The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2012, 10:37 AM   #51
DASHZNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
Then you say you want to bump UP the load.
Then you thank the posters for what you have learned.
Sorry, I don't think you have learned anything.
Keep your insurance paid up and, please, don't shoot near me. I'm allergic to flying metal parts.
Hey Bud... Im having fun with it. And if I bump it ip its only .1 of a grain which is nothing really. Its only a gun I paid $600 for a while back so if i break it, big deal! Finally, relax.. if you dont have anything nice to say, move on!

DASHZNT
Old December 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #52
Unclenick
Staff

Rifleman1776,

It's pretty clear from the syntax that he left the word 'no' out of his sentence by mistake. " There was signs of extreme pressure at all." was meant to be "There were no signs of extreme pressure at all."

DASHZNT,

Because you are using a fast powder, you have a high peak pressure that drops quickly as the bullet moves toward the muzzle, where a slower powder would have a lower peak pressure, but sustain pressure and acceleration down the barrel better to get you to the same final velocity with less stress on the gun. QuickLOAD is calculating 8.9 grains of TightGroup peaks at about 41,000 psi. Going to 9.6 grains of Power Pistol or to 13.6 grains of 2400 should give you the exact same velocity at only 22,000 psi and 20,000 psi peak pressures, respectively. That's about half the peak pressure of the TightGroup, so it is going to be a lot easier on the gun. Plus it leaves you peak pressure headroom to spare, which you can use to load up to higher velocity and energy. Alliant 300-MP should get you even more. With the right powder choices you can gain 20-30% in velocity and 40-70% in muzzle energy and still be at lower peak pressure than you have now.

mwells72774,

The load should get more velocity from a rifle's longer barrel, but for the same reasons outlined above, if you want to be in the velocity range that load would produce in your rifle, it would be better to use Power Pistol or 2400 just to keep from beating up on the gun. 300-MP would give still more velocity, but needs to be operated at higher pressure to burn well. I would not run it at under 30,000 psi.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 5, 2012, 12:55 PM   #53
DASHZNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Rifleman1776,

It's pretty clear from the syntax that he left the word 'no' out of his sentence by mistake. " There was signs of extreme pressure at all." was meant to be "There were no signs of extreme pressure at all."

DASHZNT,

Because you are using a fast powder, you have a high peak pressure that drops quickly as the bullet moves toward the muzzle, where a slower powder would have a lower peak pressure, but sustain pressure and acceleration down the barrel better to get you to the same final velocity with less stress on the gun. QuickLOAD is calculating 8.9 grains of TightGroup peaks at about 41,000 psi. Going to 9.6 grains of Power Pistol or to 13.6 grains of 2400 should give you the exact same velocity at only 22,000 psi and 20,000 psi peak pressures, respectively. That's about half the peak pressure of the TightGroup, so it is going to be a lot easier on the gun. Plus it leaves you peak pressure headroom to spare, which you can use to load up to higher velocity and energy. Alliant 300-MP should get you even more. With the right powder choices you can gain 20-30% in velocity and 40-70% in muzzle energy and still be at lower peak pressure than you have now.

mwells72774,

The load should get more velocity from a rifle's longer barrel, but for the same reasons outlined above, if you want to be in the velocity range that load would produce in your rifle, it would be better to use Power Pistol or 2400 just to keep from beating up on the gun. 300-MP would give still more velocity, but needs to be operated at higher pressure to burn well. I would not run it at under 30,000 psi.
Rifleman-

That is great information to know. I have a pound of 2400 here Ive never used. Ill have to load some up and see how they perform. Im lretty happy with these loads, but if I can increase the load by those number and have less stress on the firearm, its a no brainer!!

What info should I go from? The Hornady book does not have 2400 in their recipes and the Lyman book doesnt use the 300gr XTPs in theirs either? Everyone has their own recipe but what is recommended? Obviously, my goal is max fps and devastation, now with less stress if possible... Thank You.

DASHZNT
Old December 5, 2012, 01:11 PM   #54
nate45

H-110/Win 296 and Alliant's relatively new 300-MP(Magnum Pistol) and perhaps Lil Gun are considered the best powders for a heavy weight bullet in the .44 Magnum, by most people. After that then 2400. All other pistol powders that burn faster than 2400, are continually less ideal, the faster burning they are.

Also the slower burning powders fill the case better, giving more consistent ignition, with less pressure. Its also impossible to double charge a case with the slow powders, because they will over flow. You could easily put a double charge of some of the fast burning powders in a case and not notice.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:21 PM   #55
Xfire68

I think those that are telling you to abandon Tightgroup with those hot loads and heavy bullets are right.

That powder is just to fast for that bullet weight. H110, LiL'Gun and WIN 296 are much better options.

The Lyman or Hornady manuals don't even list Tightgroup with jacketed bullets and the lead load that Hornady lists max out at 6.6g of tightgroup using a 240g lead bullet.

I know that published max data is normally safe but, your well over that at 9+ grains using 300g bullets.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:53 PM   #56
DASHZNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
I think those that are telling you to abandon Tightgroup with those hot loads and heavy bullets are right.

That powder is just to fast for that bullet weight. H110, LiL'Gun and WIN 296 are much better options.

The Lyman or Hornady manuals don't even list Tightgroup with jacketed bullets and the lead load that Hornady lists max out at 6.6g of tightgroup using a 240g lead bullet.

I know that published max data is normally safe but, your well over that at 9+ grains using 300g bullets.
Ok, its worth a try... itll be hard for me to notice without a guage of some sort but we'll see what happens... Thanx.

DASHZNT
Old December 6, 2012, 07:34 PM   #57
Unclenick
Staff

The Hornady manual says at 1.600" COL (Hornady case, Winchester WLP primer) to use 14.8 grains of 2400 as the starting load and 17.1 grains max. I spotted some warmer loads, but they all proved to be seated out to use the lower cannelure, so they wouldn't be safe in the smaller space.

BTW, that was me posting earlier, not Rifleman. I merely addressed my first remark to Rifleman.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle