The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2016, 09:33 AM   #51
peggysue

As when RUGER STILL ALIVE..IT IS STILL PC.(Not on ban list in MA.) Unlike EVIL AR'S

Last edited by peggysue; August 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old August 29, 2016, 11:44 AM   #52
zxcvbob

Re: GB with factory walnut

All I know about it is what was in the ad. It was a special run Ruger did; maybe for a state prison?

It throws the brass about 50 feet and dents it a little (don't they all do that?) but not enough to ruin it for reloading. And it likes Wolf steel-cased ammo as long as I use a steel magazine. Steel doesn't feed reliably from a plastic mag; I don't know why.

Last edited by zxcvbob; August 30, 2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old August 29, 2016, 09:03 PM   #53
mudlark

Series 196.

The thing will shoot as good as any AR seven days a week. (with me shooting both that is).

In a situation where a 5.56 is necessary, I'd pick my mini over my AR.

As others have written, I will not sell that rifle.
Old August 30, 2016, 09:48 AM   #54
rickyrick

The only two things that I don't like about my mini is the rock-in mags.

The other thing is my fault. I was using the mini for lots of varmint hunting so my wood was getting dinged up, so I ordered a polymer stock to use instead of wood... I hate this stock really, but the wood is gone now, I regret doing it an I will order a new stock one day.
Old August 30, 2016, 04:46 PM   #55
STEINER

I shoot two. Interesting that both are 580's bought around a year apart but
the first (stainless/composite) has the pencil barrel and the wood/blue I
picked up new around 2010 is the heavier tapered barrel.

The wood/blue with iron sights is my favorite rifle to shoot. Check out Tech-Sights.com Not sure of the spelling.
They use to (maybe still do) have 1" slings in cotton olive drab. Also, Techsights has a rear quick adjustable sight. No allen wrench needed.

When I shoot at the local range, I use a brass catcher net provided by the
range. If one is not available, I don't shoot with another shooter at least 20 feet to my right.

Can't compare the Mini14 to any other semi-auto, detachable mag 5.56/.223 because I have never shot one. They are stamped .223 but are chambered
5.56 and I have put a boat load of 5.56 down range with the Mini.
I think the only Mini 14 strickly .223 is the target model.

Oh... stick with Ruger mags.
The other brands are a gamble. I have some different 10 rounders that work fine but some shooters have had problems.

I love the safety. Right where any common sense designer would put it.

Enjoy.
Old September 1, 2016, 03:50 PM   #56
COSteve

Like budget ARs, the stock Mini14 isn't sub MOA accurate out of the box even with precision handloads, however, it can be easily and relatively cheaply made to be near MOA accurate with a few simple and inexpensive additions.

Here's another picture of my 583 Series Mini14 I bought in early 2015. It's been set up to produce 1¼" to 1½" groups at 100yds with my handloads and iron sights (by a young, skilled, CMP shooter). I'm not a bullseye shooter myself as my 68 yr old eyes don't support that accuracy level, but I do use it to shoot bowling pins at 200yds which I consider terrific accuracy for the carbine and on par with both my M1 Garands and M1A and much better than my M1 Carbines.

There are simple, proven methods to upgrade a new style Mini to this accuracy level that are easy for even the average gun owner to perform. They are discussed in detail on the Mini forum at PerfectUnion.com and consist of the following enhancements (which work for both the Mini14 and Mini30. (In no particular order, however, all of them are included in my Mini.)

Choate Handguard swap: $15 - Choate Handguard not only looks better but it cools the barrel much better than Ruger's. No, it doesn't cover the op rod but neither does the handguard on 5.5 million M1 Garands, 6.5 million M1 Carbines, and 1.4 million M14s.

Wilson 1911 Buffers: $6 (set of 6) - Addition of 2 Wilson 1911 (yep, pistol) bushing, one around the gas pipe in the front and one on the Op rod spring at the rear. Together, they will tone down the cycling jolts and eliminate metal to metal slamming.

Mini200 Rear Sight: $65 - Tech Sights' Mini200 rear sight gives better irons sighting and adjustment than Ruger's stock one. Add to that their $15 optional aperture package with 3 different aperture sizes and when you use the target .042" aperture, you have a NM like rear sight.

Thinned Front Sight: $0 - Thinning down the .075"-.077" thick front sight to .050", combined with a target .042" rear aperture gives you a 'NM' equivalent sight set.

