The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 14, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
rentascout

300 weatherby Newbie here need HELP

I just traded for a 300 weatherby vanguard, and tryign to find out a couple things to include the correct zero range. I plan on using it for normal hunting so probably will not go -ast 350-400, but want to see where I should be firing from, aiming center mass , and where should the round be hitting for a center mass at 200 or so, I am sure someone know a website or even the facts.

I plan on using 180 coreloktby remington.

I also know I have to use weatherby rounds but he gave me two boxes of ammon and one says win mag on the box, but the rounds themselves say 300 weatherby ont he bottom, so I think he just used that box.

Any help would be great. I do no have a good range I can go too just yet, but I am looking hard.

I have heard that at 200 I should be 3.1 inches high which would put me about center at 300 and low by 3 at 100 but I want to make sure. I thought there would be a sight you coupld plug in your weapon and ammo and it would say where you needed to be. Thanks guys
Old September 14, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
GeauxTide

A 180 at 3100fps

A 1.5" at 100 will give you a 200 zero and point blank to about 350. A 2" at 100 will put your zero at about 225 and get you point blank to about 400. 3" at 100 will make your trajectory too steep under 200.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
tahunua001

300 weatherby is incredibly flat shooting with high velocity and very low bullet drop and wind drift. I have mine sighted 4 inches high at 100 and it's dead on at 500 yards. I would say a standard 1.5-2 inched high at 100 would give you close enough to zero at 200 for hunting accuracy.

to my knowledge remington and winchester do not make ammo for the 300 weatherby. I have been forced to use factory weatherby ammo(which is not cheap in any way shape or form). at least it's a 308 diameter bullet so reloading options are plentiful. I was pretty impressed though, 3200 fps out of standard factory loads is pretty freaking fast and some reloading manuals have loads for all the way up to 3400 FPS. it'll drop anything in north america that is for sure.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Samurai1981

If you have a phone that accepts apps there is such thing, you put in the different info and it will tell you exactly how to compensate for the distance you are asking for. Not the best way to learn to shoot but once you have it all figured out it can still help you
Old September 14, 2012, 08:13 PM   #5
rentascout

This is the ammo I was talking about is by remington

Ammo .300 Weatherby Magnum Remington Core-Lokt PSP 180 Grain 20 Round Box 3120 fps, it is off cheaperthandirt

Thanks for the sight tips I look forward to getting some rounds downrange and getting it going. I have been reading on the rounds quite a bit and man I did not know there were so many different types. I just one to find that one round and stick with it. The guy I got it from gave me both 150 and 180 so figured 180 would be good to go with and I can use the 150 just to get use to smacking my face on the scope.

Please keep the info coming the more the better it will only help me and what app are you talking about sam?
Old September 14, 2012, 08:17 PM   #6
tahunua001

I believe it is a nikon app, I think winchester has one as well. my LGS has an Ipad with the nikon app on it so you can make adjustments while bore sighting.

not precise by any means but gets you close to where you want to be and offers a good start point.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Samurai1981

Quote:
The guy I got it from gave me both 150 and 180 so figured 180 would be good to go with and I can use the 150 just to get use to smacking my face on the scope.
The 150gr will also have a different velocity and lower point of impact
Old September 14, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
rentascout

Yeah tracking that 150 and 180 will not impact at the same point, but a good round to shot nad get a good feel for it. I will only use 180 for hunting just trying to figure out which type is better. Trying to hunt down the app
Old September 14, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Scorch

The300 Weatherby shoots incredibly flat. That said, you will be surprised at the level of recoil and muzzleblast you will experience with that cartridge. Sight it in so that you will have a +/- 4" MaximumPoint Blank (MPB) trajectory and you wil be within a deer's vital area out to 400-500 yds.
Quote:
to my knowledge remington and winchester do not make ammo for the 300 weatherby.
Remington does, I was surprised when I saw a box of it last week.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...nsionid=15988&

