The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 8, 2005, 04:15 PM   #1
ManChicken

Safe dehumidifer

I just recently got a Liberty safe (a Lincoln) and got a Goldenrod dehumidifier. Wondering what the best way to install it is, in the sense of the cord.

The safe is in a finished basement, sitting on carpet. I'm wondering, do you all drill a small hole in the side or back of the safe to run the cord out of, and how are you sealing it if so? My only other thought was to run it out one of the existing holes in the bottom where it was bolted to the pallette or where you would bolt it to the floor, but that might be a bad idea with the weight of the safe and the cord, even on carpet.. wouldn't want it to cut through somehow.

Just curious what everyone else has done.
Old May 8, 2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Frenchwrench

I asked the same question Saturday while looking at safes.The Champion Safe has small space at right rear corner(as you look in the door).You poke a screwdriver or awl through and run the cord,then mount the plug.It's under the carpeting.Yours may differ.
Old May 8, 2005, 06:52 PM   #3
BigBoreKindaGuy

A pound of cobalt chloride every three months or more depending on where one lives is the way to go. Better than a mechanical dehumidifier.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:57 AM   #4
johnbt

There should be a hole near, within a foot anyway, the lower right corner of the back. I don't remember if mine was plugged, capped or just covered with carpeting, but I do remember needing to use a screwdriver to punch through the fireproofing.

I wouldn't use anything but a Golden Rod, unless I didn't have access to electricity.

John
Old May 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #5
moredes

Youse guys ain't cheap enough....

I went to Home Depot and bought a grommet. After measuring it, I drilled a hole in a corner of the safe and cut an extension cord so I could thread it through. Then I spliced it back together, and installed a 5 watt bulb receptacle and "voila!". 5 watt bulbs are those teardrop christmas tree bulbs; they keep the 30cf safe around 70*, and I have to replace the bulb every 4 months or so. I used to have a Goldenrod, but the safe always got too hot; I was concerned about drying out my rifle stocks and some heirloom documents too much.
Old May 11, 2005, 11:56 AM   #6
mrstang01

BigBoreKindaGuy, where would one find a pound of cobalt chloride?
Old May 11, 2005, 01:10 PM   #7
claude783

I purchase dehumidifer packs at the hardware store. If I am not going to be getting into the safe for some time..will light a small candle to burn off all the oxygen in the safe.

No Oxygen, no rust!
Old May 11, 2005, 02:47 PM   #8
johnbt

Are you certain the door seals? Close the door on a dollar bill and see if it slides out - that's also known as the refrigerator door gasket test. The safes I've looked at used an expanding door seal that required heat to work. The Golden Rod requires air circulation to work properly as opposed to the crystals that require an airtight container to work well.

My Liberty came pre-drilled in the back and I believe they all do.

John
Old May 11, 2005, 08:20 PM   #9
ManChicken

Duh. OK, I just found the plug on the back right on the outside -- hehe, sometimes the obvious sails right past

Now the question is how to route the cord-- I don't want to just drill through the interior where the hole is, if I can avoid it.

Last edited by ManChicken; May 11, 2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:15 AM   #10
johnbt

It's only 3 layers of wallboard plus the carpet. - "4 layers ceiling, 3 layers wall of 5/8" fireboard"

Just drive a phillips head screwdriver through it. It's been so long that I don't remember if I had to cut a slit in the carpet, but there was plenty of room to run two wires.

John