The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 21, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
king.460

Davlandrum

How are you enjoying that new TOY? What did you decide to scope it with? Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!
Old February 21, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2
davlandrum

I put a box of 45 colt, a box of .454 and a box of 460 through it and love it. Not quality range time - just went out in the wild woods and shot it to get familiar with everything.

I have a serious range trip planned this weekend. How do you set-up at the range for max accuracy? I posted that question on the wheel gun section as well. I reviewed Chuck Hawks posted techniques, so I think I have the basic ideas, but any little tricks would be appreaciated. I have never shot a pistol from a bench striving for accuracy - more like clean, safe, smooth draw, present, double-tap COM.

No scope so far. I want to get the iron sights dialed in and then go back to the wild woods and work on some 100 yard shots in a hunting scenario (standing, kneeling, hasty supported) and see how that works out.

My buddy is sending over a red dot today as well, so depending on how I do with the the open sights, that will be my next step up.

Any suggestions on hearing protection while hunting? I was surfing around a little and I don't have $500 laying around for the ones that I thought looked the best. I am thinking in-ear-canal electronic so I can still hear while hunting.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 21, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
king.460

I knew the answer to the question I posed--just wanted to "hear" it from you.

I use a portable table (I have my own range), a bull bag and butt/pillow bag. I use the Walker's Game Ear Power Muffs for range and field. One of the best accessories I have ever purchased.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Wayward_Son

What is this new toy?
Old February 21, 2008, 06:50 PM   #5
davlandrum

S&W .460 XVR - my new hunting "rifle"

My hunting buddy has severe "gun envy"

His wife has threatened me with severe bodily harm if he gets one...

Not my fault she can't control him.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 21, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Wayward_Son

Good gravy, that's a serious piece of hardware. Makes my 686P 4" look all puny and underpowered.
Old February 22, 2008, 07:06 AM   #7
king.460

Davlandrum

Don't you love the looks on peoples faces when they see that bad boy for the first time?!

What .460 ammo are you going with? I really like the performance of the Hornady SST 200. Shot it with the XVR and now my PC and great results in both--range and especially field.
Old February 22, 2008, 11:45 AM   #8
davlandrum

King - I also am shooting the Hornady ammo - mainly that is the only thing anyone is carrying locally for the .460. I was in way too mcuh of a hurry to wait for any mail order ammo!!

When my buddy saw it for the first time, he went into the "dude!.......dude?......duuuude" speech.

I half expect everyone at the range will turn and look the first time it goes BOOM this weekend

Way-ward - I got it to hunt deer, and maybe elk, here in Oregon. It is replacing a rifle for hunting. I have other pistols for more traditional pistol jobs (carry).

I am sure a shrink would say I was compensating for something

Old February 22, 2008, 08:12 PM   #9
king.460

Davlandrum...

I have harvested a lot of whitetails with the Hornady SST 200s, probably half of which dropped in their tracks at 75-135 yards. Looking for better ammo is the least of my hunting worries. Getting in the S&W "200 Yard Club" is my next goal. I have the right ammo to do it with--now if the shooter can do his part...
Old February 25, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
davlandrum

King,

Are you using a scope? If so, which one (you probably told me before, but it is monday morning...). That is the only way I can imagine stretching this out that far - that is a long way for iron sights.

Trip to the range was a bust. I waited for my buddy to get off work on Sat and then we got there 2 minutes before the ranged closed at 4 p.m.

So we just went and shot some in the woods.

Shooting .454 Casull really has a snap to it, much worse than the .460. Of course, it was a heavier gr bullet (260, I think - MagTech). Local selection of either of these rounds is limited to 1 choice...

Even just leaning my rump against the tailgate, I am good out to 50 yards right now, at least pop can good.

Do you swap out your compensator for lead and jacketed? I ran some (40 rds or so) of .45 Colt lead through, but did not notice a bad build up when I cleaned it.

Old February 26, 2008, 08:00 AM   #11
king.460

Davlandrum...

My PC is scoped with an Aimpoint 9000 SC. Some tell me it's not the scope to use for the 200 yd. shots, but it does OK on milk jugs at 170. The only negative with this scope is low-light conditions, but with the aid of my binoculars I'll give up a little light for the assurance that my scope is going to be dead on and in one piece.

As for your other question, no I haven't switched comps. I used to run different rounds thru my XVR but the only round that has ever passed thru the PC is the Hornady SST.
Old February 26, 2008, 08:27 AM   #12
kayakersteve

I like the Leupold

Here's my setup when using a scope on it. I actually like it better with open sights, just limit my range for hunting.

Here is a monster buck I got the first year I hunted with it!!

