The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2005, 07:11 PM   #1
mike2q

357 sig loading

I'm trying to load some 124gr plated westcoast bullets into my 357 sig. I use RCBS dies and a hornady press. Question is that when I seat the bullet to proper depth the bullet doesn't get a good crimp. The only I get a good crimp is if the bullet is about 2mm too long to fit in the mag. I was told by my local gun shop that the bullets are not shaped properly for 357 sig. But on 357 sig petes site he claim's to use westcoast bullets all the time because as they are .3555 and not .355 that they work better. Are my dies out of spec or do I need a second roller crimper die? What am I doing wrong? The Seater die is down as far as it will go.
Old August 4, 2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

It could be that WC changed the bullet profile...

I use rem 115 JHP's and have never had a problem. Good luck!
Old August 5, 2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Try Speer

I load with Speer's 125 grain FMJ designed for the 357 Sig. If you buy them in the 600 piece bulk pack from Midway or Natchez when they're on sale your load only come out a penny and half more than using plated bullets. Speer says you can push these to 1400+ FPS. I've chronoed some loads a bit above that without signs of over pressure.
I've also used Speer's 125 & 147 grain hollow points with good success. More expensive but a very good bullet.
Take Care
Old August 5, 2005, 06:28 PM   #4
k in AR

I don't know if this applies to your issue, but a couple of years back I got a set of RCBS 357 Sig dies. I just couldn't get a good crimp, and even if it looked like I did, the pull weight was really weak. I contacted RCBS and they sent me a slightly smaller Expander Ball. Problem solved.
BTW: RCBS was really professional and helpful. If all else fails contact their customer service as they have probably seen just about everything that can bug a reloader.
Old August 5, 2005, 06:30 PM   #5
renaissance7697

.357 Sig & West Coast

The problem is NOT .3555 but the bullet shape.
I have used West Coast bullets in .357 Sig successfully, but the bullet has to be the right shape!
I just went to West Coast's Web site ( now accurabullet) but they seem to be down. I do recall that West Coast was going out of business (and then that it was sold to someone else) The reason I was going to the site was to try to find the specific West Coast Bullet I used successfully in .357 Sig -- couldn't do it! ...............But all that aside:

Basically, the bullet has to have a relatively long bearing shank (surface) compared to the total bullet length.
Usually a: flat point, truncated Cone, or SWC .

The neck of the .357 Sig is short, and it needs for the bullet to take advantage of all the neck it can ( to not slide in the case ), without sticking too far out of the case.
The traditional 9mm round nose (especially those intended for .38 Super) won't do it.
Whoever you buy from, specify that is is for .357Sig and they will point you to the right shape. Most manufactures have a bullet specifically designed for this cartridge.

[email protected]
Old August 5, 2005, 06:34 PM   #6
Zekewolf

I agree with the others that bullet shape is probably the culprit; however, if you're trying to use a roll crimp on a non-cannelured bullet, then you're whistling in the wind. You need a cannelure to correctly impart a roll crimp on a bullet.
Old August 7, 2005, 12:53 PM   #7
mike2q

Hey thanks guys! I'm going to try the Spear bullets or I might try calling Berrys mfg co. They had some flatnose's .356. Maybe that will work.
Old August 13, 2005, 12:29 AM   #8
enstorm

Montana Gold makes a flat point at 125 grains especially for the 357 Sig that seems to be an excellent product at a good price, although I haven't shot more than a few hundred of them. I paid $29.50 for 500 at the local shop and you can order direct from Montana Gold, too. I agree with the others that a standard 9mm bullet just doesn't quite work because of its dimensions, and that is most likely causing your problem. In fact, this same issue is, I believe, the reason that the developers of the round were forced to design a bullet just for this cartridge. You really need to use a bullet designed specifically for the 357 Sig for reliable results. To date, it seems the options are pretty much the Montana Golds and the Speer 125 Gold Dots, which reload quite nicely. If anybody has found a real accurate load, especially for the Gold Dots, let us know. I know I've had some trouble that way.
Old August 20, 2005, 12:21 AM   #9
Kaliburz

The Montana Gold website says the 357 Sig round is backordered....
Old November 3, 2005, 03:42 PM   #10
skeet47

357 sig bullets

Berry's 357 125 fp works perfect for the sig.
Old November 4, 2005, 07:08 AM   #11
caz223

I've had good luck with rainier 124 hollow point or flat point.
That, and carbide dillon dies with a lee FC die in the 4th station.
Ooh, and hornady one shot.