Go to JBM http://www.mega.nu:8080/traj.html to do your ballistics calculations. Just a hint, the site does not care what cartridge you are shooting, it just looks at specific bullets at a given velocity.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
rentascout

Scorch please explain +/- 4" MaximumPoint Blank (MPB) trajectory

I am in the Army but need some help
Old September 14, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Remington does, I was surprised when I saw a box of it last week.
interesting...federal appears to have one now too but man they are expensive. you may as well buy a box of weatherby for half the price of remington and federal and just reload them with the bullet and charge you want.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #12
rentascout

is reloading a good idea, I have no knowledge on reloading and do not know if I plan on shooting it that much. Who knows, please keep it coming
Old September 14, 2012, 08:46 PM   #13
rentascout

also looking for a good round to stick with the rems I have do not have a solid point flat point
Old September 14, 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
tahunua001

reloading is very complicated and very easy to mess up if you do not know what you are doing. there literally over 1000 different kinds of gun powder out there and certain calibers are misnomers, IE 303 brit is actually a 310 caliber bullet and even though you have 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 are both 7.62s one is 311 diameter and one is 308 diameter.

you have to heavily study every caliber you plan on loading before you buy the components and read a number of manuals and then you actually have to expiriment with different formulas to find which ones function best in your gun.

I recommend that if you start reloading it is best to have a friend that reloads walk you though the process a few times so that you get a good idea of what exactly you are getting into.

of course there are other things to worry about like casing wear/barss stretching, over crimping and a dozen other things that can go wrong so unless you are highly committed and have someone that can show you the ropes then I recommend against reloading...which sucks for weatherby shooters because at the best of times you are costing yourself $2 every time you squeeze the trigger.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:57 PM   #15
rentascout

well I think for now I will stick with buying them and over time I will get into it. I just dont want to buy rounds that are going to change flight or mix and match I think I will stick with remingtons and use the numbers I have on here to get zeroed. Still cannot find a good app guys
Old September 14, 2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
please explain +/- 4" MaximumPoint Blank (MPB) trajectory
When fired, the bullet travels in an arc that crosses the line of sight at about 50 yds, then again farther out, where depends a lot on velocity, zero range, etc. So a lot of people zero their rifles at 100 yds then try to calculate the range to their target and compensate by aiming higher on the animal. This sometimes causes people to miss the animal completely.

The MPB method is simplicity itself: just find out how large the vitals of the animal you are hunting is, then sight your rifle so that as the bullet rises and falls it never goes outside of that dimension out to a distance you can calculate.

A deer's vitals are about 8" across, so you want to find what range you can sight in for that will keep the bullet's path within that area, in this case 8" or +/- 4" from your line of sight. So play around with the JBM software a little, telling it what the velocity is, what the ballistic coefficient is, and what the weight of the bullet is, and adjusting the zero yardage until you can see from the output that the bullet does not rise or fall more than 4" from line of sight (+ will be above line of sight, - will be below line of sight). Then look at where the output says the bullet strikes at 100 yds, and zero that many inches high at 100 and feel relatively confident that you will be able to hold dead on your target and hit within that +/- 4" out to X yards without having to hold over.

If you have questions after you have tried the JBM software, you can PM me.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:08 PM   #17
rentascout

so what is the best point I see so many, and thinking about using the 180 but changing type since remington is crazy on price. YOU TELL ME also good websites to buy
Old September 14, 2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Scorch

I would just buy the ammo from wherever you can get the best deal. I like Midway, but there are other sites that sell ammo as well.

