The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2014, 09:08 AM   #101
wild cat mccane

The PPS is $500 new.

I think its beauty is, unlike the others, it's +whatever mags begin where it should-6. This means the grip can be very small and can go up at the users discretion. Not so with the Shield. 6 vs 7 as the starting grip length is a big deal to me.
Old September 21, 2014, 12:20 PM   #102
FlySubCompact

Don't own one but that little Shield 9mm is a dandy little pistol. Got to try one at the shooting range a while back. Comfy to shoot and it's rather thin. Well, thin as compared to my Glocks. Nice trigger, too.

If ejection of shells is a factor and a mark of reliability that thing was amazing in that regard. Most every shell flew back over the lady's right shoulder about 15' back and piled up near the range garbage can when she ran out a box of defense loads.

Also got to handle one of those new Ruger LC9's with the striker fire improvements at the gun store. Trigger on thing was also nice. Hope to trial shoot one of those too.
Old September 22, 2014, 12:18 AM   #103
skizzums

the shield has the best trigger I have ever used on a striker pistol. granted I have limited experience, only glocks, sd9ve, m&p and XD(m?). but it is really nice.
Old September 23, 2014, 08:06 PM   #104
keithdog

I carry a Shield day in, day out. Don't even know it is there. And never have I had a misstep at the range with it.
Old September 24, 2014, 08:45 PM   #105
Crazy Carl

I love my LC9s & shoot it as well as I do my G26. The G26 is my EDC, but bought the LC9s specifically for vest-pocket carry, while on the bike.
Old September 24, 2014, 08:50 PM   #106
jimbob86

Quote:
the shield has the best trigger I have ever used on a striker pistol. granted I have limited experience, only glocks, sd9ve, m&p and XD(m?). but it is really nice.
In that case, stay clear of the sR9c, or it'll cost you about $450.
Old September 24, 2014, 10:38 PM   #107
photoman12001

I got a chance the dry fire one of those striker LC9s. That trigger was shockingly good.
Old September 25, 2014, 03:18 AM   #108
AustinTX

The PPS is still pretty easily best of breed, in my opinion. It is a bit bigger than some of the others (in length/height, not width), so that might be an issue if you're looking for a 9mm for pocket carry. I don't wear clothes with pockets big enough for any 9mm I would rely on as a CCW, so it doesn't matter to me. Anyway, the gun is unsurpassed in refinement and build quality in this segment, perfectly reliable, and super-accurate. I have nothing but praise for mine.

On the other hand, I'll take a minority position and recommend against Kahr pistols. Kahrs are great in theory, but they're often lacking in execution. Perhaps the 9mm pistols are better than my P380 (four trips to the factory, two frame replacements, and every part but the slide replaced at least once), but Kahr's quality control across its polymer lineup leaves a lot to be desired.

After the PPS, the Beretta Nano would be my second choice. It and the PPS are the most refined of the mass-production pistols in this segment. This with the Nano costing several hundred dollars less than the PM9, which really blows my mind.

Avoid anything made by Taurus. Quality control is terrible, and chances are too high that you'll end up having to deal with their shoddy CS.

Last edited by AustinTX; September 26, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old September 26, 2014, 09:24 AM   #109
lapetrarca53

Another nod for the Taurus PT709. Mine's approaching 2000 rounds without a problem.

Love it!

I damned accurate too. Even at distances out to 40 feet.
Old September 26, 2014, 12:52 PM   #110
arktravler

The Sig 938
Old September 26, 2014, 04:28 PM   #111
BFMCBeaner

I know they have a bad rap with a lot of folks but Diamondback DB9, Mine has been reliable and it's tiny.

I would also say a Kel-Tec PF9, or the stellar Sig 938.
Old September 30, 2014, 12:50 AM   #112
FLChinook

I have an observation and a question (or 2):

Observation. I had a Rohrbaugh 9 elite and finally (and reluctantly) sold it because I could not shoot it without having the trigger guard bang my trigger finger. It drove me crazy. I tried everything (short of wearing a glove which kind of defeats the ability to deploy and fire quickly when needed). I wonder if any of the most recommended 9mm's here have the same problem.