Ok, the deer is not a monster, but the GUN IS!
Old February 26, 2008, 12:14 PM   #13
davlandrum

Thanks for the info guys, as always!

KS - is that the variable Leupold? Also, is that a 5" barrel? Just making sure.
Nice deer. I ain't all about the "monster deer", I just have to get my one deer/year for the freezer, otherwise my 3 bottomless pits (boys) will eat me out of house and home! Thank goodness Grandpa is a way better bowhunter than I am, so I usually get elk meat as well (payment for a strong backed pack mule...)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a monster on the wall. I just am not ready to pass on a legal deer to wait for a biggun.

I am sooooooo ready to go hunt!!!!!!!

Old February 26, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
kayakersteve

davldrum

Yes it's the Vari-X III with 2-7 x, I believe.
That is the 5 inch version 460 also.

Fun Gun!
Old February 26, 2008, 01:41 PM   #15
davlandrum

KS - looks like I will be somewhere in your vicinity this summer. I have in-laws in Buffalo and we are going for a family reunion.

Old February 26, 2008, 02:33 PM   #16
king.460

Dav & Steve...

Let me know if you're ever interested in a super Illinois handgun hunt. Got a great outfitter who allows handguns during the 3-day gun seasons. Davlandrum--you'll definitely have the opportunity to fill your freezer and piss the wife off with a wall hanger. PM if interested.
Old February 26, 2008, 04:32 PM   #17
kayakersteve

Davlandrum: We are 50 minutes southwest of Buffalo and the shore of Lake Erie. If your bored when your up this way, drop an email and I'll show you guys our beautiful gorge property and Lake Erie. I'm a retired Army brat; spent the first 17 years of my life in the Army with my pops - He retired in 1979 = Field Artillery/Pershing missle stuff. Was born in Germany and grew up in Fort Sill!

King 460:
That sounds like a great offer, but right now with a wife, 4 kids and 1 1/2 jobs in medicine, I am lucky to hunt and fish locally. We have great Steelhead fishing in our stream and turkey, deer, and lots of small game everywhere.
Old February 26, 2008, 05:59 PM   #18
davlandrum

KS - I will keep that in mind. I love my wife, and like my in-laws...but Buffalo in the summer just s*cks.

King, sorry - but I have to +1 to KS - I also got 4 kids, but only 1 job that pays, my "other job" is trying to get my 9 acres to make some $$.

I would love to do a white-tail hunt. Been awhile since I lived back east...

Old February 26, 2008, 07:06 PM   #19
kayakersteve

Dav - Keep it in mind - We are always open to any and all firearm friendlty visitors. Check out my website for pics of our acreage.

WWW.KayakForFun.com
Old February 26, 2008, 07:24 PM   #20
king.460

Steve

Visited your website and it's awesome! One day, when you get caught up in your medical profession (HA!) I'll take you on the Illy hunt. Why? My wife is an Emergency Nurse (RN) and am appreciative of your work and the hours spent. Plus, we all need the contacts!
Old February 26, 2008, 07:26 PM   #21
kayakersteve

You've got a deal! Where are you located? How far from western NY??
Old February 27, 2008, 07:39 AM   #22
king.460

Steve...

I'm in Alabama but hunt in Pike Co., IL--about 100 miles north of St. Louis. Great ground!
Old February 27, 2008, 11:59 AM   #23
davlandrum

KS - great website! I will keep you posted on our plans. It is usually centered around the 4th of July. I would love to escape the city and check out the gorge with the crew.

My guys are serious crawdad hunters, so would have a blast crawling around in the creek.

Old February 27, 2008, 01:17 PM   #24
kayakersteve

Just let me know!!
Old March 3, 2008, 01:39 PM   #25
davlandrum

Hey guys -

Just a quick update.

I actually made it to the range this weekend. Shot 100 rds of .45 colt and 20 rds of .460. I would have shot more .460, but I think I have bought all the local guys out. I bought the last box last week at the place I normally get it, and have not found any on anyone elses shelves...

50 yds is not bad, with either round. Not great, mind you, but all in all for as few rounds as I have put down it, I was pleased. I am still struggling with shooting from a bench with a wheel gun.

On a whim, I shoot my last 4 .460s at 100 yds. 2 out of 4 in the 8" circle with iron sights.

I think I am going to have to scope this thing, though. At 100 yds, that 8 inch circle gets pretty small.

Got a lot more shooting to do to get into hunting form, but I think it will come around.

Any leads on "cheap" .460 ammo would be much appreaciated. I keep saving brass, and will start reloading, but need to accumulate enough brass to use. Also looking for bulk .45 Colt jacketed - everything is lead for the cowboy shooters, it seems.