The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2007, 02:26 PM   #1
456-SGT

Opinion on value - Remington 870

I am debating between two shotguns that are set up virtually identical, the only difference is the action. Both are Remington 870's, one is a Wingmaster action and the other is an Express action.

Comparing the two, does the Wingmaster generally have a bit more value / or retain its value a bit more over an Express?

Thanks!
Old October 11, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Davis

Yes, the Wingmaster has a higher value, and retains its value. And sometimes, it isn't a bit more, but $100 more.

Davis
Old October 11, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Express is Remington's "Budget" model made to sell at a cheap enough price that it can compete against the much cheaper to make Mossberg and the now-discontinued Winchester 1300.

It reduces the price by lowering the quality of finish, and by using hardwood stocks with a quick finish, and some plastic and MIM parts.

The Wingmaster is Remington's top-of-the-line premium model.
It has top quality polished bluing, American Walnut wood with the famous "Bowling pin" finish, and no plastic or MIM parts.
Old October 11, 2007, 06:11 PM   #4
uzimon

the last 2 express' 1 bought from a pawn shop
1. supermag (3.5") $150 otd
2. magnum (3") wood stock $125 otd

your results may vary
Old October 12, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
456-SGT

Another question about these two models. The Express that I use at work has a fair amount of spring tension when inserting shells into the mag tube. The Wingmaster I am looking at has very little tension, and the shells insert with utmost ease.

Is the mag tube spring in the Wingmaster different than the Express, or is this particular spring that I am dealing with just older and retaining less tension?

And, yes, the Wingmaster I am looking at is "used".
Old October 12, 2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

The Express and Wingmaster use the same magazine spring.
Only the Police model has a stronger spring.
Old October 12, 2007, 08:32 PM   #7
456-SGT

Then I have a pretty good idea that the spring on the Wingmaster was well worn. I ended up ordering a new Express, even though the Wingmaster was a really nice gun. I just think it was high mileage despite its good looks.

Thanks to all who contributed.
Old October 15, 2007, 05:12 PM   #8
perazzimx14

I doubt the 870 was high mileage. Unless it was a trapshooter who owned it most "hunting guns" see 1 or 2 thousand rounds per owner at the most. The receiver will last about 300,000 rounds before it will develop crack at the back of the bolt opening. At this point you drill a 1/8th hole at the end of the crack and shoot it it for another 75,00 to 100,00 rounds. If the spring was weak it was probly because the magazine tube was left loaded with shells for a super long duration. The replacement spring is about a $7.00 part.