The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
capbuster

Speer .357 soft point bullets

I dont use alot of jacketed bullets in my handguns but for years I have used Speer jacketed soft point bullets for some of my .357 magnum loads.I recently got into my newest box of these bullets and they are a bit different. Compared to the older bullets,there is very little exposed lead and the bullet base is dimpled. Forgive my ignorance but this has me puzzled?
Old May 19, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2
EchoFiveMike

The dimple in the bottom is from "bumping up" the projectile to the proper size. This is common with the electroplated bullets that are Speer's main pistol line. I was aware that this is available as soft point, perhaps they are Gold Dots, with minimal hollow cavity? I know the 158gn GD's have very little hollowpoint cavity, with a skivved nose, this bullet being designed for hunting and greater penetration. S/F...Ken M
Old May 23, 2005, 02:31 AM   #3
Bullet94

I believe the bullets you have are Uni-Cor. Most of Speer’s 357 bullets are. The only 357 soft point bullets I see on their web page are Uni-Cor. I think they’re supposed to retain their weight better than conventional bullets. The jacket doesn’t separate because there is no jacket. Speer calls them bonded core (plated I believe). Suppose to work good. I us Gold Dots in 357 they're Uni-Cor too.