The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 19, 2015, 08:30 PM   #1
NHSHOOTER

High end rifle

I was looking at used rifles and a Kimber caught my eye, are they really worth the extra? Is there that much more attention to detail? I am sure there are other rifles out there at or about the same price range as Kimber. I guess my question is, are they worth it?
Old January 19, 2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Doyle

If you Google "Kimber Quality Control" I think you may find the answer you are looking for. You'll find lots of discussion both ways but if I were going to pay out that kind of money for a rifle I'd want to find very little in the way of negative experiences.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Rob228

I just sold my Kimber 8400 Classic to my father, but not because I didn't like it. It is a really sweet little rifle, incredibly well made and very accurate (right around 1" at 100, from a 7 pound rifle in .325 short magnum). The only reason I sold it is financial, I was standing in my gunroom, saw on that I hadn't shot in 8 years and put it on the market, my dad picked it up before anyone else could. Honestly, if I'd bought that same rifle in .308 I never would have sold it.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:54 PM   #4
jmr40

Kimbers niche is extreme light weight. If you want a well built rifle that can weigh under 6 bs with scope and mounts they are a bargain. The only thing lighter, and possibly better is a NULA which will be 1 or 2 oz lighter and 2 1/2 to 3 times the cost.

You can't build a custom rifle and get it that light without spending at least double the cost.

If you don't want to pay a premium for an extremely light rifle there may be better choices. A Kimber will average 2 or 3 lbs lighter than comparable rifles

I have one in 308 that shoots great. In fact I'd bet money that at least 90% of the poor accuracy claims are not due to anything wrong with the rifles. It simply takes a lot more skill to shoot a 5 lb rifle off a bench than it does an 8 lb rifle. A lot of people don't have those skills and won't put in the effort to develop them.

Old January 19, 2015, 10:47 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have one in 308 that shoots great. In fact I'd bet money that at least 90% of the poor accuracy claims are not due to anything wrong with the rifles. It simply takes a lot more skill to shoot a 5 lb rifle off a bench than it does an 8 lb rifle. A lot of people don't have those skills and won't put in the effort to develop them.
I'd say it's more about proper technique and simply being willing to take a little more abuse.

There definitely are some adjustments that need to be made by the average shooter, to handle light weight rifles, though.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:02 PM   #6
reynolds357

The Kimber rifles made today are probably worth the money. They are not really all that expensive. I have seen the actual dealer cost on them and there is a huge markup with most dealers. As a side note, the early Kimbers were a joke.
Old January 20, 2015, 12:02 AM   #7
Scorch

Every wood-stocked Kimber I have ever seen was absolutely beautifully done, with high-grade wood and cut checkering. I have not shot a Kimber lately, but the early ones did have some accuracy issues unrelated to weight. I mounted a scope on a 8400L last month, and I must admit I want one now.
Old January 20, 2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Savage99

The Kimber rifles are very light in weight yet have high quality synthetic stocks and retain the control round feed of the mauser and a three position safety that works better than a M70's!

We have a number of Kimbers and I enjoy hunting and shooting them.

Kimber is made right here in the USA!
Old January 20, 2015, 05:43 AM   #9
mete

There has been some QC problems with some Kimbers .So it's a hit or miss.My Montana , .223 has some problems I'm working on .They are not serious but shouldn't be there for that price. Otherwise excellent trigger and I like that Win type 3 position safety .
As a used gun see if they will let you shoot it to check accuracythat one
Old January 20, 2015, 07:32 AM   #10
BoogieMan

I would not consider Kimber as high end, more of a mid grade. They start at around $900ish the same as Sako, CZ etc...My experience with the company has been very good. High end would be more like Blaser, Sauer, Schoenauer, etc..
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; January 20, 2015 at 07:40 AM.