The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2006, 09:42 AM   #1
AMT8951

A bad week for central NY LEO

Last week saw two central NY LEO's die in the line of duty. Joseph Korr of the New Hartford PD (just south of Utica) was killed by a single gun shot wound to the neck while attempting to apprehend a suspect in a jewlry store robbery. The word is Korr was pursuing the suspect on foot after a vehicle pusuit, when the suspect turned and fired on him. He leaves behind a wife and a one year old daughter. The suspect then carjacked a tow truck to Harrisburg PA, and was killed by U.S. Marshalls a few days later in Phil PA. Three accomplices made off with over 1 million dollars in jewlry, but have since been apprehended.

Trooper Andrew (AJ) Sperr of the NYSP, was killed two days later in Horseheads NY (near Elmira), about 90 minutes from Utica. Apparently Sperr was checking i9nvestigating a vehicle matching the discription of one used in a bank robbery, earlier that day. As he approached the vehicle two males opened fire on him. He was struck once, below his vest and later died of his injuries. Before dying he shot one of his attackers four times and the other once, with his Glock 17. Both suspects survived and are in custody.

Don't know if this belongs in this forum, but I thoght that people should know.
Everyone (LEO or not) be carefull out there and stay sharp, thier are people in this world who will try to kill you for no good reason!
RIA Midsize .45acp
Glock 21
Olympic Arms M4
Win M70 .375 H&H
FN PBR .308
Win M69A .22
Mini-14
Ithica M37 Deerslayer 12ga
Remington 721 30/06
Old March 5, 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
TooTall

There seems to be a "trend" that comes along every few years, when a rash of LEO killings take place.
The California Highway Patrol has lost 5 officers during the past 6 months.
Old March 5, 2006, 09:53 AM   #3
yomama

God bless law enforcement. The work has always fascinated me, but have to say I don't have the cohonas to do it. Without them, we would all be living in a world where courage and commitment to humanity and life is overtaken by evil.

It's not vengence, it's punishment - The Punisher
Old March 5, 2006, 09:58 AM   #4
rapier144

Pretty damn good shooting for officer Sperr.Just not fast enough.
Old March 6, 2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Sulaco2

I think the majority of deaths in Kaliforna were from being hit by cars on the freeway after making traffic stops, rather than gun fire although there were those as well. And the Commish of Hiway patrols response to this death level? Hire councilers to see how the cops "FEEL" about being flattened by idiots!!!
Old March 7, 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Chris1911

Thats very sad to hear about Utica...I have a buddy in the village of Poland pretty close to Utica, I didn't realize Utica was that dangerous....
Old March 7, 2006, 04:08 PM   #7
rapier144

Chris

It depends on what part of utica you're in. I was there awhile ago and watched a dominos pizza delivery guy get robbed of his pizza in broad daylight.And bicycles must be community property because i watched several being taken while i was there.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:48 PM   #8
darkvibe

I visit the Rome/Utica area often. Utica has good and bad areas like anywhere else.

This is my own guess but I think a lot of the problems around the area are bacause of the state prisons. People get locked up and transfered around the state and end up in Marcy or Mohawk correctional facility. Their friends or families or whoever come to the area to be near them while they are here. It's possible that the low housing costs there are a factor.

Apparently crime runs in the family. If you read the paper in rome or utica they list all of the arrests that happen. There are many items in the log for things like drugs, robberies and assaults with "xxxxxxx of bronx" and "xxxxxxx of queens".

And before anyone reads too deep into all that I am NOT saying people from NYC are more likely to be a criminal. It's just that a large percentage of the inmates are from there because NYC is what, 40% of the states population or something like that? So there is bound to be about equal percentage of NYC residents in the state prison system.
Old March 7, 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Dwight55

Ohio just almost lost a Highway Patrolman just a few weeks ago. Stopped a guy for DUI, . . . got him out of the vehicle to pat him down, . . . out comes a .45 auto.

Suspect grabbed it and got off one shot, . . . officer managed to get missed somehow, . . . couldn't rassle the gun from him, . . . pulled out his piece and shot the bg in the head. Dash camera in the cruiser caught it all.

I really felt sorry for the bg's momma, . . . she just could not get it in her head that the officer shot her baby boy in the head, . . . cause her baby boy was trying his best to kill the officer.

Anyway, . . . tough job out there being an LEO.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 7, 2006, 08:27 PM   #10
AMT8951

Dwight55- My Sergant showed us that tape last week. Pretty disturbing, but it's good to see one where the good guy wins.

New Hartford is a fairly affluent susburb of Utica. The New Hartford PD is pretty small, about 30 Guys (same size as my PD). Utica has had all sorts of problems. It's one of those old burned out industrial towns that are so common in Upstate NY (ie Rochester, Buffalo, Amsterdam, Rome, Schenectady) It's not as bad as it was 5 yrs ago, but still pretty bad. They have a really bad problem with arson and drugs. They have murders fairly often, but usually it BG's killing BG's.
RIA Midsize .45acp
Glock 21
Olympic Arms M4
Win M70 .375 H&H
FN PBR .308
Win M69A .22
Mini-14
Ithica M37 Deerslayer 12ga
Remington 721 30/06
Old March 7, 2006, 08:28 PM   #11
AMT8951

Opps Double Post