The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
rebs

sig P220 ?

I found a Sig P220 at a gun show, it is I guess an older model since the mag release in on the bottom of the grip and not on the side between the grip and trigger. The sights have just a single white dot on the rear sight and a single white dot on the front sight. It also has stamped on the side Assembled by RPS.
Is this a good German made gun ? The fellow at the show said at the time they couldn't ship the assembled gun to the USA and so they shipped the parts and had it assembled by RPS, who is RPS ? I don't know if this is a good gun or not as good as the current model. It is in very very good condition with very slight holster wear at the end of the slide. He has the original box with matching serial number and the original booklet that came with it. The best he would do on the price was $640.00
I need some info about this gun and an opinion on the price.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
WVsig

Good gun not a great price. If you like the heels release then they are great shooters and will do anything that any other P220 will do. I assume this gun is chambered in 9mm.

They are German guns. IIRC they were orginally chambered in .38 and RPS was contracted to convert them to 9mm. They were imported by Sig and they often are Euro cop trade ins. There was a recent batch of similar guns imported by PW Arms and they sold for $350 to $400 depending on condition. They should be $400 guns not $650 guns. IMHO
Old September 8, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3
rebs

This one is chambered in 45 acp
Old September 8, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
WVsig

Still too much unless you really are in love with the heel release. There are good used W. German P220s for $500 to $575 all the time.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

The gun is an older one designed for the European market (police). Sig had to put in the thumb magazine release for the American market.

The first Sigs were imported by Browning as the Browning Double Action. These had the bottom magazine release. Then Sig went on its own.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
WVsig

Quote:
The gun is an older one designed for the European market (police). Sig had to put in the thumb magazine release for the American market.

The first Sigs were imported by Browning as the Browning Double Action. These had the bottom magazine release. Then Sig went on its own.
Yes P220 was originally imported by Browning as the BDA but they were not marked P220. The gun was originally chambered in 9mm and then 45 ACP. I cannot remember when 38 super came into the mix.

It sounds like the gun is marked as a P220 and RPS is a Canadian company that did some conversions for Sig taking P220s in 38 super to 9mm similar to what people do with 1911s in 38 super. There have been reports of a few of these showing up with the RPS markings in 45 but I am pretty sure they are P220s not BDAs.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:02 PM   #7
rebs

This one is marked Sig Sauer P220 and in smaller lettering it says assembled by RPS. It sounds like it was built as a 45 acp and just assembled by RPS, not a conversion. Would that make it a rare gun ?
Old September 8, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
WVsig

Yes it would make it more rare but not really worth more than a standard P220. It might be worth more to a due hard collector but those are few and far between.

It is an early P220 assembled by RPS.

Last edited by WVsig; September 8, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:39 AM   #9
rebs

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. I think I am going to pass on buying this gun as the price is close enough to make it seem better to just buy a brand new one. I am also not sure being assembled by RPS is as good as one built completely in Germany.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:52 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've heard that quality control went down after production was shifted to America. It's not that Americans can't make good things but that upper management made some cost cutting or profit making decisions. Some handgunners prefer older German made Sigs.

My only objection to the one in question is the European mag release.
Old September 9, 2012, 05:40 PM   #11
chris in va

Try and rent/ borrow a 220 before you buy. I had an older one for six years and never warmed up to it.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:52 PM   #12
MonsterB

Quote:
I've heard that quality control went down after production was shifted to America. It's not that Americans can't make good things but that upper management made some cost cutting or profit making decisions. Some handgunners prefer older German made Sigs.
I have heard that too, but for arguements sake, my 229 made in may of this year is absolutely stunning. Perfect in every way, perfect fit, finish, smooth as silk trigger, 100% reliable right out of the box, and as easy to be accurate with as any gun I have shot yet. My finest firearm it is, and I can assure you Sig is currently making a very high quality gun.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Marquezj16

Quote:
I've heard that quality control went down after production was shifted to America.
How long ago did they switch production to the US?

I have three Sigs, German made SP2022(2010), US assembled P220 (2004) and US made 1911 (2012). All have functioned 100% and in my eyes are excellent quality guns.

BTW, I paid $500 for mine.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Rinspeed

Quote:

Sig made the 220 in the US for 10 years before they started having quality issues.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:17 PM   #15
rebs

Quote:
Sig made the 220 in the US for 10 years before they started having quality issues.
when did the quality issues start ? What year ?