The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2013, 10:57 PM   #26
onegun2

shaving lead ?

After seating bullet inspect the loaded round just forward of the case mouth
for a bulge of lead. This can occur if the case is not flared enough for the lead bullet to enter case without shaving a little lead as bullet is seated.
If this is happening you need to flare more.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:29 AM   #27
primerman

If your seating die has a roll crimp you may want to seat the bullet in one step and go back later and crimp. I had to give up on crimping and seating at the same time as I was bulging the case. A lot of people can crimp and seat at the same time but I was never any good at it. I was using the Hornady dies and the seating die had a roll crimp so I ended up buying a separate taper crimp die and added another step to my loading process. Most everyone can expand the case mouth just enough to get the bullet to seat but I expand a little extra so I need to taper crimp to remove the bell from the case mouth, if I don't my bullets won't chamber in my pistol properly. On the days I get my expander die set to where I don't need to use my taper crimp die I still like running them through the taper crimp tie just for the fun of it, right now I'm just too lazy to change it.