The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2014, 09:45 PM   #1
EvilE

SCYY handguns?

Was at a gunshow today , and almost pulled the trigger on a SCYY 9mm. The guy said they are good guns, by a company started by a couple of the guys from kel-tec, and glock engineers. He almost sold me on it. It was inexpensive and supposedly a decent gun. Small size looked awesome for concealed carry. I didn't end up getting it on a gut hunch. You guys know anything about these guns? Any good?
Old June 22, 2014, 09:58 PM   #2
qwiksdraw

There is a good discussion about the SCCY CPX going on here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548390

Check it out!
Old June 22, 2014, 10:03 PM   #3
peggysue

Or go to their forum link
http://www.sccyforum.com/
Old June 22, 2014, 10:07 PM   #4
indie_rocker

I love mine. Customer service is amazing.
Old June 23, 2014, 12:00 AM   #5
EvilE

Looks as if I missed out on possible gem. Damn
Old June 23, 2014, 12:03 AM   #6
indie_rocker

If you don't mind me asking, how much was he wanting? I paid $289 at an LGS just a couple weeks ago.

Also, the stiff magazine issue is not really an issue. I cleaned both, inside & out, the grease on them from the factory literally smelled like poop. Reassemble, load 11 rounds, they fit, I promise. Let them sit like that for a day or two. I haven't had an issue since.

Last edited by indie_rocker; June 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old June 23, 2014, 12:32 AM   #7
EvilE

$250 cash
Old June 23, 2014, 12:34 AM   #8
indie_rocker

Yeah, you missed a decent deal, lol. There will be other opportunities. Find a range that has one to rent and do some shooting, make sure it's a good fit for you.
Old June 23, 2014, 06:35 AM   #9
CWKahrFan

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/77909
Old June 23, 2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Ibmikey

I bought the SCCY 1 which has a manual safety as it was cheap, only model my buddy had in stock and I wanted a " truck gun". Shot it and the safety lever crap ate the web of my hand, SCCY replaced the frame (actually sent it to me and took ten minutes to replace) with a SCCY 2 now it is much easier to shoot and has eaten everything I fed it. Good 9mm 10 round pistol for the money and the best CS going!
Old June 23, 2014, 11:01 AM   #11
lashlaruhe

Anyone try using KelTec P11 magazines in the SCCY?
Looks like the extension tab on the CPX front of the grip would have to be removed or take some off the P11 magazine floor plate?
Old June 23, 2014, 11:03 AM   #12
lamarw

My understanding is SCCY makes their own magazine in-house so I doubt it would work. Although, I don't know this to be a fact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPX-2.jpg (33.1 KB, 39 views)
Old June 23, 2014, 11:14 AM   #13
PT-92

Outstanding value to be sure (as others mentioned they have worked out their bugs with the original release).

IMO, for a value no-frills buy in a 9mm compact model it's unmatched--Personally I would have picked up one if it were not the fact that I already have a couple of Kel-Tecs (which they seem to have essentially and unabashedly copied for the most part joining Ruger in that camp).
Old June 23, 2014, 03:47 PM   #14
lamarw

I finally got the incentive from the latest post to take mine out for a test drive.

I went through about a hundred rounds of my personal reloads without a single failure in performance. I do not report on accuracy because of my eyesight which is to say suspect. I will say I feel confident enuff about it to do the best I can.

The recoil is noticeable but not out of line for a small 15 oz. pistol. The recoil is not what I would describe as sharp, and the pistol comes back on target readily. I did find out the older magazines will not affix into the Second Generation pistol. The older magazines have a long notch down the left front corner of the magazine, and the newer magazines do not.