Gas Bushing Reduction: $50 - Swap of the overly large stock Gas Bushing with a smaller one. Sets of .040", .045", .050", and .060" are available. My .045" Gas Bushing reduces the cycling violence which improves accuracy on the Mini14 while the .060" version works well with the Mini30. Shorter barreled Tactical models need a slightly larger aperture size. (The reduced size gas bushing gives the added benefit of reducing the distance your Mini throws brass. Mine went from 50-60 ft NIB to 12-15 ft currently with my handloads.)

Gas Block Torque: $0 - We've found that torquing the gas block bolts to 30 in/lbs when reassembling and keeping the upper and lower halve gaps consistent aides in accuracy.

Barrel Strut: $80 - Accu-Strut or $105 Mo-Rod, both barrel struts clamp to barrel and gas block to both dampen barrel harmonics and aide barrel cooling. Developed for pencil barreled where they do a lot of good but also help a bit on the new 58X series Minis.

Light Dressing of the Sears: $0 - Lightly polishing of the sears in the trigger group improves trigger function. Or step up to a Trigger Job: $55-$65 - Trigger Group job where the first stage is shortened and second stage is lightened. Just like a precision trigger on an AR, it really helps your precision shooting and if you want small groups, it's money well spent. Not needed for plinking but really helps decrease your group size.

Ruger Brand 20rd Magazines: $26-$28 on sale - Yes they are a bit more, however, they are durable and extremely reliable. Well worth the extra few bucks over the aftermarket versions because the flat work.

Of note for irons shooters. Even though Ruger advertises that the Minis have a 'normal' 13.5" LOP, I found that the 'Heel to Aperture' distance (top of the buttstock to the rear sight aperture) on the current model Mini Ranch Rifles measures 15.5". This is as opposed to a 14" Heel to Aperture distance on M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M14/M1As.

I found that this caused me to strain my neck forward trying to gain the same sight picture I am use to with the other platforms. As I have all three other platforms, plus more 'irons' rifles with the same 14" distance, I found the stock Mini rear sight awkward to use.

Adding the Techsight's great Mini200 rear sight does help a bit as it mounts such that the aperture is moved back .5" giving one a 15" Heel to Aperture distance. While a bit better, it still didn't feel right to me so I removed the buttpad and cut down the birch stock 1", reattached the buttpad, and sanded it down to meet the new buttstock profile.

This made a significant difference for me in that 1, I'm able to hold a natural sight picture with the rear sight, and 2, with my eye closer to the rear aperture, the use of a smaller aperture helps increase the DoF giving me a clearer view of the front sight and target; something us more 'seasoned' shooter need.
Old September 1, 2016, 06:34 PM   #57
SwwPlayboy

These are my two. Both rugers. Top one is the target model. Very much tack driver, that target model. The other is fine. I've entertained the idea of getting rid of it cause I use it very little. But I just keep it oiled encase its needed.

Old September 1, 2016, 08:33 PM   #58
flashhole

Very nice. How much does your target model weigh with the laminate stock?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 1, 2016, 11:55 PM   #59
SwwPlayboy

Probably close to 10 lbs. The thumb hole stock really makes it comfortable to handle and carry. And I just really like the look of it . I dont have an AR15 in a 223 to really compare them side by side at the range, but ill take it out against my friends and ill be toe to toe with him all day. The target model makes the difference.....imho
Old September 2, 2016, 09:33 AM   #60
Skans

COSteve, I really like that mini-14 setup you have. Very nice!

FWIW, I also agree that the Ruger factory magazines are well worth what you pay for them. The 30 round magazines, which can be found for about $40 are also well worth the investment. Buy 'em while you can. And, you don't need as many, because the Ruger magazines will last forever.
Old September 3, 2016, 06:03 AM   #61
SARuger

Question for the handloaders

For those that roll your own, what is your favorite recipe for a 55g AMAX/ZMAX and the 580 series?

I ran a ladder test yesterday and it seems 26-26.5g of BLC-2 or CFE 223 seems to be the sweet spot.

But, I'm always looking for a better recipe.

PM me if you would rather not publish your results
Old September 3, 2016, 11:05 AM   #62
flashhole

I roll my own. Shooting up a bunch of 60 grain bullets over H-4895 and they are pretty accurate. Once these are gone I will consider the new Mini through its break-in period and put the scope back on it. I have 10 different loads, 6 different bullets, 4 different powders, ready to be tested for accuracy.

