The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 1999, 01:31 PM   #1
cornered rat

I am curious, how easy would it be for folks who cast their own bullets to pour lead over regular construction nail? Perhaps hold that nail in place above the base of the buller and then clip off the head. The idea is to roughly duplicate WW2-era anti-tank loads in a revolver. I realize the nail is not the same as tungsten, but still, it is harder than lead. Caveats, potential issues?

CR
Old August 13, 1999, 03:21 PM   #2
BigG

It might work, however, a revolver's velocity would not cause it to penetrate like an M1 armor piercing round...
Old August 14, 1999, 12:49 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

This sounds like a question from someone who has not cast many bullets. The bullet mold sprue cutoff is at the base of the bullet. You can't insert anything hard through the hole because it would ruin the sprue cutter. If you just drop something in the mold, it might point any direction, at complete loss of accuracy. Keeping the whatever centered would be a big problem.

It would be easier to drill a hole in the bullet and insert the "thing".

Now, what a prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney would say to a jury if you ever did use it on anyone...???

Jim
Old August 14, 1999, 09:17 AM   #4
Quantrill

I did something similiar to this years ago. Took a Lyman .38 cal hollow point 200gr mold and screwed into the hollow point a hardened screw of the appropriate size and there it was. The accuracy was fair but I never really did complete tests on either accuracy or penetration. I would imagine that you could do the same. One more thought on actually trying to cast a nail into the bullet. The nail would have to be preheated to the same temperture as the molten lead or there would be cavities at random throughout the bullet.
Quantrill
Old November 6, 1999, 06:09 PM   #5
TheOtherMikey

Can you imagine what would happent if the "thing" inserted were a primer instead of a nail? Ouch!!!

It's not my idea, I saw it somewhere.
Old November 8, 1999, 12:22 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

T.O.M.: As long as you're seeing things, imagine how much room there is for a charge of primers instead of shot in a .45 Colt.

Drill out a soft-nose bullet from its jacket...

Art