The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 5, 2010, 09:20 AM   #1
XDMike

New guy comp shooting question

Hey everyone, I am new here. The wife an I just bought a couple .22's. I got the beretta neos an she got the smith&wesson 22a. I have been around firearms for a while but I would like to get into some competitive shooting. What kinds of competitions could I use my new gun for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2
MrBorland

How 'bout some rimfire steel? There are a few monthly matches locally here I'd like to try. Ruger sponsors one of them. Maybe there's one by you.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rugerRimfire/action.html
Old March 5, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
rsxr22

ya the rimfire steel matches and bullseye is about all you will be able to do. If you want to get into others like IDPA or IPSC, you must get at minimum a 9mm. Glock is always a good bet because they are cheap and cheap to customize
Old March 5, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Strick

Steel Challenge matches are always a ton of fun with .22's
Old March 5, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Citizen Carrier

There's always the classic competition.

Bullseye. Odds are you can find a rimfire bullseye league near you without too much trouble. Here in Columbus, OH, There are four indoor ranges with bullseye leagues alone, along with an open rimfire bullseye league Ohio State University hosts at certain times of the year.

Bullseye isn't "run and gun" and all that, but is probably more challenging in many respects.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:35 PM   #6
OldShooter

I do a lot of .22lr blasting in preparation for and shooting in an indoor winter bullseye league near here. Other than that some of the clubs in the region have inter club shoots that include rimfire events. Check your area for clubs. In my state they are "fish & game associations" and "rod & gun clubs" etc.

Join a club, make friends, have fun.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
XDMike

Thanks for the info guys. Citizen, I live in columbus also, the only range I know about is the powder room, where are some other ones?
Old March 7, 2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Citizen Carrier

The Powder Room league is the one I'm currently shooting in. Our first match for this batch of 10 matches was last Wednesday. It costs $85 for a 10 match series.

You can come in this Wednesday, if you like, and get in on this league. I'd arrive at 5:30-5:45. The first relay starts at 6:00 PM. It is a simple matter for you and your wife to shoot two relays on any night to make up for missed match. You'll each need at least 60 rounds of ammunition each to shoot a relay of two slow fire (10 minutes for 10 shots x 2), two timed fire (5 shots in 20 seconds, twice, on two targets), and two rapid fire (5 shots in 10 seconds, twice, on two targets) stages. Actually, bring 100 rounds of ammo just to be safe. Your gun may jam or misfire, requiring you do to an "alibi fire". You only need a minimum of 2 magazines and the reloading is not hurried or "tactical". This is a game of accuracy, technique, and discipline, not two-handed tactical type shooting.

Last Wednesday I think we had 3 brand new shooters show up. A husband and wife, and an individual man. A good bunch of people there, about 25 or so in all.

There is also a bullseye league at the New Albany Shooting Range. New Albany also has also runs "CCW matches" or some such thing. Maybe other things besides. I don't shoot over there. Some people in the Powder Room league DO shoot in the New Albany league.

Blackwing Shooting Center up in Delaware also has a bullseye league on Thursday nights. The match director for those is also a competitor at the Powder Room. He is a doctor who teaches radiology at Ohio State U.

Ohio State University also runs a bullseye league. Frankly, this is the best damn deal in the entire city. It costs $3 a relay and you can shoot 3 relays each night. THAT is a whole lot of competition and allows you to bring up your shooting ability VERY fast. Unfortunately, the OSU league is only run in the spring/summer time frame, when the students are out of school and regular folks can use the range.

Coach also runs "stand alone" matches there for rimfire pistols. Two or three times a year (anytime of the year, not just summer) he runs "NRA Action Pistol" for rimfires. This is faster, two-handed, timed matches. Even more frequently than that, he runs "Rimfire Bowling Pin" speed matches. And finally, about twice a year he will host open "Olympic" type rimfire events. Like 50 meter "Free Pistol" (you could single load your guns to be in this), European "Sport Pistol" (your guns are fine for this), and some other one I can't remember right now. All three are fired the same day, and these are usually on a Friday/Saturday.

At one point 3 years ago, I was shooting in three leagues a week.

But beware! Next thing you know, you'll be putting red dots on your pistols. Then you'll probably think about other pistols. The Ruger, probably. Maybe the S&W M41. And then you'll start getting these weird urges, with no small measure of peer pressure from us, for exotic things with names like "Pardini".

It can be a slippery slope...
Old March 7, 2010, 09:38 AM   #9
XDMike

haha yea I looked at a model 41 at the westland mall show yesterday. It is a really nice piece.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Citizen Carrier

I probably looked at the same Model 41 yesterday too. We were probably in the building at the same time.

There was also a beautiful "Stoeger Pro-Series 95" .22, which is a copy of High Standard Victor model. At first glance, the price tag looked like $310.

I went back later and confirmed the guy just had crappy handwriting. It was $510...which isn't "terrible", if you are a "High Standard and all things related" kind of guy.

I was one for a short while, but I soon learned the way of the Ruger Mk II/III.

I'm heading over to the Powder Room here in a bit to do some practicing with my National Match M9 Beretta. I'm shooting 9mm for these 10 matches instead of .22, because I want to get some preparation started for the President's Match and the National Trophy Match at Camp Perry this summer. I'm also going to do some revolver practice in case I can make the Distinguished Revolver and Harry Reeves matches this summer too.

My goal is to appear on the next to the last page of rankings, as opposed to the first time I tried it a few years ago.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Citizen Carrier

Forgot to mention something about the Powder Room league, if you decide to come.

You do NOT have to be there in time for the first relay at 6:00 PM. A lot of people have a tough time getting off work, going home, getting the gear, and then fighting traffic to get there for the first relay. The 2nd relay starts at about 6:30. Sometimes, if there are a lot of shooters needing to do make-up (or if we just have a lot of shooters, period), we'll shoot a third relay at 7:00 or so.

Actually, a couple of things.

At some point during the 10 week matches they'll usually run a "clinic" for new shooters who want to get instruction on the fundamentals. In the last iteration, it was during the week off between our final 10th match and the banquet. For league members, it costs nothing.

Last edited by Citizen Carrier; March 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM.