311" bullets.

Pay attention to the multi-part stock, sometimes, these come apart during firing. Not common, but it happens, sometimes.

According to the stories, the bolt covers were often removed by the troops because they would rattle. SO, in the armory, or onboard a ship, probably has the cover, in the jungle, probably not.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:33 PM   #10
doofus47

MasterGagne: Welcome aboard. Congrats on your Nagoya series 6. Arisakas are fun rifles. As noted earlier by Dragonflydf, the production-intensive portions of the combat rifles were simplified as the war progressed and items such as air craft sights were dropped from standard production over time. Don Voigt has a great book on the Arisaka Type 99 detailing what pieces 'should' or 'should not' be normal on each rifle series.

More info on all things WW2 and Japanese can be found here:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...The-Rising-Sun

44AMP:
Quote:
Pay attention to the multi-part stock, sometimes, these come apart during firing. Not common, but it happens, sometimes.
Do you mean the dove-tailed butt stock? I've only had a couple Arisakas in hand, but the non last ditch versions were always very solid.

Or did the stock come apart somewhere else?

just curious.
Old February 2, 2015, 06:12 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Oddly enough the only "Arisaka" butt stocks I seen come apart with a degree of regularity are not Arisaka's, but Type I rifles. Apparently, the Italians didn't join the parts the same way, or used inferior glue. Of course, the Italians had no need to make the stock two-piece, but apparently the Japanese wanted them that way, believing the two-piece stock was stronger.

Jim
Old February 3, 2015, 02:40 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

The one that happened to me was a type 99 (7.7mm) (don't know which arsenal) that separated at the joint of the two piece forearm during firing!

It glued back together ok, and has held up since, but it did come apart.
Old February 13, 2015, 12:20 AM   #13
MasterGagne

It's got the plum bolt handle with the " checkered" safty knob, I was just curious about the rifle, it's very nicely put together and the bore is perfect. I know for a fact it's a midwar production very far from last ditch, thanks for the info guys! I really appriciate it!
Old February 13, 2015, 04:44 PM   #14
Dragonflydf

here is my Type 99, Nagoya series 0,

Anti aircraft wings

reproduction monopod

Type 99 Long

The Type 99 Long in the back, Type 99 in the front
Old February 16, 2015, 01:51 PM   #15
doofus47

44AMP
Quote:
The one that happened to me was a type 99 (7.7mm) (don't know which arsenal) that separated at the joint of the two piece forearm during firing!
FmyI... Thanks. I need to shoot mine more!

Tags
c&r