The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
eeksplee

My Benelli Nova Review.

After 20 years with my trusty 1300 and two bad experiences with Mossberg, I realized that it was no longer time to cheap out, and went out and bought a new proper shotgun. The Benelli Nova was going for $549 and I grabbed it while I could. I knew when I bought it that it would be a long lasting gun that I could do anything with.

First impressions when I took it out of the box was that this is a fairly heavy gun, weighing around 8lbs with a 28' barrel. I dont mind that though, I like hefty guns. It incorporates a skeleton frame over molded with durable polymer. The stock and receiver are all one piece. This is a feature a lot of people dont like, but as Im not into the tactical scheme with all of these fancy pistol grip stocks, it dont matter at all. It do feel like a solid gun, a lot better than my former gun, the Mossberg 535. I feel like I could enter a war with this gun. It has a red fiber optic front sight with a mid bead, and a fairly highly raised ventilated rib. Mine came with 3 removable chokes, F, M, and IC. I however, prefer a really tight pattern so I put on an Undertaker HS Strut super full extended choke tube, which proves very effective. Instead of traditional checkering, Benelli have added molded in lines on the grip and forend, which look and feel good. Mine is the black synthetic model, although there are Realtree APG and Max-4 camouflage models if thats what you prefer. The Nova do not have the Benellis famous Comfortech system, but being and 8lb gun, the gun isnt that bad recoil wise. Even with 3.5 inch magnums, its manageable. Although, if you are sensitive to recoil, you have the option of the Supernova, an upgraded version of the Nova. I have put about 500 rounds through this gun, and I have had no failures to cycle or fire. It has been flawless, even when I was working it as fast as I could, it kept pumping those shells.

Overall, I think this is a great shotgun and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a tough, long lasting gun.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
jmr40

I've had one in the past and like them well enough from a mechanical perspective. They may well prove to be the best pump ever made. I'm just too used to the 870 in a pump, and it has always worked well for me. I really like the Benelli M-1 and M-2 guns. They are some of the lightest, most trim shotguns on the market. I could just ever understand why the Nova had to be so thick, heavy and chunky feeling. I like the gun, it just handles like a fencepost to me.

Where do you live. I can buy them at $419 any day. $549 seems awful high.
Old February 12, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
eeksplee

I live in Canada, where our laws and prices are different.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
jmr40

That explains it. $549 just seemed too high. I think you'll love the gun.
Old February 13, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
eeksplee

Its my favorite pump action. I dont plan on selling it. Mine fits me pretty well though.
Old February 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #6
ripnbst

Fit is HUGE in a shotgun. Glad you found one you like.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Emuricah513

I would have to agree, I purchased the Benelli Supernova last year and have had no complaints. Cycles 2 3/4" up to 3 1/2" with the nice shell stopper feature. Also the recoil reducer in the supernova made it nice because my girlfriend is pretty tiny so shooting guns with a decent kick isn't something she enjoys.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Sphawley

Great guns! I have two...One Nova and one Nova tactial my favorties for all around use!
Old February 16, 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
LakeCruiser

Long time owner

I bought mine when they first came out. Never had any trouble with it. I mostly use it for turkey hunting with 3 or 3 1/2" rounds. You won't be disappointed.