The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2008, 04:07 AM   #1
Redhook

help with my new Dillon...

I've been using a Rockchucker for many years, but just bought my first Dillon 650. Since I already have a die set (RCBS Competition) for my .223 Rem, the general concensus on the forums was that I could reuse the full length sizer with the Dillon. I already purchased a standard RCBS seater die as the comp seater requires a special shell holder.

I set up the sizer die in my RockChucker just to get a measurement on the shoulder bump. Standard instructions, screw the die down until it touches the shellholder and slightly cams over at the bottom of the stroke. I'm using a Stoney Point Headspace gauge. As a reference point, I'm getting 1.457" after sizing. 1.456" seems to be the norm for factory loaded unfired brass. So this seems pretty normal.

So I set the die up in the 650. First thing I notice is that I have the screw the die almost all the way down to get anywhere near the shellholder. But following the Dillon instructions, I held off a little bit. As expected I didn't get any bump from 1.464" as fired. As a matter of fact, one grew to 1.465". Anyway, I screwed the die down until it just touches the shell holder and it still won't bump.

I'm wondering a) is it OK to screw the die down (if I can) until the ram cams over a little as instructed by RCBS? The last thing I want to do is screw up the 650. Or, b) am I going to need a new sizer die? If so, what are you guys using?

Thanks!
Old December 2, 2008, 04:20 AM   #2
Hommbs

If the press handle is bottomed out you can have a little slight pressure from the die on the shellplate, but there shouldn't be massive pressure, if there is, something isn't right. If you shellplate is on a bit on the loose side, it will be floating higher and possibly that's causing what you're seeing?
Old December 2, 2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Hommbs

If the press handle is bottomed out you can have a little slight pressure from the die on the shellplate, but there shouldn't be massive pressure, if there is, something isn't right. There is a spring and detent ball under the shellplate that helps the shellplate snap into the correct position, if the shellplate is loose that spring and detent ball will float the shellplate high. You can lower your sizing die till the shellplate bottoms out/compresses the detent ball spring all the way and that's about it, otherwise you'll be stressing the machine's frame.
Old December 2, 2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Grollen

Reply to :Redhook

Hi,

Go to the Dillon forums of Brian Enos, this is a forum dedicated for the Blue Boys .

When you can't find the abwer there, propably someone on the forum can help you.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

Greetings,

G Rollen
Old December 2, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Redhook

Thanks guys. I have yet to bottom out then cam over the die like I would on my chucker. Right now it's just touching the shell holder. And as you pointed out Hommbs, the shell holder could be riding a little high. When I changed shell holders (650 came set up for 9mm), I backed off the shell holder screw about a 1/4 turn. Instructions said "a little bit".

I called Dillon and they claim that I can cam over on the die a little bit. I'm still a little nervous putting that much stress when it is off centered like that. I know it won't damaged the chucker. But that is a lot of force over such a little distance.

By "cam over", I mean the shell holder comes into contact with the die just a hair before the lever reaches full stroke. It just takes a tiny bit of extra pressure on the handle to pop it into full stroke. I just know with the geometry involved that it is putting a fair amount of force up into the ram and die.