The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
whippoorwill

Sig 1911 C3 - Send it Back?

I recently purchased a new in box Sig Sauer 1911 C3 from my LGS (had them order it for me). I have not yet fired it. As the photos show, the rear of the slide does not align with the rear of the frame. I can grip the pistol in my left hand, and by using just the index finger on my right hand I can easily push the slide back so that it aligns with the frame. It requires no effort to do this. Of course, I can't rack the slide all the way back in this manner. I'm rather disappointed, as the slide and frame on all of my other current 1911s are in alignment (Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber). This is my first Sig Sauer pistol. Otherwise, it seems very nice.

I'd like to hear your opinion, especially from 1911 owners. Would you ignore it? Contact Sig customer service? I realize that it probably won't affect the function of the pistol, but I dislike seeing it this way, especially considering the cost. I tend to like things as near perfect as possible when new. Anyway, thanks for your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIG A.jpg (239.4 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg SIG B.jpg (203.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg SIG C.jpg (240.0 KB, 211 views)
Old September 18, 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
rduckwor

I would call them and see what they say. While I'm not sure it is a issue in terms of function or safety, it is unattractive on a 1911.

Good luck.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Creeper

Quote:
I can grip the pistol in my left hand, and by using just the index finger on my right hand I can easily push the slide back so that it aligns with the frame. It requires no effort to do this.
The alignment is more a cosmetic issue than a mechanical one, and I've seen this quite often (sometimes, to a much greater degree) on other Sig Sauer guns like P220s and P226s... but what concerns me is the statement I've quoted.

No effort at all... no recoil spring resistance at all? That's... something where I'm going to have to take apart a 1911, stare at the linkage and timing for awhile, and figure out how that's possible. I have a terrible memory these days and need to "refresh".

C
Old September 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
mrgoodwrench76

I have 2 C3's purchased in the last 2 years and neither of them have this issue. I would contact Sig and do just as you questioned, send it back. I'm sure they will be happy to remedy your problem.

It would be appreciated if you could keep us informed of your experience with Sig customer service.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'm sure they will be happy to remedy your problem.
We shall see...
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 18, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
comn-cents

Why don't you try shooting it?
Old September 18, 2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Micahweeks

I have a 1911 that looks like that, but it is a reliable sidearm. My guess is it is just cosmetic. Doesn't bother me if it works.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #8
RsqVet

I don't see an issue there other than cosmetic, so I can not blame Sig if they don't do much.

I can't say how often you see that on mid to lower end 1911's though I have seen a few like that, I can also say I have not seen one like that on a high end gun.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Shoot45's

Usually things like that are just cosmetics.
If it's reliable I would keep it.
Go ahead and try it.
Whether you shoot it or not doesn't matter.
They will still fix this issue if you want.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:47 AM   #10
TacticalDefense1911

Not an uncommon thing in a production gun. Heck, I've got a Springfield TRP that the slide does not line up with the frame.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
dgludwig

I've got a SIG 1911 Model TTT that's not quite perfect in terms of slide to frame alignment (actually, the slide on mine protrudes-barely-to the rear, the opposite direction from the op's). The "protrusion" is barely noticable (until you first spot it ) and the pistol functions perfectly and is very accurate. In my view, it's a minor cosmetic issue and, so long as the pistol functions correctly, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
They will still fix this issue if you want.
I honestly have my doubts.

For kicks and giggles I'd love the OP to call SIG and see what they say. My experience in the past with SIG CS is that unless it's causing a malfunction they're not too eager to take it back.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
acmagnum1

I would send it back and give Sig a chance to address it. Fit and finish is important to me, I'm sure it was not a cheap gun. These companies have to be made to understand that we the consumer are not going to continue to pay high prices for guns that are not up to par. Quality control should be there number one concern. Stop mass producing crap. I have some older W/German Sigs, that the fit and finish is fantastic. They will never match the quality of the older Sigs. IMHO.
Sig P232 Stainless 380 ACP
Old September 20, 2012, 05:54 PM   #14
whippoorwill

Update

I sent an email to Sig customer service explaining the situation... along with photos showing the slide/frame fit. I received the following email back from the Sig representative:

Quote:
I have sent your photos to the gunsmith and he has found them to be in specs for the 1911 pistols. At this time he does not feel the gun needs to come in. please let me know if you have any questions.
Tunnelrat... it appears that you were correct regarding Sig customer service.

acmagnum1... I agree with you regarding fit and finish, and no, it was not an inexpensive pistol. But, it appears that Sig considers the fit acceptable.

