The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
.38Catt

Ruger LC9 Longevity?

Greeting All, it's been awhile.

Okay, so I bought an LC9. Guns were flying off the shelves and I wanted a new carry piece. I've always liked Rugers and this was just $299.00 New. Yes, New.

I like the little gun. 100 rounds, no problems, very accurite from the 7 yard distance I was shooting from.

Points very well for me.

My biggest concern is longevity. Its not a range gun, I know, but I've read some discouraging things about this guns having a short life expectance in terms of round count.

Can anybody comment on this? Anyone racked up an extremly high round count yet?

Thoughts and comments, please.

Catt
Old March 13, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2
.38Catt

No one?
Old March 13, 2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Sport45

I've only got a few hundred through mine but it appears to be Ruger tough. I expect one of my sons will wind up inheriting it.
Old March 14, 2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
I've read some discouraging things about this guns having a short life expectance in terms of round count.
I can tell you that the rental LC9 at our range has held up quite well. Better than a lot of other guns.

The LC9 is a good little gun; it's very compact and yet has very manageable recoil. Yes, it has a magazine safety, but that's easily removed. Unfortunately it has one of the worst triggers I've ever experienced in a handgun.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:34 AM   #5
thedudeabides

My LCP had the pins back out of the frame after 300 rounds. I tapped them back in. Then it started to do that every 25-50 rounds. Then the extractor snapped off.

My wife's LC9, an equally cheaply made gun, started to fall apart after 500 rounds. The rear sights fell out and the pins also started to shuffle out.

I got her a PPS, it's not a lot more and an infinitely better made gun.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:47 AM   #6
.38Catt

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting, polar opposite reviews.

Catt
Old March 14, 2013, 08:07 AM   #7
sir_n0thing

Re: Ruger LC9 Longevity?

I plan on picking up a pocket 9mm, and the Ruger is one of my top candidates... Overall, I have seen more positive reviews on it than negative. I can find horribly negative reviews on any make or model gun you care to name... as well as glowing positive reviews.
My history since childhood with Ruger firearms has been very positive, so I am inclined to give the LC9 the benefit of the doubt.
I own a Mark 1 centennial model (1976 manufacture, have owned since childhood), a SR9 and a SR1911. All have thousands of rounds through them and have been stellar.
It seems to me that in almost every industry you can get an occasional lemon. The key for me is to weigh out how many bad reviews vs good reviews. Also I feel that people who have bad experiences tend to be the most vocal. Most people who purchase something and it just plain works, never speak up about unless asked. They just continue quietly using it... it has met their expectations.
Sorry for the long post... I am trying to kill some time, waiting for someone!

/sent via tapatalk/
Old March 14, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
AH.74

Quote:
My LCP had the pins back out of the frame after 300 rounds. I tapped them back in. Then it started to do that every 25-50 rounds. Then the extractor snapped off.

My wife's LC9, an equally cheaply made gun, started to fall apart after 500 rounds. The rear sights fell out and the pins also started to shuffle out.
Did you give Ruger a chance to rectify either of these situations?
Old March 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Skans

First of all, $299 is a great price!

Second, go ahead and shoot the crap out of it. I have an LC9 and I shoot it plenty when I go to the range. It's actually a robust little gun. You do not need to baby it - I carry mine daily. If anything breaks, it can be fixed. Recoil spring are cheap. So far, mine has run flawlessly. The LC9 is a great little gun. Ruger has a winner with this one.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
9mm

I had one, about 300 rounds through it, sold it hated the internal lock system and long trigger pull. Got the Sig p938 9mm, way better. $299 is a stolen price lol I paid $380 for mine new and $420 with the lazer added. I saw used ones for $330 and I sold mine for $340 used.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Vermonter

Not a good report on this end

Somewhere here if you search posts by me you will see a thread where I detail my past issues with an LC9. That gun when to the mother ship three times and never did straighten out. It would have catastrophic type failures like the slide stop engaging on every round.

I won't go into much detail here because you can search for the thread I am refering to.

Needless to say I don't own this gun anymore.

ETA http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=lc9&page=4

That thread is mine where the wheels begin to come off. The rest of my comments on the subject are on other boards and are replies to other posts. Make sure to read that thread to the end because it takes a while for my round count to get high enough for an issue to arise.

Regards, Vermonter

Last edited by Vermonter; March 14, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:02 PM   #12
weblance

I have 1,100 rounds thru mine, and I see no wear whatsoever internally. It has a little bluing wear on the top of the barrel at the ejection port, but its been a great pistol. Holding up well, and I see no reason why it wouldnt last for years. I dont shoot any +P, or +P+.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:21 AM   #13
thedudeabides

Quote:
Did you give Ruger a chance to rectify either of these situations?
They replaced the pins on both guns, which started to shimmy out again when we got them back. To their credit, the night sights on the LC9 seemed to stay put after that.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Vermonter

Ruger tried for me x3

It was a very difficult situation for me as I wanted to like this gun in the worst way. I was without it more than I owned it during my short time pecause it was either ups ing or with ruger.

I will say that ruger paid shipping every time and offered me a new LC9 or any other 9mm. I wanted a small single stack and I didn't trust this product so I went another direction.

I am happy in my new Nano as long as it keeps runing like it should. I will say that I have a ruger SR22 and an LCP and I am nothing but pleased with both of those guns so I am going to chaulk my expirence up to a very sour lemon and leave it at that.

With Kindest Regards, Vermonter
Old March 15, 2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Skans

So, I wasn't really believing that the gripframe pins could walk out (since I've not experienced anything like that on mine), so I googled this. It does seem that some people have had problems with this on their LC9's. There are some home-brew fixes for this, but Ruger really should address this. I'm sure they can design something to keep the pins from walking.