The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1
gfen

Total newbie looking to start: What to buy?

Looking for some starting points (or, really, a complete roadmap, but one can't be picky)..

I'd like to start reloading .38spl, eventually moving to add .357mag and even further into .45ACP (I'm too lazy to pick up brass, and Wolf is keeping me satiated for now).

My wife has agreed to help purchase some things for the holidays, and I'm hoping I can get some guidance onto what I need, exactly.

Should I invest in a kit, or should I purchase components? I'd like to keep her expenditures to $200 or less, certainly no more than $250.

Is a progressive press preferred over a single stage? I understand a single stage is "safer" because its slower, but then I am lazy and the thought of minimal effort excites me. What is the extra advantage in safety to be had with a single stage? I presume if I'm going to go progressive, I'll have to buy components.

Speaking of which, what components are suggested or required? Keep in mind, I don't hunt so I never foresee having to load for throated rifle rounds.

I assume, at this point, that 200 rounds a week is probably about where I'll end up shooting. Even if its not entirely economically feasable, part of the appeal of reloading is the ability to make low recoilling practice rounds, both for my own long term enjoyment (at this point, planning on doing significant practice with my airweight CCW), and trying to help encourage the aforementioned wife into moving up from a .22.
Old October 24, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Start with books -

Start with books - or you may be able to get enough at the library but start with books.

In your price range I'd suggest starting with a Dillon Square Deal B - so looking at the Dillon catalogs and videos would be my suggested next step. I've seen used Square Deal B's in good shape at $200 but at that price it would be buy. At the $200 level it may be a choice of buying what fits the budget and moving up or spending a little more to buy something that you never improve on. Whatever you buy you will always find a use for it even if it is superseded as first line. If the budget is strict then a single stage press, a die set and scale may use up most of the budget. A case gauge, a way to trim and chamfer and so it goes.

You may decide after looking at the literature - anything from Phil Sharpe and Earl Naramore to the latest including at least browsing Handloader Magazine and the ads on the newstands - a web subscription is very very reasonable from Wolfe - that you prefer a single stage but really for handgunning a progressive makes a lot of sense. The Square Deal B is a complete unit but uses non-standard dies.

A scale is a mandatory accessory. I started with a Lyman 310 tong tool - when they competed with the original hammer it in Lee Loader and were cheap not expensive curiosities - and a scale myself. No way to trim and chamfer with a pocket knife. It doesn't take much to start but lots of things are nice. A funnel first maybe, eventually tumblers/vibrators are nice, primer flippers and then primer tube loaders are almost a necessity. It never ends.
Old October 24, 2005, 12:38 AM   #3
mtnboomer

I believe, and most here will agree with me, that a new reloader should start with a single stage press as it is less confusing and safer until the operator becomes more experienced. The Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit is a good place to start as it contains most of the items (except cases, powder, primer and dies) that you will need to start reloading. This kit can be found on e-Bay and Gunbroker.com for less than $100.00. Lee dies are some of the best and least expensive on the market...
http://www.leeprecision.com/

You should have AT LEAST 3 loading manuals to start and more as you get into loading. The Lyman #48 Reloading Handbook and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (it comes in the Anniversary Reloading Kit) should be two of the first. Also a visit to this site will be of great value... http://www.reload-nrma.com/

As for components, MidwayUSA, Cheaper-Than-Dirt, Cabela's, Natchez Shooter's Supply and others can be found on the internet with a minimum of searching.