It was a pleasure to fire and seems very dependable. It does fit my hand well, and I would highly recommend the pistol if it fits your grip. It appears to be a great bargain for its category of pistols.
Old June 23, 2014, 08:21 PM   #15
qwiksdraw

Quote:
...The older magazines have a long notch down the left front corner of the magazine, and the newer magazines do not...
You might call SCCY and let them know, they may swap magazines with you.
Old June 23, 2014, 11:01 PM   #16
lamarw

Thanks, I do not want to take advantage of anyone. They have been great to me. They gave me two new magazines in the box and took none from me.
Old June 25, 2014, 04:59 PM   #17
huskybiker

Bought my daughter a pink one for her birthday last week. $225.00(shipped). I have to say, I am very satisfied with it. So far, it has performed 100%. It shoots about 2" low at 10 yds, but if you remember to cover the bullseye with the front sight it does a fine job.
Old June 25, 2014, 08:14 PM   #18
xmen

$225.00

I live in Dayton Ohio and dealers have these all the time, new, on Armslist for 225.00. I have been thinking of getting one too for ccw because of the slim design. Can,t beat the lifetime guarantee either.
Old June 25, 2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Why not just buy the Keltec it was copied from?
Old June 26, 2014, 09:35 AM   #20
pylonguy

I had a CPX-1 given as a gift. Ended up trading it in towards my XDs.

It had some feed issues which I believe was just a stiff magazine but I just wasn't a fan of it, got rid of it after about 100 rds. Fine for the low price but I personally would spend an extra $100-200 and get something better built.
Old June 26, 2014, 11:32 AM   #21
magnut

anyone interested in sccy should go to the sccy forums. i will get one eventually as i am a fan of the keltec p11 design but these guns still have a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. I figure by the time the generation 4 guns roll out they will be good to go.

factory mags are made by promag.

sccys do look cool though. they got the looks right. for the money keltecs are superior guns. if you are just going to own one of this design i would get the keltec. parts and magazines are not an issue and they have a lot more to offer.
Old June 26, 2014, 03:16 PM   #22
qwiksdraw

Well, my CPX2 has over 500 rounds and has been reliable. I carry it nearly every day on me or in a backpack (holstered), so it gets sweaty at times and tossed around a lot. Goes bang ever time I pull the trigger. It still looks new, like it did when the I bought it.

Spending more money wouldn't have done me better than what I got.

Magnut: Your reference was unclear, but SCCY manufactures their own mags, not ProMag.
Old June 26, 2014, 04:25 PM   #23
lamarw

I believe you are correct and SCCY produces their own mags.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison between the two pistols. How much doe Kel-Tec cost vs. SCCY? How do the warranties compare?

It would be nice to have a side by side comparison of the two pistols. The positive is if we have two great low cost pistols on the market. If the Kel-Tec is as good as the SCCY, we are rolling in the clover.
Old June 26, 2014, 04:30 PM   #24
magnut

hey not trying to trash your gun. I am glad you got a good one. i still want a sccy along with a cobra patriot (another keltec knock off). i am just waiting for sccy to get things more consistant. the cobra version has issues as well but i am willing to work them out and cobra parts and magazines are not an issue.

seems the latest issue was with the extractors. truth be told i can fix the extractor issue and the polished barrel/chamber problems. The real hangup for me is the frame and its recoil absorption feature. i need to get one in my hands again before i make a purchase. I cant remember the backstrap construction.
Old June 26, 2014, 07:31 PM   #25
PT-92

Quote:
Bill DeShivs

Why not just buy the Keltec it was copied from?
I had mentioned in an earlier post here that who would have thought "little-old" Kel-Tec would arguably revolutionize the sub-compact pistol arena whereby even the "Big-Boys" like Ruger would copy their designs (much less up-and-coming small companies like SCYY...)? I remember when I bought my P11 ten-plus years ago now how I had many people mock me but it is still today perhaps the best hi-cap sub-compact 9mm available on the Planet.

And you're right, the pricing difference (if well researched) is too little to play IMO a significant factor in which one is selected.

Bottom line, if Kel-Tec can ever measure up to meeting demand (which if you look at what they are currently doing expansion-wise, appears as though they they are doing) they may finally become a company that can consistently play with the Big-Boys...