Old September 3, 2016, 07:46 PM   #63
Average Joe

I had one, sold it, I could never do better than 5 inch groups at 100 yards.
Old September 4, 2016, 12:08 PM   #64
jismail

I have the same mods on my 581 but wasnt a big fan of the windage adjustment on the techsight I purchased for my 581 series ranch rifle. I wanted something that was more USGI looking and easierto use at the range but couldnt find anything for this series.

As a compromise, I modified the sight by grinding off the standard screw style adjuster into a post, then attached a windage knob I purchased off of Ebay in its place. I think it turned out pretty good and works well. It also gives the sight a more "GI" look and that is what I wanted for my particular rifle as it is setup to be more M14ish.

Here are the results - Maybe TechSights will see this and offer a version with this already done!

I also wanted a different look for my butt plate so i used an epoxy resin and cast a copy of my m14 plate for it.

Looks pretty close when sirring next to the real thing
Old September 4, 2016, 06:25 PM   #65
mavracer

That's pretty cool right there jismail, I especially like the butt plate.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 7, 2016, 07:17 AM   #66
flashhole

Some nice guns shown in this thread. I like creative thinking.

Anyone using the Ultimak or Amega rail in place of the stock hand guard? This aftermarket mod makes the most sense to me since you kill multiple birds with the same stone:

1) The attachment points integral to the gas block and barrel body will stiffen the barrel which should aid in more repeatable impacts. I like this idea better than the Accustrut.

2) It provides additional cooling via both ventilation and conduction.

3) It solves the problem of how to get a forward, side-mount sling attachment on the Mini with a screw on part.

4) The Picatinny rail gives you lots of mounting options and allows the gun to be used with forward mounted scout optics.

I will be adding a Harris bi-pod attachment and Blue Force sling to my Mini this week as soon as the parts arrive. Will likely pick up one of the two rails in the not too distant future.

Old September 7, 2016, 03:21 PM   #67
amprecon

I always wanted to like them, I even owned one for a short period. I just couldn't get over the lack of accuracy and the .223 caliber. I never went the Mini-Thirty route as some said the bores were .308 not .311.

I looked hard at the 6.8spc models, but the barrel specs were based on the anemic SAAMI specs for the round, could've got the reamer to fix it I supposed, but didn't want one that bad.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old October 11, 2016, 08:53 PM   #68
Tailsgunner

Here I go with a pic of a Mini 14. This is pretty old..over 20 years old, maybe more. Still in good shape, low mileage and no rust.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (46.7 KB, 475 views)
Old October 12, 2016, 02:21 PM   #69
Skans

SwwPlayboy, that target model of yours is one heck of a classy looking rifle! It just screams quality.

Tailsgunner, I can't tell you how many times I've tried to buy an underfolder stock like that one only to be outbid! Those are harder to find than an original sidefolding stock.
Old October 12, 2016, 07:07 PM   #70
Tailsgunner

Yes...I really like the folding stock. Very simple and yet has nice lines.

I think it's made by Federal Ordnance?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4250.jpg (60.0 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Tailsgunner; October 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old October 21, 2016, 08:46 AM   #71
flashhole

Sweet rig, how long is the barrel?

Old October 24, 2016, 10:28 AM   #72
Tailsgunner

I need to measure the barrel. I know it's a off the shelf Ranch Model but with the Federal Ordnance stock. Nothing else has been done to the M-14.
Old October 25, 2016, 03:52 PM   #73
COSteve

The normal Ranch Rifle model Mini barrel length is 18.5".
Old November 5, 2016, 11:10 AM   #74
flashhole

Here's my youngest daughter tearing up my newly made gong at ~150 yards.

This is the mini with the scope.

Now it has a Red Dot, much more fun.

Old November 5, 2016, 02:40 PM   #75
GunXpatriot

She's a great shot, Flash! I kind of feel like a total amateur now haha. And standing, too. That gong doesn't look very big, either!

I really am looking to get a Mini-14 myself. I did shoot a stainless w/ synthetic stock just like Flash's and I really fell in love with the thing, but I ended up with an SU-16 instead. A Mini is definitely on my "to buy" list.

Only thing is, I've heard they're not as accurate as some other guns, but I hear that about the SU-16 as well though I haven't benched it as of yet. I may just go with an old beat up Mini-14 just to get my feet wet, though I've heard those perform even worse before the several recent iterations... So many options, so little money.