BTW...a steel-framed, 4-inch barreled .38 Special with light target loads would probably just tickle wifey to death!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old October 24, 2005, 02:08 AM   #4
kcoop9999

mtnboomer came up with a pretty good list of suppliers! Start with the basics and always remember safety is rule #1. Get a good reputable manual and follow their directions closely. I have been reloading for over 20 years and still always double check each step!! The lee starter kit is a great way to go for the budget minded, their products are well made, well priced and garaunteed. RCBS also sells kits named Ammo-Crafter that include most of the basic equiptment that is top notch but a little more expensive. Supplies can be purchased locally or mail-ordered. I buy quite a few products from Natchez Shooter's Supply and Midway-USA. I live in Iowa and if I order from Midway, it is usually delivered in two to three days. That's almost faster than I can drive to Columbia,MO and back! They have fast and courteous service! You didn't mention if you attend gun shows or not- but you can often find one or more dealers who are selling the equiptment or supplies you are looking for at competitive prices, it pays to shop around! As far as minimal effort- in reloading you get back what you put into it! And always be aware-- DON'T GET LAZY ABOUT SAFETY! nothing ruins an enjoyable hobby like an emergency call or a trip to the emergency room!! Good luck and have fun!!
Old October 24, 2005, 08:27 AM   #5
44-40

If all you are going to reload is handgun rounds I would buy a lee progressive 1000 in 38/357,( yes the same set up with slight adjustment will load 38 or 357 ) and later buy a shell plate carrier and shell plate for the 45. these machines come ready to load shells for well under $200 and you can load them one at a time if you wish one helluva lot faster than a single stage.Later if you want you can add a case collator and really load some shells. You will need a loading book to determine your loads. I prefer to use cast bullets for most shooting to keep the cost down, our local sporting goods store carries them,
Good luck
Old October 24, 2005, 09:37 AM   #6
gb_in_ga

I ordered the following from Midway USA a couple of months ago, got it delivered right at $124:

Lee Handpress Kit (came with ram primer & case lube)
Lee 3 die kit for .38 Spl/.357 Mag
Lee powder scale
Lee powder funnel
Lee chamfer tool
Lee primer pocket cleaner
Lee #1 shell holder (redundant, one was already in the die kit)
Redding case lube pad
RCBS powder trickler
2 Hornady 50 round shell blocks
1 book/1 caliber manual for .38 Special
1 book/1 caliber manual for .357 Magnum

To this I would suggest adding a couple of comprehensive reloading manuals -- I didn't get them because I already knew the ropes -- I used to reload quite a bit as a teenager, using my father's equipment.

You should be able to get all of the above and stay well within budget.

Also, I'd suggest getting a powder measure of some sort, a case gauge or set of calipers, and a case trimmer. None of these are really necessary when just starting out. If you keep your reloading to just mild .38's, you might not ever need the calipers and case trimmer. You will eventually want to get a powder measure, as weighing each individual charge with your powder scale is time consuming.

Of course, you will still need to get cases (which I'll assume that you already have on-hand), primers, powder and bullets. Bullets can be ordered online, but since they are heavy they'll cost you for shipping. You can also order primers and powder online, but there is an extra $20 hazardous materials shipping fee that gets tacked on to those -- OUCH! You might want to see if you can find a local source for those.
Old October 24, 2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Rico567

I agree with what "mtnboomer" and others have recommended, since you are new to the game.

1) Buy a single-stage press to start; the kits are generally a good way to get the other basic accessories you need.

2) Buy at least one commercial manual: Speer, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, ABCs of Reloading, etc., and read it thoroughly until you think you have an understanding of the various stages in reloading.

3) Have patience and take your time starting out.

If I have to single out a single thing to emphasize, never put powder in a case without checking the weight with a powder scale. Such a powder charge, to start, should never be more than the starting load given in a reliable commercial manual or other data published by powder manufacturers.
Reloading, like using a chain saw, can be a productive and rewarding activity if done knowledgeably and safely. If not, it can turn unpleasant very quickly, and with radical consequences.

- Mark Twain
Old October 24, 2005, 04:44 PM   #8
azredhawk44

Be Wary Of Lee Products!!!!

I started off reloading on a shoestring budget. I got the best single stage press I could afford ( A RCBS), an inexpensive yet reliable Lee 100gr powder scale, and an inexpensive Lee powder throw.

The scale was fine, but it is made mostly of metal and can be recalibrated to accomodate the expansion of the plastic over time.

