The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2016, 07:03 PM   #1
wizard1911

Making Confetti

I've been looking at the Liberty 45 acp, checking videos and reading range reports so I thought I'd give it a try. First of all this is not even close to being real world or any type of scientific tests. I taped 3" of telephone books together with several layers of duct tape. The first round of Liberty was impressive, penetrating the 3" of books and turning the last book into confetti with about a 4" exit hole. The next round was Hornady Critical Defense and only made it through the first 2". I had hung both targets from a 2"x4" and the Liberty hit so hard it ripped the duct tape and put the remainder of the target in the back of the berm. The Hornady just made it flip up a little. Not real world or scientific but very impressive. A lot of people call the Liberty round a gimic. Perhaps, but I had an idea. Why not carry both? I tried alternating them in the mag had no malfunctions. One thing that did surprise me was the inaccuracy of both rounds. I thought I was having a bad day so I loaded some 230 gn Federal and some of my 185 gn handloads. Both removed the bullseye of the 6" target. The Liberty and Hornady both had a POI about 5" left and 4" low, but decent groups. One other thing. I used a Colt Defender and an M&P Shield and did the tests in both guns. Now, if I'm ever attacked by zombie phone books, I'll be good to go.