The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
soapboxpreacher

M&P22 or Browning Buck Mark

Posted this question elsewhere to get as much info and thinking as possible. A little background I have an M&P9 Full Size...so I am strongly considering the M&P. Initially I was simply going to get the Buck Mark. I also considered the Ruger MKIII but several people commented on the picky ammo issues and the nightmare taking apart to clean. I know the Buck will be more accurate and the M&P will probably be more fun. The M&P22 is new yet getting very good reviews for reliability and ability to shoot damn near any type of Ammo. What am I going to miss with going with the M&P over the Buck? I was considering getting both but not sure about that either if that is just foolish. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old April 13, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
zincwarrior

The Buckmark, in addition to being inexpensive, has a fixed barrel. Like the Ruger you noted, the Beretta Neo, the S&W 21 (I think its called a 21), they are more accurate than most people are. Add to that uniformly good triggers and adjustable sights and most people swear by them. As a reference, with a simple Buckmark camper I routinely will freehand a half inch group at 7 yards (I like to shoot the small sized hole fillers from shoot n see targets).

The S&W would be a better choice if you are specifically looking to replicate the M&P in all aspects and have lots of practice on a less expensive budget. Still fun to shoot, just not as awe inspiringly accurate as the above pistols.
Old April 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

I would advise for the M&P 22,,,

But I'm a notorious proponent of matching rimfire/centerfire handguns.

I firmly believe that lotsa practice with the affordable .22 ammo,,,
Translates to better performance with the centerfire pistol.

You might (and I stress might) lose some pinpoint accuracy with the M&P 22,,,
But not enough to make practice with the M&P unproductive.

Besides,,,
A buckmark isn't that costly,,,
Buy the M&P 22 first as an understudy,,,
Then later (if you feel you want it) get a Buckmark for fun.

Either way you'll get a nice handgun,,,
It's just a matter of which one you get first.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
GaryH

Browning Buckmark is what I'd choose because of barrel length and reputation.
Old April 13, 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Shyzzy

I've shot the Buck and own an M&P22. I think your comment that the M&P would be more fun seems like you know what you should do.
Old April 13, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
soapboxpreacher

Shyzzy whats your take on both?
Old April 14, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
chuckles

I'm not shyzzy but both is what I did. I love my Buckmark, just got a MP.22 and haven't fired it yet but soon. I'm also going to get a MKIII hunter when I find one. Can't have too many rimfires. I have several.
Old April 14, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
MythBuster

"I also considered the Ruger MKIII but several people commented on the picky ammo issues and the nightmare taking apart to clean."

They are no more "picky about ammo" than any other .22 auto.

Also if you have average intelligence, you can read and follow simple instrustions, and can understand basic gun design they are not a problem to field strip.
Old April 14, 2012, 12:50 PM   #9
GaryH

I've kinda have too many .22s at the moment. Two revolvers and 5 semi autos so far. I can't seem to help myself. When I find one at a price I consider fair I buy it. It's a sickness I think.
Old April 14, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
mitchntx

Quote:
They are no more "picky about ammo" than any other .22 auto.

Also if you have average intelligence, you can read and follow simple instrustions, and can understand basic gun design they are not a problem to field strip.
This

Further, the Ruger doesn't require a tool to "field" strip like the BM.
I have both and both are very nice 22s.

Can't go wrong with either one.
Old April 14, 2012, 04:22 PM   #11
TacticalDefense1911

Both are great guns and completely different platforms. Do you want a target gun or something that mimics a defensive handgun. If you want the former then get a Buckmark, if you want the latter get the M&P 22. I have shot or owned both and they are both very good .22 handguns. Neither would be a bad pick, just depends on what you will be using them for.
Old April 14, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
I also considered the Ruger MKIII but several people commented on the picky ammo issues
I'm not sure about other people but my Mark II will swallow anything I give it and I've ran some truely crappy ammo through it before. I think they are about as reliable as a .22 handgun can be.
Old April 14, 2012, 04:34 PM   #13
whippoorwill

This morning, I did some target practice with my S&W 41, Ruger MK III (5.5 inch bull barrel), and S&W M&P22 (first time out). The ammo I was testing included Winchester Target, Remington Target, CCI Standard, CCI Green Tag, Aguila Pistol Match, Federal Gold Medal (700), and Federal Auto-Match. Here are a few comments on each pistol.

S&W 41 - Smoooooth. Best group obtained with CCI Green Tag. No FTFs or FTEs.

Ruger MKIII - A bit heavy, but a classic. Best group obtained with Remington Target. No FTFs or FTEs.