The powder throw was JUNK. I used it for about 1500 rounds of various powders (Unique, Win231, Win296, H110, Reloader15) and one day after double checking a load, I found that the powder throw was WAY off.

After trying to troubleshoot it, I tore the thing apart and found the rubber elastomer bushing that "cuts" each charge to be torn all to heck.

Bottom line: stay away from anything that is plastic for your powder throw. I went online and bought an RCBS powder throw at Midway for about $60.

Also, always verify any load you are going to put in a cartridge with a second source. Typos can and do happen, even in loading manuals.
Old October 24, 2005, 09:52 PM   #9
Ben Shepherd

Just a touch over your budget, but I HIGHLY RECCOMEND an RCBS rockchucer kit, plus two other manuals, at least. That press will outlast your grandkids.

As others have noted-some Lee products aren't so good-some are just fine. But this isn't something you need to deal with on top of all you need to learn anyway.

ABOVE ALL: ANY QUESTIONS NO MATTER HOW STUPID THEY MAY SEEM-ASK!! we'd rather answer 15-20(or 700, if that's what it takes) mundane questions than see you hurt your gun and/or yourself.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 25, 2005, 07:18 AM   #10
zimm

All good advice above. Lee is the best budget stuff. Dillon is the best if you can afford it. My $20 LEE powder measure works great so far- I don't have 1500 rounds through it yet. Even so, if beat using a teaspoon to get powder in the pan. Measure every charge and you'll be fine. If you don't go with a measure, the LEE loading scoops might work good with a scale (the little yellow plastic scoops).

I like the Lyman reloading manual- it doesn't bias towards one brand of powder or primers over another. Although the how-to section is all Lyman equipment- but the info still applies to all reloading.

I highly recommend a digital scale, worth the $. I bought an RCBS on sale from Midway.

After you reload for a while, you can figure out if it's worth it to invest in the square deal "B", so you get a bullet everytime you pull the handle.

As for .38 special target loads- look into semi-wadcutter or full wadcutter cast bullets and loads. Very cheap, fun to shoot, and they make nice perfect holes in the targets.
Old October 26, 2005, 08:33 PM   #11
gfen

I've been reading this thread with each new post and thinking about what's within.

Believe me, I've ignored no advice.

Then I came through and edited out like 10 paragraphs about the Lee units and replaced it with....

With a $25 off from Midway coupon and an ongoign sale, I can get the Rockchucker for $200. On the other hand, the Lee Anniversery is $80, and their two turret presses are $90 and $92. All three are non-progressive presses, and I'm hard pressed to find why the RCBS is over 2x the price of the other models.

So, tell me, honestly, which oen do I want? Its come to this. Be that helpful guy who I wish I had available to just take me by the hand and say, "here, this one."

Rockchucker, $205:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=646599

Lee Anniversery, $78:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810

Lee 3 Hole, $85:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=220870

Lee 4 Hole, $91:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=622290

The last two require a manual in addition to consumables and dies. Is the RCBS truly worth the price, or am I paying for the name? Seems like the Lee turret units cost more because they're turret presses, which means...? I mean, all things considered, the Lee might be replaced by a Lee progessive press down the line, the Rockchucker adapted with a piggyback. Looking at a long term purchase, is the RCBS Piggyback 4 progressive unit superior than say the Lee Loadmaster Progressive (which would be an entirely seperat press from the Lee single stage, versus the RCBS unit combined in one).

Thanks to all for bearing with me...Seriously, these questions are annoying even me, so I'm exceptionaly thankful for having a resource like this to call on.

Other.. One other very important question, WRT safety: Where do you folks store your powder? I live in a townhouse with no shed or anything outback. I planned on building a bench in my garage, but is there going to be a safety concern if I lock the powder in a cabinet? We also vent the dryer into the garage, so it does get very humid in there for an hour or so a couple times a week.

Last edited by gfen; October 26, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old October 26, 2005, 10:15 PM   #12
LHB1

gfen,
If you want "cheap", try Lee (at your own risk). Some people like Lee products. I DON'T!

