The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 26, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1
centerfire1

New Marlin 925M 22 Mag

Hello,
I just purchased a new Marlin 925M Bolt Action 22 Mag. I took the gun to the range to shoot it for the first time today. To my surprise after firing the gun, it would not eject the case. After checking a few obvious things and removing the brass from the chamber I discovered that a new round would fit so tightly in the chamber (after the bolt was closed) that the extractor could not pull the fired brass out of the chamber. The extractor/ejector look fine on the gun. Everything seems to be in good working order on the extractor. I put a new round in the chamber (single shot style) and pressed it into the chamber to see how tight it felt and I could not pull it out. Anytime you press a new round into the chamber it fit extremely tight. I ran a patch through the barrel before I fired it the first time and the bore was clean. Has anyone experienced this on a new gun. Is there something I can do short of sending the gun back to Marlin? It shoots very accurate . Any suggestions?
Thanks for your input in advance.
T.J.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
bigb00mer

try different ammo, if that fails contact marlin
Old November 27, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
centerfire1

BigBoomer,

Thanks for your time. I did try three different types of ammo and that did not correct the problem. I suppose I will have to contact Marlin but I just hate to go through the hassle of sending the gun to them. It's a shame you have to go through this with a new gun.

Again, I appreciate your time.

T.J.
Old November 27, 2008, 02:59 PM   #4
bigb00mer

can you pull them out by hand?
Old November 27, 2008, 11:04 PM   #5
centerfire1

bigbOOmer,

Sorry, I just now had a chance to get back to you. No you can't pull them out by hand. Once the bolt is closed and you try to open the bolt to eject the shells they are stuck too hard. You can't pull them out by hand or with the extractor on the bolt. Even if you just push the shell in by hand as if you were loading single shot style, and you press the shell in hard, you can't pull them out by hand...
Old November 27, 2008, 11:10 PM   #6
centerfire1

bigbOOmer,

I also forgot to mention. On another forum site, someone suggested that I polish the chamber (a little at a time and not go in too far). I tried this and it did seem to help. I was a little too nervous about taking off too much metal so I didn't polish too much. The shells still stick but it does not seem quite as bad. I may try to polish a little more and see if it cures it.

The other person said the problem may be due to a ding on the face of the chamber. Like you would get if someone dry fired the rifle too much. The only problem I had with that is the fact that this is a new gun. I guess it's just a factory screwup.

T.J.