Question. The P938 is SAO. When you carry this in a front jeans pocket, is a round chambered? Or do you have to rack the slide to fire?
Old September 30, 2014, 07:36 AM   #113
jimbob86

Quote:
Question. The P938 is SAO. When you carry this in a front jeans pocket, is a round chambered? Or do you have to rack the slide to fire?
Dunno 'bout you, but I would not carry a SAO C&L in my pocket...... not that that's an issue for me, because you'd need some seriously big mom jeans or a regular pair of clown pants to put a 938 into a pocket holster and then put that whole mess in a pocket big enough to get it out in a hurry. I refuse to wear such pantaloons.
Old September 30, 2014, 01:44 PM   #114
FLChinook

Another question. If the Boberg is so good (cost not withstanding), why are there so many for sale on GunBroker?

Quote:
you'd need some seriously big mom jeans or a regular pair of clown pants to put a 938 into a pocket holster and then put that whole mess in a pocket
I agree with this. But like the OP, I'm looking for something I can carry in my pocket (in my case, to replace my Rohrbaugh). Preferably a 9mm. Are any of the guns mentioned in this thread suitable for that?
Old September 30, 2014, 08:56 PM   #115
Crossfire Arms, LLC

I sell a lot of Shields. At $375.00 and a choice of safety or no safety, the ergonomics and slim profile make it an excellent choice for a CCW. I have had several customers purchase them for their spouses after owning one.
[email protected]
Old October 1, 2014, 10:21 AM   #116
Microgunner

My P938 came with a pocket holster in the box in the form of a plastic snap on/off trigger guard cover with a lanyard you attach to your belt.
When you draw the pistol from the pocket the cover snaps off freeing the pistol.
It takes a pretty good tug so accidental unholstering is unlikely and condition one carry is safe.
Old October 1, 2014, 11:30 AM   #117
FLChinook

Quote:
accidental unholstering is unlikely and condition one carry is safe
What you say is inconsistent to me. Because something is "unlikely" does not mean it's "safe". You have to define probabilities. Is "unlikely" 0.00001% or 0.01%? When I consider an accidental discharge of a firearm in my front pocket, I require 0.0000000001 probability of occurrence (I'd require zero if that were mathematically possible).

I don't know what the mechanics are that the P938 uses to keep a chambered round from accidentally discharging. Is there a lever that you can slide in-place to isolate the round? Lots of things can happen that might cause a round to be fired besides an accidental tug on the trigger.

The P938 is an absolutely great firearm. I'd love to hear more about how it could be safely (to my standard) carried in a pocket. Thanks
Old October 1, 2014, 01:12 PM   #118
Microgunner

I'd guess it's safe enough to satisfy SIG's lawyers.
Sounds like your degree of safety can only be proven to your satisfaction by yourself.
Please, let us know how it works out.
Old October 1, 2014, 03:15 PM   #119
FLChinook

Surely it's OK for different shooters to have different needs for safety. So we can just drop that issue. But can someone familiar with the P938 tell me what the actual safety devices are for this gun. Thanks
Old October 1, 2014, 03:34 PM   #120
Microgunner

It has a thumb operated sear blocking manual safety, an inertia firing pin, a passive trigger operated firing pin locking safety and muzzle disconnect safety.
And of course, the most important safety, the one between your ears.
Old October 1, 2014, 03:46 PM   #121
FLChinook

Very interesting. Thanks!! What is a muzzle disconnect safety?

A lot of shooters will not pocket carry a SAO. I wonder if the P938 has a high enough level of safety devices to overcome that General rule??
Old October 1, 2014, 04:13 PM   #122
Microgunner

A muzzle disconnect prevents the hammer from falling if the muzzle/slide is even slightly depressed. If dropped on the muzzle it won't go off.
As long as it's trigger is inaccessible an AD is impossible without a catastrophic failure of some sort. The trigger guard holster supplied by SIG prevents this trigger access.
The trigger guard holster grips tightly enough to allow the pistol to be dangled around your neck like a necklace.
Old October 1, 2014, 04:22 PM   #123
FLChinook

Do you have a P938? Some have said this gun is just too small for pocket carry. Would you agree with that sentiment?
Old October 1, 2014, 04:55 PM   #124
Microgunner

I do own a 938 and it's just small enough for pocket carry, depending on your pockets.
I don't pocket carry it though, rather I carry mine in an OWB pancake holster when I carry it, which is rarely. Instead, lately I've been carrying my Boberg 9 or Boberg 45.
Old October 2, 2014, 11:12 AM   #125
jimbob86

Quote:
Do you have a P938? Some have said this gun is just too small for pocket carry.
Folks with pockets that deep and wide should get a Korth for pocket carry.