The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2014, 03:59 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Does your gun get hot after shooting?

I ask this as, when I owned my Glock, I would shoot anything between 100 to 300 rounds during the course of a range visit and it was fine.

Last week, I returned to the range with my SP-01. I shot 150 rounds, in total, having mainly gone to fire .22LR.

I did some accuracy shooting, taking my time between shots. Then, for the last couple of mags, I just went for it, seeing how closely I could get the groups whilst shooting as fast as I could squeeze the trigger. As it happens although the grouping was not too bad mostly in the "A" zone of a mini-comstock target.

That is not the issue, though. The problem is that the SP-01's frame was so hot it was bordering on painful to touch. I could not comfortably maintain my grip where my support hand's thumb runs along the frame, parralel to the slide and slide release.
With the G19, however hot the slide was, I could still hold the gun properly!!

Do you ever get this with your gun?
Is this one of the concessions of steel over plastic?

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; July 24, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:15 AM   #2
RX-79G

I thought an SP01 was aluminum. Aluminum transmits heat well - that's why we use it for fry pans.

I've owned the notoriously hot P7s, and never really thought the heat buildup in any gun was too bad. CZs may have more barrel to slide and slide to frame contact to transmit heat than some other designs, but this is the first time I've heard a complaint about heat coming off the frame.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

The SP-01 has several versions: the Tactical, Phantom and just plain SP-01. Some are ploymer framed, some alloy.

I have the last. It is all steel.

Ammo was Fiocchi 124gr FMJs.
Old July 24, 2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Guv

Deleted by Guv
Old July 24, 2014, 06:26 AM   #5
marine6680

If you run a gun... Any gun, fast, you will get heating.

All my pistols get warm, some get very warm to hot. Depends on how fast I shoot and the construction of the gun.

Poly framed guns don't transmit the heat as well so they can feel cooler. A CZ with its lower slide to frame fit and full length rails makes for a lot of heat transfer.

I have shot ARs fast enough to start burning the oil off the outside of the barrel... Actually I have done it on many occasions. My new Vz 58 gets blisteringly hot after a couple mags, but it vents the hot gas from the piston into the handgaurd.

Slow down your shooting if you get the pistol too hot. I like to leave actions locked open to aid cooling while I clean up and get ready to leave the range, and pack my guns away last if possible, so they have some time to cool a bit.
Old July 24, 2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Ibmikey

So you expected the pistol to become cooler while having controlled explosions occurring on a regular basis? I shoot my AR's until they look like a burning building, set it aside and shoot a different one while the first is cooling. Burning powder equals heat...friction of the bullet traveling down the barrel creates more heat...put on a glove if it bothers you.
Old July 24, 2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Marty8613

I almost made the mistake of loading and holstering my new to me carry revolver after 70 rounds at the range. That sure would have burned my ... since I carry S.O.B.

Good thing I noticed it was just a bit hot.

We had two other guns to shoot, so just opened the cylinder and let it cool on the bench.

This is my only gun with no plastic at all.
Old July 24, 2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
So you expected the pistol to become cooler while having controlled explosions occurring on a regular basis?
If all you have is sarcasm to post, please feel free not to post....

What I was expecting was a gun, being based on a combat/service pistol such as the CZ75, not to become so hot it is not possible to hold it comfortably after two mags of rapid firing. If gloves were that necessary, perhaps they should have come included...

Quote:
Poly framed guns don't transmit the heat as well so they can feel cooler. A CZ with its lower slide to frame fit and full length rails makes for a lot of heat transfer.
I will say this one goes the poly-frame crowd as I could put rounds upon rounds through my Glock and, whilst the slide was very hot, the frame was never uncomfortable to touch...

Quote:
Slow down your shooting if you get the pistol too hot. I like to leave actions locked open to aid cooling while I clean up and get ready to leave the range, and pack my guns away last if possible, so they have some time to cool a bit.
Fortunately my little excess was only the last couple of mags, so I could just leave it be after that, lying on the bench.

What bothered me is that these are designed for combat and are issued as such. They are also used as race guns. In those situations, users may not have the luxury of setting it down...
Old July 24, 2014, 07:59 AM   #9
kraigwy

I shoot a lot of action style pistol matches, using both my Gold Cup and Beretta (depending on the course of fire).

After you fire a stage, before leaving the line you of course are to "show clear" drop the mag and lock the slide back to show the RO your gun is clear.

Having grown up and being trained with the 1911s I put the palm of my left hand over the top of the slide, pushing it back and engaging the slide lock with the thumb of my shooting hand.

Quite simple really, except when I transition to the Beretta, to show clear, I put the palm of my left hand over the slide and promptly burn the crap out of my hand with the '92s exposed barrel.