If you want "long lasting quality products", buy RCBS, Hornady, or Redding. Their dies and presses have served me well for 40 years.

That's as short and simple as I can make it. Others may have different opinions but that's mine. Make your choice and go for it.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old October 26, 2005, 11:03 PM   #13
rwilson452

Which Press??

I have owned and/or used. Several presses. including RCBS Hornaday Dillon and Lee.

I used a Lee turret press I got very used and used it for years. When I got into shooting more (IPSC) I bought a Lee LoadMaster. The Lee turret Can be set up progressive. If I was doing mostly pistol stuff I would opt for the 4 hole version and get a separate Lee Factory crimp die. The KISS principle applies here. Dillon 550b is a great press and has a rock solid warrentee. The RCBS Rockcrusher is a really great single stage press. The Lee Loadmaster is a hard press to set up originally but when set up correctly is a great press. I didn't like the honaday press I had. At present I own two presses. the Lee loadmaster and the Lee Classic Cast. I got Classic cast last year for doing rifle load development. I like an "O" press for that function and I like the room for my ham fisted hands. IF I was just starting and was intent on pistol stuff. I would start with the Lee 4 hole turret. and start without using the progressive function until I was confident I was doing it all right. When starting out and going directly to progressive It's very easy to miss something and mess up. AS for strength I really think the classic cast out does the rockcrusher in that department. Think on it, the Classic cast was developed with the 50BMG in mind.
Old October 26, 2005, 11:56 PM   #14
bjmanersr

Don't let any body tell you not to buy lee

There are better for a LOT more money but the lee kit is definately the way to go for a beginner.Just buy some books first and READ_READ_READ
Old October 27, 2005, 12:29 AM   #15
gfen

I don't think I understand what a multiple hole turret press actually is...
Old October 27, 2005, 12:36 AM   #16
gfen

Y'know..I never thought, "Hey, why not look at a MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE?!"

So, here I am. And I've just learned that a turret press isn't the same as a single stage press. I sort of figured you had single stage, and progressive.
Old October 27, 2005, 01:49 AM   #17
Mike T

Read books on reloading and understand the principles behind all the terms and actions you'll be taking. I started on a Dillon 550B which is a turret press that can be run like a single stage until you decide you wish to go faster. If you lack patience then I would suggest you stay with single stage. I had great success with this and have saved the trouble of having to buy another press so soon after starting reloading. Another great source of information is www.brianenos.com, great info on reloading & practical shooting. If you do decide to go with a Dillon Brian can sell you everything at less than you'll pay directly through Dillon.
Old October 27, 2005, 05:21 AM   #18
WESHOOT2

Safety glasses.
Old October 30, 2005, 04:09 PM   #19
Kayser

My suggestion : Start with 45 ACP first. It's far more cost effective than 38spl, and, it's a far lower pressure round than 357mag, so it's about as 'safe' as you can get for starters. Plus, everyone and their grandma loads 45 acp, so you've got a wealth of info out there (plus gun show support). Many won't reload 38spl because of the cost.

As for equipment, I'll list the must-haves. I started about 10 months ago, and here's the stuff that I use every time:

- Lee Anniversary press. Simple, cheap as heck, and reliable.
- RCBS 502 powder scale. Just a notch above the absolute cheapest scale you can get. Works great.
- Redding powder trickler. Cannot stress this one enough. A powder trickler is your greatest buddy.
- Lee auto-prime. The hand-held job.
- Spend the money on good calipers. Get yourself a Starrett. Probably the one thing you need as a beginner that should be "high quality".
- Get yourself a Lee 4-die (the 4th being the factory crimp die) set.
- Misc supplies : Some sizing lube and a rolling pad. A cheap plastic loading tray. A cheap powder funnel.

That's pretty much it. I also highly recommend Midway (www.midwayusa.com). They're fast, they have everything, with darn good prices. They'll set you up.