The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2010, 02:25 PM   #51
Big Bill

Here is my favorite dog of all time and is now my watchdog and constant companion...

Her name is Kitty.

Old September 14, 2010, 02:28 PM   #52
aarondhgraham

Yappy little dogs with huge ears,,,

Nothing slips past them,,,
If someone is in your yard they will let you know.

Best burglar alarm system there is.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 14, 2010, 05:10 PM   #53
NickW

Wow Jfruser, Max's looks like he's all business. Brings back memories, had a Dobe as a very young kid, he would sleep on my bed too. God bless dogs, gotta love em.
Old September 14, 2010, 05:18 PM   #54
mordis

I just wanted to chime in on this very important subject. Dogs are great at alert barking, which is what most of us want. While the idea of having a protective dog to add another layer security is a good one, it does require lots of training for both dog and owner and should not be confused with DVG and Schutzhund. Which are not personal protection training. Think of dvg and schutzhund as the various pistol and rifle sports around that are about shooting but offer little usefull training for real world. I would hate for someone to go and buy a schutzhund dog and expect it to protect them, only find out it will not perform becuase the dog only does what it does under a controlled set of circumstances. Say with the aggressor dressed in his obvious bitesleeve and exadgeratedly waving about a whip or stick.

Lastly becuase you have what is considered a protective breed, doesent mean that all dogs will be. Case in point, I went to clients house/office to deliver some heavy truck parts. The office in the front part of the house and you are expected to just walk in. There was a Boxer(protective/police breed) on the porch on a tie out, and a boxer and large Pitbull in the house with the secratery(wife of owner). As i approched the porch the outside boxer looked up at me and gave what I perceieved as a alert bark to his brothers inside. he proceeded to keep barking at me, yet as i approched he sniffed my hand and other object and eventually licked my hand. I went inside and was greeted by the other boxer and the pit, both of which were barking at me, but after a few seconds started sniffing and licking me. Tho if i moved they would bark at me. When i approched the secretary, who was sitting, i the pitbull went inbetween me and the secratery and the boxer took up a position to my right.

Now the only protective thing that happened was that the pit gave a low warning growl if i got to close to the secretary(his hackles were not raised, it was a low growl that i percieved as a warning) the boxer to my right proceeded to bark at me as the Pit growled. I feel that these dogs would not have done much other then bark at a intruder if one had broke in later. Tho there is the remote chance that i was one wrong move from a 2 way mualing.

All im saying is, just becuase a dog is a protective species dosent mean it will, same thing for the non protective ones, like the pitbull, which is not considered to be a protective species, was very protective.

Last edited by mordis; September 14, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old September 15, 2010, 05:37 PM   #55
sakeneko

BigBill, my sister-in-law and brother have one of those, although theirs is probably slightly smaller than yours and not *quite* as aggressive looking as yours is in that picture. Papillons are *great* watch dogs -- intelligent, alert, and aware. Actually, IMHO they're great dogs period.
Old September 15, 2010, 07:05 PM   #56
Lost Sheep

Bill Cosby said it best

I think Bill Cosby said it best in one of his records. About little dogs being good burglar alarms.

"Hey, somebody's in the house. My leg's wet."

A dog does not have to bite to be a good first line of defense. Just wake you soon enough that YOU can decide if biting is appropriate, and get whatever biting tool (12 gauge, baseball bat, etc) you prefer to use and to call 9-1-1, send up flares, start spreadin' that Jello, whatever.

Lost Sheep
Old September 15, 2010, 08:12 PM   #57
kaylorinhi

Pics of Mines

The first one is them two together.

The second is Saidi.

The third is Ranger while I was visiting him before he got work-release under my custody!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.JPG (68.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG09581.jpg (22.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0969.jpg (69.3 KB, 50 views)
Old September 15, 2010, 11:04 PM   #58
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
start spreadin' that Jello, whatever.
Get outta here, chicken heart!
Old September 15, 2010, 11:21 PM   #59
cdutton

Male lab/Rodesian mix is three years old. Female lab/boxer mix is nine.

Both chased a wild boar out of my yard once, and aren't afraid of NUTHIN'.

The males bark is almost as frightening as a round of 00 buck.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:48 PM   #60
MLeake

Just acquired a third canine warning system...

... in my absence.

Called home from the sandbox the other night, and the lady told me she'd encountered a stray dog her last few visits to the boarding stable where we currently have two of our warmbloods. In my lady's words, "I'm starting to get attached."

So... asked her to take the dog to the vet, check for microchips and ailments; if that turned out ok, asked her to have vet or techs handle the stray while we introduced our smaller, more aggressive dog to her; if those tests passed, asked her to verify it was ok with the landlord.

Microchip came back positive - microchips are great things - but my lady called the owner, and learned that Lola's owner's elderly mother had just moved in with her, and she couldn't keep the dog any more. Guess the elderly mother must have been fragile. So Lola's owner brought crate, blanket, toys, bowls, and leash to our place.

Canine warning system now consists of a 9.5lb, 10yo Jack Russell (the boss of the pack); a 45lb, 9month American Bulldog/German Shepherd/Samoyed mix (gotta love the new DNA tests the vet can run for breeds in a rescue dog); and a 50lb, youngish lab/pointer mix (according to the former owner; to us, she looks more like a pit mix).

I don't think any burglar in his right mind would want anything to do with our house at this point. Three sets of barks, and 1.5 sets of effective teeth... Not to mention the armed farmgirl, when I'm gone.

Makes me much less anxious about being 8.5 time zones away.

Cheers,

M

PS can't post pics, because I can't access picasa from this location. Sorry.
Old September 17, 2010, 01:48 PM   #61
jfruser

MLeake:

Lab/Pointer mixes (English or German) are robust dogs that look stouter than you think they would, given the lab/pointer inputs.

They make a great dog. My FIL had a male GSP (Ten, see him in my previous post) who got friendly with a neighbor's female chocolate lab.

Junior (one of the male pups) had lab size and GSP musculature. IOW, he looked like a chocolate body-building dog with a very broad head. Junior was right in the middle, temperament-wise. He lacked a lab's laziness and a GSP's frenetic energy. A fine, friendly mutt.

Of course, lab/APBT mixes are very common, too. I'd say more lab/pointer mixes in the country and more lab/APBT mixes in the city.
Old September 21, 2010, 09:07 AM   #62
bikerbill

Unless your dog is attack-trained, his key role is alerting you to trouble ... my beagle is a wus, but he's as loud as an air raid siren (does that date me?) when somebody walks past, comes to the door or sneezes within 100 yards of my house ... of course he also barks at the deer we have constantly in our front yard, birds in the back yard and at our patient cat ... dogs are great friends and great warning devices; I highly recommend them ...
Old September 22, 2010, 09:07 PM   #63
dgreen

i have a boxer/black lab female that weighs about 65lbs. she is all black except some white on her belly. looks mean, but isnt. scared the pizza guy off the porch, scares solicators, nieghbors kids. she is a great deterent without showing any aggression. i will always have a dog of medium to large size for security reasons and my little girl just loves her 4 legged sister.