So yes, my gun gets hot during shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 24, 2014, 08:12 AM   #10
DA/SA Fan

I typically run about 150 -200 rounds through my alloy framed TriStar T-120 in an hour session. Hasn't gotten too hot to handle, but pretty warm after a couple full rapid fire mags.

"Happiness is a warm gun"
Old July 24, 2014, 08:13 AM   #11
mete

Burning powder creates heat ? Duh !
Notorious P 7 ? I've had mine since they first came out and NEVER had a heat problem even in many an IPSC match. I looked into this and found it just had to do with how you held your gun and how big your hand was !
Old July 24, 2014, 08:15 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
What bothered me is that these are designed for combat and are issued as such. They are also used as race guns. In those situations, users may not have the luxury of setting it down...
If you're doing rapid mag dumps with a pistol in "combat", the fact that it's getting warm is the least of your problems. I'd rather be burned than dead.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 24, 2014, 08:15 AM   #13
Onward Allusion

Aside from the material constant for heat transfer, there is the amount of heat being transmitted. HOW FAST WERE YOU SHOOTING THE CZ? The faster you shoot, the hotter it gets.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Don P

James, I have shot ICORE with a variety of revolvers. Ruger GP-100, S&W 686, Colt Python. All of them after a 30-40 round stage and 35-50 seconds of shooting will have a cylinder that is very hot to the touch. The top strap will be hot to the touch and remember Fiocchi is a hot ammo in my opinion.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:33 AM   #15
marine6680

To get it hot enough to hurt... You were dumping rounds very quickly. Doing that after a range session in which you already fired many rounds and had warmed up the parts pretty well and evenly... That speeds the heating process. A gun that is warmed through from lots of shooting will get hot quick after a couple mag dumps.

Firing a couple mags quick through a cold gun usually won't be too hot to hold. Three or four would be pretty hot most likely though.

As far as combat... It is a defensive arm or a backup. Your load out for it would be three mags most likely. So if you need to fire all three mags quickly and it gets too hot to hold, you are already in a bad situation. Out of ammo and in a serious fight... Better be finding a rifle most riki tik.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:39 AM   #16
g.willikers

During the winter having something warm in your hands could be an added bonus.
Old July 24, 2014, 01:21 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
Combat: not having been there myself, but based on what I've read and learned from friends who have "seen the bear," I think that pistols are most frequently a BACKUP weapon, and if actually used against opponents, such engagements seldom entail the rapid use of many magazines.

(One Navy SEAL I talked with said that given the choice of a handgun or an extra canteen, he might sometimes take the extra canteen. His weapon of choice would be one of several sub-guns or machine guns more suitable for combat use. For the extra weight, he figured the water might be of more value in some situations than the handgun and its ammo. People inside tanks, aircraft, officers, etc., might look at it differently.)

Combat is varied, often sporadic, and while things can and do happen quickly, you don't always get a chance to engage many targets with a handgun rapidly without being engaged yourself.

Gun Games: in the gun games, like USPSA or IPSC, shooters will fire a couple of magazines during a string or course of fire, and then they'll clear and holster that weapon and wait around for their chance to shoot another string in a different scenario. It isn't always a lot of rounds fired quickly followed by more of the same.

In the situations described above, guns may get hot, but are unlikely to get so hot that the heat causes the shooter problems. (And IF they're really that busy, the shooters probably aren't paying attention to whether the gun is hot or not.) What you do at the range is much less constrained.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 24, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Pond, James Pond

So, reading between the lines here, this is just par for the course with a steel gun, used as described.

I guess it never occurred to me, never having experienced it with my G19. Something to remember and also something for would be buyers may want to consider, depending on their intended use.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
So, reading between the lines here, this is just par for the course with a steel gun, used as described.
Probably so, and I would argue that there are and have been far more steel-framed guns used in combat than polymer guns. (I like Glocks, so that's not meant as a slam.)

The U.S. military has bought way more than a half-million Beretta over the past couple of decades, many SIGs, etc. While other militaries use SOME polymer guns, not all of them see a lot of combat.

I'm not a big fan of Berettas, but I suspect the Berettas have seen more combat use in the past 40 years than just about anything else used by other major military units.

Old July 24, 2014, 05:29 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

Whether a handgun heats up or not isn't going to make me shy away from a steel handgun. I think that the "heat up" is to be expected. If it's steel or aluminum or whatever - it's going to conduct heat - that's what metal does. If you have a steel barrel surrounded by plastic, the plastic is going to act as an insulator. No different that an iron skillet versus a metal one with a plastic handle - the plastic handle insulates from the heat.