Any further advice/suggestions? Do you suppose Sig would do the work if I were willing to pay for it? Alternatively, is it something a local gunsmith could correct if knowledgeable about 1911s? Thanks again for the comments.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Well at this point I would shoot the thing. Unless it has an issue tbh I would leave it as is.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
wayneinFL

My Sig P250 is the same way.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
drail

Boy, you consumers are getting so picky nowadays. What are us poor manufacturers gwanna do? Seriously though, that ain't right but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. This is a mass produced firearm. It's not built for looks. They're not going to handfit the parts for you, labor is too costly now. Wilson Combat worries about this stuff but SIG does not. I would shoot it until the finish is worn off and THEN fit the slide to the frame and have it refinished. By that time you'll KNOW if it's a keeper or not. Any half decent pistolsmith can fix this if you want to invest in a complete refinish. I would only fix that type of problem if the customer was sending the gun off to be refinished. It takes about 10 minutes with a file and some sanding. If the factories were to do this the gun would cost you a couple of grand, just like Wilson and Brown and Baer.

Last edited by drail; September 20, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

If you aren't happy, see what your local gun shop will do for you. Otherwise since Sig claims it is in spec, go shoot it and see how it performs.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:32 PM   #19
ripnbst

You could always sell it for what you paid for it and go buy another one. Inspect it before signing the paperwork. You can refuse the gun all you want. I'm sure your LGS would have no problem selling it.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:54 PM   #20
polyphemus

Criticizing manufacturers gets me in trouble here so perish the thought,this issue
is definitely not cosmetic,when the slide goes into battery it pushes the barrel
and the link cams it up and locks it.Lock is the operative word the whole thing is
locked there should not be any any play.That some 1911s with this defect work
anyway is a tribute to Mr Browning's design brilliancy.Send it back man or maybe
why did you buy it in the firs t place?
Old September 20, 2012, 09:05 PM   #21
745SW

Most makers, IMO and experience, would not consider that to be a defect. When the appearance of firearm is very important to you it’s best not to buy site unseen. This type of thing varies with maker and time. Decades ago I would not buy a Colt site unseen because of the variations of the metal work. Colt’s bluing has been known to be among the best but the symmetry of metal left much to be desired.

I’ve had cosmetic issues with US firearms as well as a German made Sig and Walther. The Sig 220 was a very early version with Euro mag release import by a small importer with a dig on the top of the slide otherwise fit finish and function were fine. This could have occurred after manufacture. No burring of the frame rail area as noted by some late versions. The Walther P5, believe it or not, was not symmetrical on the left side toward the muzzle on the slide compared to the right side. A fairly easy fix because it only involved some metal removal on the left but the cold bluing touchup is not so great. Another P5 bought at the same time/place is perfect. My last bought new S&W 745 has the same issue as the OP and some other minor cosmetic issues and functions fine.

The Walther and S&W have one thing in common. They were among the last produced.

Last edited by 745SW; September 20, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:03 PM   #22
TheGunGuy

I hate to say this.. but did you buy the gun to shoot or as a collector's item? Not a single one of my SIGs slides line perfectly with the frame... Heck, I just got an H&K P2000 and it is the same way. Shoots just fine and I trust my life to any of them. If you wanted a museum piece, you shoulda paid more. Just my opinion. BTW... If it makes a difference, I do have about $6K in SIG pistols alone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old September 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #23
rodfac

Call Sig...if it isn't right, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't fix it, and on their dime too. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:00 PM   #24
MLeake

It may not be pretty, but this is a production gun, not a custom or even semi-custom. I am not surprised that if it works, SIG does not wish to refinish it.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Denezin

Field strip it and check the barrel link. cycle it and see if it does anything strange with lets say orange plastic training rounds. if it binds or there is barrel hood movement then something isnt right. if not then its just cosmetic prolly something that slipped through. Good luck