The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 6, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
johnemersonjr85

Was this a good trade? I'm new to this make/model pistol.

I'll start off by saying thanks for having me everyone and for providing any input as I am a new member. I just traded a Benchmade Nimravus and an Emerson Police Utility Knife, around $300 in value for a lightly used NAA Guardian .32 acp (AA serial number which I've read is early and had problems with the extended pinky mags dropping, but I'm using the mags without pinky extensions). It seemed to me like a no brainer, trading two knives for a pistol in what appears to be in great working order. I know of the Guardian but have no experience with the pistol. So anyone with personal experiences with the Guardian that can tell me their thoughts on the pistol and/or was the trade sound, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
PetahW

It's good, if the Guardian fits your hand during firing - an issue I only found out after buying.

Old June 6, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
willmc33

Very nice knives but knives for a pistol is always a good deal in my book.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Hansam

NAA is a pretty good company. They put out pretty nice little guns too.

The question is whether or not the trade was worth it to you.

The pistol (according to this year's edition of gun values) is worth as such:

NIB: $355
Excellent: $255
Good: $185

So what condition was the pistol in at the time of the trade and what were your knives worth to you cumulatively?

Personally, just guessing at the retail value of the knives (about $120 for the Nimravus and $225 for the Emerson) it would have been a decent trade for a NIB or LNIB NAA Guardian. On the other hand if the pistol wasn't in that condition then well I guess its whether it was worth it to you.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
johnemersonjr85

-PetahW, thanks for your input. I am a little guy which is why I agreed to the trade, so the grip does feel right in my hand. Was that your only issue with it?

-willmc33, thanks to you for your input, and those were my exact thoughts!

-Hansam, and thank you as well for your thoughts. I think I'd put it in-between Excellent & Good if that's possible. I am a noob to this weapon but not guns in general so as far as function, spring tension, and mechanical wear it seems to be "Excellent" but I am a bit anal over cosmetics and it does show "holster" wear. Paid $179 for the Emerson and $129 for the Benchmade here in Phoenix. I did like those knives...a lot but I have been looking for a pistol that hides well on my small frame and is reliable enough for EDC. I guess I was on the fence about the trade until I read everyone’s comments about it being a good company/pistol.

Last edited by johnemersonjr85; June 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

I've always liked the little Gaurdians and have come close to buying one in the past. I never could get past the weight or the trigger but that's just me. Considering the pistol is in good shape, I would have made the trade in a heartbeat. How about some pics?