The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2013, 10:56 PM   #1
tinkersdelight

M1 Garand Reload 180 gr

anybody had experience in this weight class?

I know it's a heavy for what it was designed for.
Old August 1, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Phil McGrath

The 180 SMK is not the same as the old 180SMK, the current 180SMK shares the same boat tail angle as the 168 SMK at 13* and its not good for any real Long Range accuracy.

A better bullet wound be a 175 SMK as it has a BT angle of 9*.
Old August 1, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
iraiam

Not 180, but I have loaded Hornaday 178 grain bullets for the Garand with good results. I see the 178 grain BTHP has been discontinued, but I think they still make the 178 grain A-Max.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 2, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
HiBC

I'm not the great expert on the Garand.I'll give you my best shot.

The Garand needs two things

A)Reasonable breech pressure.Hatcher's book of the Garand speaks of a peak operating pressure of "50,000 psi" Now,a caution.In that time,pressure was measured via a crusher system,and the actual number used might be called "psi".My unconfirmed suspicion is Hatcher was referring to 50,000 cup.I might be wrong.The piezio equiptment to measure psi came after Mr Hatcher.Now,it is important to understand and differentiate between the two.

CUP and PSI are not the same.

B)The other requirement is a gas port pressure of 6000 psi,+ or - 2000 psi.Not enough,it won't cycle.Too much,and you will damage the rifle,specifically the op rod.

Lighter bullets can be accelerated efficiently by faster burning powders.Heavier bullets require slower powder and longer acceleration time to get up to speed.A loaded semi truck can go 75 miles per hour,just like an empty pickup.The heavy truck needs more time and road to get up to speed.

With a bolt 30-06,and slow powder,you can hold high pressure and acceleration longer toward the muzzle.

There will be a 180 gr bullet load that will be safe to shoot in your Garand,but you will have to use a powder that is faster burning than optimum.You will have to give up velocity to do it.For a hypothetical number,you might get 2675 fps with a 168 gr bullet,but you may have to drop to 2475 with a 180.You give up more in velocity than you gain with the bullet weight.BTW,I made up the velocity numbers,they are just to illustrate.

I have not used my Schuester plug yet,but that is why they make them.The adjustable gas plug allows pressure to be bled off,saving the op rod.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
tahunua001

hornady has an entire chapter devoted to m1 garand loads and there are 180gr loads but I'm away from my manual right now. the different bullet weights aren't that big of a deal, using a powder with the proper burn rate is much more important.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.