S&W22 - Not as heavy as the other two. No clear winner on best group, as several brands of ammo shot about the same. Experienced a few FTFs with the Federal ammo.

In my opinion, the S&W 41 is more of a bench pistol, the S&W M&P22 is more of a carry pistol, and the Ruger MKIII is in between. If this were about Goldilocks and the three Bears, the Ruger would be just right.

Regarding which is more fun... it depends. If you like making the smallest groups possible, then the S&W 41 followed by the Ruger MKIII are more fun. If you prefer extended carrying on a belt holster and plinking, the the S&W M&P22 is definitely more fun.

A few final comments:

1) The Ruger MKIII is not finiky about ammo. It eats anything.
2) The Ruger MKIII is not that difficult to field strip.
3) The accuracy of the S&W M&P22 (from the bench) was much better than I anticipated. It's a keeper, as are the other two.

Sorry, I've not owned a Buckmark. I hear they're very similar in performance to the Ruger.

As an aside, my Kimber 82 (Varmint Classic) preferred the Federal Gold Match of the ammo I was testing.
Old April 14, 2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Crunchy Frog

I shot a Steel Challenge match today and a guy on our squad was shooting his new M&P-22. It was the first one I have seen in action. Pretty nice; he had some feeding issues but of course that could be ammo and the gun was not broken in yet (my Ruger ran great out of the box).
Old April 14, 2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Shyzzy

The buck I shot was a range gun. Plenty more accurate than I am. My M&P needs some sight work before ill be happy with it. But for the most part where I pointed it hit. I enjoy shooting something closer to what I plan on owning as opposed to a different grip and sight setup.
Old April 14, 2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Aeelorty

I was just wondering what are the prices on these guns? i just ordered a gsg 1911 .22 but i am thinking of something more accurate for competition in the future.
Old April 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #17
tubeshooter

Quote:
I've kinda have too many .22s at the moment. Two revolvers and 5 semi autos so far. I can't seem to help myself. When I find one at a price I consider fair I buy it. It's a sickness I think.
I've gotten this way too. My original plan was to buy one kit gun .22 revolver and that would be it for life.

Now I've added 4 semis to the list. Still want 2 other revos but it can wait, like you say kinda have more than I need right now. Plus prices are so daggone high right now anyway...

I'll bet that I'll get them eventually though. As stated, it's a sickness.

Two of my semis are Buckmarks. Fine guns; no issues.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:53 PM   #18
barstoolguru

I bought my buckmark back in 1986 and still have it. It does range duty every time I go, someone is shooting it.; Has been a faithful companion
Old April 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #19
SRH78

I can't compare the two as I haven't shot a buckmark but I also have an M&P full size and recently shot the M&P 22 and was very impressed with it. It is definitely on my list now. The buckmark may have more mechanical accuracy but the M&P 22 shot very well for me and obviously felt great in the hand, much better than the buckmark, imo. The trigger was also much better than my centerfire M&P. My suggestion is to try both but I will cast my vote for the M&P 22.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
I also considered the Ruger MKIII but several people commented on the picky ammo issues
My Ruger Mk III will eat any .22LR ammo you can feed it. Round nose, hollow point, light target ammo, cheap bulk. It doesn't care.

On the other hand, my brother's Buck Mark has always been pretty finicky. Not to the point of being frustrating, but definitely not as reliable as the Ruger. It's still a great .22 though. Fun to shoot with a great trigger.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:55 PM   #21
excelerater

buckmark ,by far the ebest 22 handgun on the market
Old April 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #22
vyse.04

If you want something close to your M&P (which seems like you do), go with the M&P .22. It's not the best choice when it comes to carry, but you will get much cheaper practice with a similar platform. To me that is the real benefit of buying most of the .22's not named Mark III, Buckmark, Neos, etc.

The target .22's fill their role just fine too, but it really depends on your intended purpose.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:50 PM   #23
farmerboy

cant speak of the m&p but my buckmark is awesomely accurate and will eat any 22 ammo you feed it. I use my for plinking and for an all purpose gun to tote in the woods.
Old April 16, 2012, 04:43 AM   #24
Pilot

Another vote for the Buckmark. Time tested, more accurate, and a better trigger.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:08 AM   #25
PPBart

Quote:
go with the M&P .22. It's not the best choice when it comes to carry, but you will get much cheaper practice
I don't see much value in carrying a .22, but I did look at/handle a M&P.22 yesterday at Cabela's and really like it. Probably will go back and get one sometime this week.