The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
tsillik

CZ75 ?

What is the difference in the 75 and the 75B ? Terry
Old October 1, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Venom1956

The "B" stands for Firing Pin Block.

They are slightly different to the point where mags won't interchange.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 1, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
They are slightly different to the point where mags won't interchange.
Partially true. All 10 or 15-round factory mags work in either, but newer 16-rounders won't fit in the older non-B 75. That can be remedied by opening up the top of the mag channel in the 75 -- something that a gunsmith can do.

Some after-market mags work fine, as do some Tanfoglio mags. You can't buy sight-unseen; you need to try them. Most Mec-Gar mags probably won't work, and Mec-Gar now makes the factory mags.

The original 75s generally had great triggers. Some of the late 75s look and act like a 75B, except they don't have the firing pin block; those models will generally accept the newer magazines.

The 75 has evolved with a number of modifications over the years, with subtle changes in the barrel, magazine brake, sights (and related dovetails), etc. The newer models come with a less pleasant trigger, but that smooths out with 300 or so rounds.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Creeper

Funny... I just posted this in another thread. You can get genuine CZ pre 'B', 16 rd. mags direct from CZ. The item number is 11114.

C
Old October 2, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

You can get them there, but they're pricey! If you just need one or two, it's not to bad, but if you want 5-6, its a burden.

I don't have any pre-Bs,, now, but if I did, I'd just get the inside of the grip adjusted to accept standard magazines.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
shep854

Another thing about 'pre-B' pistols is that the mags don't drop free (European practice). The adjustment Walt mentioned should take care of that if necessary.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Another thing about 'pre-B' pistols is that the mags don't drop free (European practice). The adjustment Walt mentioned should take care of that if necessary.
Until recently, they didn't drop free in most CZ models.

The solution is to replace the mag brake (a flat piece of metal that covers the mainspring [also called the hammer spring] and presses against the mag) with a flat one from the 85 Combat. Many of the newer models, at least when imported to the US, have this already done.

Or, even more simply, remove the grips and take the top of the existing mag brake loose (it's held by a pin) and bend it so that it is bowed the other way (against the mainspring/hammer spring), reinstall the pin, and you're good to go.

It's generally an easy fix but the metal is pretty stiff and brittle, so be careful when you bend.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:30 AM   #8
tsillik

Are both of these all steel models?
Old October 3, 2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Pilot

Yes, the 75, and 75B are all steel.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Note, however, that some of the compact models have alloy frames -- and there's no issue with durability with those guns.

I'd be tempted by a full-size 75B in alloy, if that's ever offered.

When I had a Compact 75B (the steel version), I found it a bit hefty, while the alloy-framed PCR was less heavy. The compact steel model isn't that much lighter than the full-size; most folks who have carried both don't claim to notice that much difference.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Pilot

A friend of mine has an all steel SP-01, which I really, really like. One day we were shooting at our gun club, and a guy next to us had a new polymer framed Phantom which I believe is also designated as an SP-01 (I find this confusing). Anyway, I got to shoot the Phantom, next to the steel SP-01. I liked it a lot, almost as much as the all steen SP-01, and it would probably be easier to carry.