When I run my 9mm through it's paces - it heats up. When I am just taking it easy . . . I don't notice the heat. I'm mainly a revolver shooter and even when I'm taking it easy with my Smiths shooting 38s, they can get hot.

James - you don't mention "what" you were shooting in terms of ammo. I can only relate from my revolver ammo reloading what my experiences are as I only use Bulls Eye in my 9mm reloads. In my revolvers . . . different powers and different charge weights seem to affect the "heat factor"- all things ring fairly equal in terms of the frequency of shots.

I have a friend that I shoot with once in a while. He always complains about his handgun "heating up" - doesn't make any difference whether its a 22 or a .380 or a 9mm. I've heard others nearby who also have complained about theirs. Funny thing though, my friend will go through three times as much ammo as I do at a range session. He's one who equates "quantity" with end effect. I'd rather take my time and practice for "shot placement" - especially when practicing with my carry piece. With a revolver carrying 5 or 6 rounds - that's the important thing.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 24, 2014, 06:11 PM   #21
AK103K

The only handgun Ive owned that the frame got hot enough to notice, was my HK P7M13. Even that was only after a number of sustained mags and shooting quickly.

The early P7's lacked the trigger guard shield that the later guns had, and mine was so equipped.

I think the main issue there, was the P7's delayed blowback operating system, and the piston/cylinder sitting right on top of the trigger guard. The heat is right there above your finger.

While everything gets hot in some manner, I really cant remember any others that had the grip or frame around the grip getting warm or hot. Slides, cylinders, and barrels, sure, grips or frame rearward of the trigger guard, no.

I do find the revolvers tend to be hotter to handle, especially after sustained shooting/reloading cycles, and are more noticeably hot while reloading.

If you use the the method of opening the cylinder by pushing your fingers through the frame and and holding the gun by the cylinder, with the forcing cone resting on your finger, you know what hot is. Ayoobs "Stressfire" method is the better choice.

Quote:
I almost made the mistake of loading and holstering my new to me carry revolver after 70 rounds at the range. That sure would have burned my ... since I carry S.O.B.
I shoot from my holster in practice with pretty much everything I use, and normally shoot at least a couple of hundred rounds at an outing, and most of those are fried quickly and in bursts. The gun is constantly shot and reholstered, over and over, and while it does start to feel a little warm, its never been anything close to uncomfortable. Most of my holsters are IWB's, too.

If you want to feel "hot" with a firearm, full autos doing mag dumps, or sustained bursts, are about as hot as youll ever see. Even the semi auto rifle caliber guns will heat up quickly when shot quickly, and bare skin to barrel metal, and in some cases, even hand guards, is normally not a good thing.
Old July 25, 2014, 01:49 AM   #22
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James - you don't mention "what" you were shooting in terms of ammo.
I did: Post #3: Fiocchi 124gr.

Quote:
If it's steel or aluminum or whatever - it's going to conduct heat - that's what metal does.
Needless to say, I was expecting heat to accumulate. I was simply surprised by the degree felt in the frame, where my hands were.

I've never shot a gun to a point where I cannot keep my hand in position due to the heat, and I've shot guns more than I had that day. That is all.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:57 AM   #23
aarondhgraham

Have you ever heard the phrase,,,

Hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.

it's meant to describe something being hot,,,
As in being stolen goods.

But it's an analogy that fits.

Just last evening I took my new Bersa Thunder Pro UC9 out,,,
The last three mags of 13 I ran as fast as I could,,,
The slide didn't burn my skin or anything,,,
But it was definitely hot to the touch.

Just out of curiosity,,,
The next time I go out shooting,,,
I'll try the same with my CZ-75B and Ruger LC9.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 25, 2014, 11:18 AM   #24
mavracer

Yep they'll get plenty warm. My P7 will get so hot after 3 or four quick mags you can't touch it.
Say a video of a guy doing mag dumps with a full auto AK until the forend actually caught on fire.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 25, 2014, 11:21 AM   #25
marine6680

I remember reading a long term ammo test about steel vs brass cased ammo, where they abused the rifles and fired mag after mag as quick as they could, trying to infuse failures.

They got the ARs they were shooting so hot that the plastic/polymer hand guards caught fire and started burning.

My CZs do not get hot from sustained fire of reasonable rates when I am at the range. They do get good and warm.

Now if I dump a mag through it quickly at the end of my trip, it will get very hot.

If I dump the first mag through the gun... It just gets warm.

So this was caused by two things... The pistol was already preheated a bit from his normal firing, and then he fired a couple mags through it quickly.

If someone is unfamiliar with metal framed pistols and rarely fires several mags quickly... Then I can see why they would be surprised by the heat.

So go on Pond... Shoot it how you want and enjoy it... Just don't be grabbing the hot bits when you are done.