As far as sighting in, assume a 180 gr bullet at 3,100 fps: sight your rifle 3.4" high at 100 yds and it will be 4" high at 200 yds, and have a MPB of 350-ish yds. That does not mean you can't hit anything beyond that yardage, it just means that out to 350 yds you can just hold dead on and shoot and expect to hit the animal. Beyond that range you will have to hold over the desired point of impact (not holding over the animal). Pretty simple, try it.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:26 PM   #19
rentascout

It almost looks like going to a local big chain store is about the same. I just want to get out there and figure up the dope, and start getting a feel for where it will shoot. I got all the big game numbers figured out just have to get bullets out of the rifle
Old September 14, 2012, 09:29 PM   #20
tahunua001

I found out a couple years ago that you rarely get good deals online. by the time you factor in shipping and handling(especially bulk ammo orders) it's about the same price as big chain stores. I got lucky I got 2 boxes of weatherby ammo for $40 plus tax at my LGS and got a good deal on my reloading dies so I can probably get close to 100 rounds down range before I have to buy more.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:34 PM   #21
Samurai1981

Have any of you ever tried luckygunner.com? Great prices and shipping
Old September 14, 2012, 09:43 PM   #22
big al hunter

Remingtons website and the Hornady website have ballistic calculators on their site. For the app search for "ballistic calculator" you will have several to choose from. You need the ballistic coefficient for your bullet for any calculator to give you good info. If you can't find the bc for your bullet use one of the same caliber, weight, and shape. It will be close enough to get you started. Then shoot and see if it is correct.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:05 AM   #23
math teacher

Go to nikonhunting.com and use their Spot On program (free). Simply select one of there Nikoplex scopes and the information is good for any scope. I recommend choosing the 6 inch option, 3 inches high to 3 inches low, to allow for a little human and gun error. My experience is that their program is very accurate.

I just ran it for you. For the six inch option sight in at 100 yards at 2.33 inches high and you will be zeroed without going over 3 inches high with a 355 yard zero and 3 inches low at 300 yards.

If you choose the 8 inch option sight in at 2.96 inches high youwill be zeroed in at 285 yards and 4 inches low at 336 yards. Ok for elk.

Even if you choose the 10 inch option, good for a miss on a deer at midrange, and sight in at 3.52 inches with a 310 yard zero, you will be 5 inches low at 366 yards. So much for holding dead on out to 500 yards.

I did not adjust for your altitude,so you will shoot a hair flatter, but it will only add five yards or so.
Old September 15, 2012, 05:30 PM   #24
jmr40

Quote:
Scorch please explain +/- 4" MaximumPoint Blank (MPB) trajectory
I ran some numbers for you using Nosler Accubond 180 gr bullets with a BC of .507

If you zero your 300 at 300 yards your bullets will be 3.3" high at 100 yards and 3.9" low at 350. About 9" low at 400 yards.

This used to be a common way to zero, but there are better ways with todays technology.

I use a scope with long range dots. With your 300 mag you simply zero the crosshairs at 200 yards, you will only be 1.2" high at 100 so you won't have to remember to aim low on the shots you are most likely to take. There are dots on the vertical post below the crosshairs. The 1st dot will be your 300 yard zero, the 2nd will be your 400 yard zero, and where the post tapers from thick to thin will be your 500 yard zero.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-...pe-P51800.aspx

On non-magmum rounds such as 30-06 you zero at 100 and each dot corresponds to 200, 300, and 400. They are very accurate and simple to use.
Old September 15, 2012, 06:10 PM   #25
Mobuck

Two things I noticed in the original post. First-forget about that "center of mass" term since shooting a deer COM will result in a gut shot. Second: most of the non-Wby ammo is rated at lower muzzle velocity than the Wby stuff. This coupled with the barrel length of the Vanguard puts you right in the same velocity ballpark as the 300 Win Mag. The reason=many of the Wby muzzle velocity figures are produced using a 26" barrel. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the Vanguard has a 24" barrel(my 257 WBy does) which costs some speed. Cou[pled with the reduced velocity of the "aftermarket" ammo, you now have a louder, harder kicking 300 win Mag.
Not trying to poop on your parade, just stating some facts.
I've been considerably disappointed with my Vanguard 257 Wby as it doesn't show me much improvement over a 25/06 w/24" barrel while burning 15% more powder.