The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

An old popular powder I know little about.

Earlier I was looking at a few old Ideal Reloading Guides. I knew most of the powders used in the recipes. All but one that is. Around 1951 there was a popular home reloading powder called (Lightning) Does anyone know? or have any information their willing to share concerning the powder called >Lightning?

Thanks.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Peter M. Eick

I have seen lightening on display at a reloading show, but never worked with it. Sharpe has data for it in his 37 book and like you, in my old Ideal books I have data for it.

With no experience with the powder I cannot comment much on it. Neat bit of history if you have some.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Salmoneye

Lightning was produced till 1958:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Gen...okeless.pdf‎

Last edited by Salmoneye; January 8, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old January 7, 2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Bumping around on the net I happen to find this site. Pretty interesting if one wants to try pistol powders in rifle application. The goods & the bads about reduced charges and the powders to consider.

You were spot on with your comment concerning Sharpe Peter M. Eick. I thank you for that Sir. {Sorry I don't have any Lightning powder. I certainly wish I did.} only a couple recipes with its use in 30-30 cartridges is all I have Sir.

There was mentioning of Lightning #1 & #2 which gave me some idea about those (2) long ago discontinued excellent powders.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

The Use of Pistol Powders in Rifle Cartridges" Opens a window to info one should read if considering pistol powder use and which to consider and which not.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:27 AM   #5
LE-28

Lightning was one of the original smokeless powders manunfactured by Laflin and Rand in 1898. I believe it was to replace the black powder used in the revolvers and rifles at the time.

I was made from the same recipe as the W-A30 (Whistler and Aspenwall) one of the original recipes acquire from the American Powder Company in a buyout. The only difference between W-A 30 and Lightning was the cut of the powder to change the burn speed. The W-A 30 made it's name in the loading of the 30-40 Krag-Jorgeson (30cal Army) which came out in the same year.

'Lightning' was a real piece of American Gun Powder History.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lightning was one of the earliest of the commercially available smokeless powders.

It was originally developed as a potential military handgun powder for .38 Long and .45 Colt, but wasn't entirely suitable and never made the cut as a military powder.

Commercially it was also useful for some of the older black powder rifle rounds.

It was not, however, a smokeless bulk replacement powder. It had to be weighed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 8, 2014, 06:16 AM   #7
LE-28

If you want to read the entire history of Laflin and Rand and the powders they made in the beginning, check out this link.

When you see the download button at the bottom of the page click on it and download the pdf. It is a really interesting read.

http://www.laflinandrand.com/page2.html
Old January 8, 2014, 06:34 AM   #8
ATPBULLETS

tried to download.... my antivirus stopped it and said virus present on the download.... BEWARE...
Old January 8, 2014, 06:43 AM   #9
Salmoneye

Corrected the corrected URL for L&R history...

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Gen...-Smokeless.pdf

Last edited by Salmoneye; January 8, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old January 8, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Interesting read. Comments and Links both. It's surprising how much is known about these old powder manufactures and the competition between them.
Old January 8, 2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

It was that Laughlin & Rand document that, as far as I know, was the first one to contradict Phil Sharpe's contention that the original Bullseye Powder was "fines" left over from the manufacture of Infalliable shotgun powder.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.