The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Beowulf5505

I wish airsoft would go away

I am sick of searching for gear and accessories online and only finding replicas for airsoft.

it used to be you could score some good gear off of ebay and now it seems like half the time you just find airsoft bs posing as the real thing! example: search magpul Pmag on ebay and see how many airsoft items come up! or you try finding a radio headset and you find replica bs so people playing airsoft can make their walmart walketalkie look like an MBITR. it is sickening.

anyway, rant complete, anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
Old November 13, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Wag

I've just started looking for airsoft guns but to be frank, I have no clue about it and have nearly bought some stuff which in retrospect seems quite frank. After poking around, I'm glad I haven't bought anything yet.

Any suggestions? How do I know the "real" thing.

--Wag--
Old November 13, 2010, 03:34 PM   #3
KChen986

Heh, a lot of former airsoft kiddies are now the same 'rough men' making sure you sleep safe at night.

It's annoying, but it's a hobby with both pros and cons.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4
brmfan

deleted
Old November 15, 2010, 03:18 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
One option would be to get said airsoft replicas to match your gear and practice if it fits your game.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:53 PM   #6
hagar

Problem is you are looking at the wrong place, ebay is not firearms parts friendly, but airsoft is OK. Try Gunbroker.
Old November 15, 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Beowulf5505

^ yeah i feel you about going other places. I just dont like people dressing things up to be something they aren't. i played a lot of paintball when i was younger and there was not that attitude to it. we were not pretending to be operators, we were just playing paintball. it seems to frustrate me more now that i am looking for gear for the real thing and just find a bunch of fake stuff.

to each his own i guess... but i still dont have to like it.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Dr MoonUnit

You wish it would go away?

I remember the last big event I went to in Texas entitled Night Scorpion. The majority of people I played with were either military, ex-military, police officers or firefighters.

Know why I play? It teaches tactics. Sure it can be annoying when you find parts that fit an Airsoft gun but not your gun. But the Pros definitely out weigh the cons.
Old December 2, 2010, 04:02 AM   #9
mak52580

I think it serves its purpose. As the above poster mentioned, its good for tactics and teambuilding.

Also, for those countries where citizens aren't allowed to have real guns it's the closest that they can get. If I were in any of these other countries, given that I would have no other options, I'm sure I'd be buying up all the airsoft gear that I could get too.

Sometimes we take for granted how lucky we have it compared to other countries.
Old December 3, 2010, 05:49 AM   #10
Last Knight

There's an awful lot of current and former military at the range I usually play at. I'm neither, but I rather enjoy shooting people and not going to jail for it.

As far as people "pretending to be something they're not," well, I guess by your logic nobody should ever play a game of basketball, baseball, or football unless they're in the NBA, MLB, or NFL. After all, they're not "real" players, right?

As others have mentioned, it's good for tactics and teambuilding. It's also a hell of a lot of fun. A thing does not have to have practical purpose to still be valuable.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:20 AM   #11
TDR911

Airsoft has its place and is a needed tool.
Absolutly great for force on force training. it does not get any better. Airsofts are accurate at close distances. Training with real life oponents that are shooting at you enhances the skill needed to do it in real life. This is why there so many law enforcement and military that will train with airsoft.

www.TDR911.com
Old December 3, 2010, 09:23 AM   #12
BlueTrain

What about reenactors? They used real things but never live ammunition. Blanks only but undoubtedly breaking most safety rules in the process. Strictly play for big boys with money to spare but lots of ex-servicemen enjoy it. They sometimes know more about a war than the men who fought in it.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:34 AM   #13
TDR911

This is true . Movie sets and reenactors use real weapons and shoot blanks. Some are permanatly fixed not to be able to put real bullets in them. most are not. They would be more realistic to use with the exception of somehow when a real bullet is inserted the inevitable happens. Such as the Brandon Lee death.
Personaly I want no real gun pointed at me at all. Thinks happen.

www.TDR911.com
Old December 4, 2010, 04:50 AM   #14
Combatshop

Buyer Beware

Be careful when purchasing on eBay. There's a lot of airsoft stuff marketed for real firearms. I don't know about the sport going away though. Its a great way to practice tactics. And unlike the real thing you can play airsoft and everybody stays alive to play another day.