The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2012, 11:17 AM   #26
wogpotter

Quote:
I am not quite sure what you are intending to accomplish
Several minor things that will make the process better.

1: Independant depth setting for bullet seating & crimping.

2: Ability to crimp on multiple under length cases without segregating, or trimming further.

3: Best crimp type for jacketed bullets with a cannelure & plated ones without.

& since the suggestion of using the "spare die" repurposing of the component.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 28, 2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Lost Sheep

You are on the right track, then.

I am not sure how Lee accomplishes the same crimp on cartridges of varying case length (personally, I question the claim), but I do believe it is worth using the 4th die.

Lost Sheep
Old September 28, 2012, 10:09 PM   #28
joneb

Quote:
I am not sure how Lee accomplishes the same crimp on cartridges of varying case length (personally, I question the claim),
I agree,
What Lee calls good to shoot and what I call good to shoot maybe two different things. I have shot a fair amount of cheap factory ammunition and the accuracy is mediocre, I expect more from my reloads.
For me this is one reason I enjoy reloading, I can roll my own for less than 1/2 the cost and the loads are more accurate.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:15 AM   #29
wogpotter

Just to close this out.

I tried a couple of dummy rounds to setup the dies & the idea of using a "spare" resizing die as a taper crimp type of die was pretty impractical once I set it up.

There is no way you can back off the die enough to get a consistent crimp with a definitive stop. What you have to do is back off about 3/4 of the thread length to get camming action from the press then just "feel" how much of the case is entering the die & being reformed. I didn't feel there was any way of being consistant in doing so.

Contact with Lee brings up the fact that the profile of the inside of the crimping insert in the FCD's has a shallower, longer taper before transitioning to the roll crimp part of the die. This is why threy are saying you can be less dependant on case length, but only in reality for taper crimping I guess. Supposedly they switched all their dies to this new profile at some point & its only an improvment if you have dies with the earlier internal profile.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”