The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
Phxdog

.500 Magnum Light Load?

I have a 350 grain copper-clad flat nosed bullet at 800 fps & muzzle energy of 500 ft. lbs. I there anyone out there who can tell me how suitable this load might be in a defense situation? Are there 'proven' loads in other calibers that are similar?

BTW - I understand that there are a lot of factors that make the big mag a pretty poor choice as a defensive weapon, I'm really more intersted in your thoughts on the load.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:00 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

I think that load would be perfectly fine against 2-legged animals. I think a hollow point would be better than a flat point, since the expansion would tend to help prevent over penetration, but that's starting to split hairs. A well-aimed hit with a 350 grain .50 caliber bullet at 800 fps is going to take the fight out of any human attacker.

Mike
Old January 24, 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Phxdog

I know that @ 1/2" the bullet is already pretty big, but will a HP expand at only 800 FPS? I seem to remember the magic 1000fps required for expansion.

In a center mass shot, do you think this load would over penetrate?